Metal Storm logo
Extraterrestrial life

Original post

Posted by , 20.06.2006 - 23:00
Very curious, I would like to ask you guys about your opinion in the possibility of existance of any extraterrestrial life (ET) in the ever-expanding boundless universe surrounding us... Weather your answer is yes or no, please support your opinion, and give reason to your choice.

I personally believe in the existance of extraterrestrial life out there, well for many reasons, one of which is that our galaxy, that is the Milky Way (which is of avarage size compared to other galaxies), contains approximately 200 billion stars, one of which is our sun itself. Surrounding our Milky way is approximately 186 billion galaxies, containing a couple of billion stars more or less. Well with this large number of stars (which may cause the possibility or impossibilty of the existance and survival of another life), there is a large possibility for life to evolve in this universe.
Here is a formula that interested me a lot and might interest you too. It is written by the famous astronomer Frank Drake:

N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

Where:
N* represents # of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy
fp is the fraction of stars that have planets around them
ne is the # of planets per star that are capable of sustaining life
fl is the fraction of planets in ne where life evolves
fi is the fraction of fl where intelligent life evolves
fc is the fraction of fi that communicate
fL is fraction of the planet's life during which the communicating civilizations live
N the # of communicating civilizations in the galaxy

The following formula calculates the number of communicating civilizations in a certain galaxy, and i think its very rational...
So what do you fellows think and why?

Poll

Do you believe in the possible existance of any extraterrestrial life?

Yes
No

Total votes: 70
11.05.2007 - 16:18
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 21.06.2006 at 09:40

I do belive in extraterestial life as long as we're talking about micro-organisms, but I just can't belive that other humanoid craetors live out there, but if humanoids do exist, IMO they were created to kill us. I mean they would be a copy of humans, and this is not some egocentric thought, cuz if you look at a human, biologicaly, you'll see, that it is pretty damn perfect. And because you can't make perfect twice, alinens would be copies.

But I don't see the reason for an alien to exist (I don't see ours either).

That would be "perfect" for OUR environmet.. They might live on a planet with a slightly different gravity or slightly different oxygenhalt in the air and so on, theese small differences would mean a huge different in the "final" product of evolution..
11.05.2007 - 17:38
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 11.05.2007 at 16:18

Written by Damnated on 21.06.2006 at 09:40

I do belive in extraterestial life as long as we're talking about micro-organisms, but I just can't belive that other humanoid craetors live out there, but if humanoids do exist, IMO they were created to kill us. I mean they would be a copy of humans, and this is not some egocentric thought, cuz if you look at a human, biologicaly, you'll see, that it is pretty damn perfect. And because you can't make perfect twice, alinens would be copies.

But I don't see the reason for an alien to exist (I don't see ours either).

That would be "perfect" for OUR environmet.. They might live on a planet with a slightly different gravity or slightly different oxygenhalt in the air and so on, theese small differences would mean a huge different in the "final" product of evolution..

they'd have blue hair, lol. it is a theory, and a logical one too, but i just can't belive that other intelligent lifeforms are out there. it would be logical considering the number of plantes and so, but i don't accept evolution, so i don't care about the numbers
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.05.2007 - 17:48
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 11.05.2007 at 17:38

they'd have blue hair, lol. it is a theory, and a logical one too, but i just can't belive that other intelligent lifeforms are out there. it would be logical considering the number of plantes and so, but i don't accept evolution, so i don't care about the numbers

You dont believe in evolution?!??!
12.05.2007 - 00:58
Carrion
Account deleted
I definetly believe that there's extraterrestial life, partly because I think it's really possible and partly because this earth is rotting to dead, and I would like to know that there is/are ruling specie(s) that really know to live with nature and still be highly developed. But it would be a big coinsidence, "a miracle", if we would actually see this outerspace life someday.
12.05.2007 - 01:25
tulkas
el parcero
I voted yes. I've always thought that just only our galaxy is too damn big for it to be habited by just us. I mean, there's a lot of different environments throughout our galaxy and others for many different types of life, intelligent in many cases, for us to be the only ones out there.

Besides, it'd be a waste if it's just the humans living here, 'cause at least IMO we're not the best specie around...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
12.05.2007 - 02:11
Relentless
Account deleted
Has intelligent life already visited us? The pyramids in Egypt and South America? Considering the time of their construction was the human race advanced enough to construct them without some 'help'? I don't know the answer but I have these thoughts.

Or are there paralell universes coinciding with ours in the space time construct? Who knows, but it's bloody interesting stuff. Of course alien life is out there we would be pompous bastards to think otherwise.
13.05.2007 - 19:23
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 11.05.2007 at 17:48

You dont believe in evolution?!??!

i usually accept evolution, but i don't agree with it's start, it's foundation. how did single cell organisms evolve into multicellular organisms? it is absurd. and the funny thing is, that some scientists tried to replicate this in labs, by speeding up time and whatnot, but it didn't work. the 'mutation' did not happen.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.05.2007 - 03:09
Fhuesc

What!!!, evolution is everywhere, what are you writing doesnt have any foundation, theres a lot evidence of evolution, i think that you need to read more, and by the way, scientist arent wizards or alchemists, we dont creat things.

Edit: i do think that theres extraterrestrial life, because life its a simple reaction that could happen anywhere
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
16.05.2007 - 11:21
MadGatsu

Im the "see to believe" type of guy. Not saying they dont exist, i just wont believe it until i see it with my own eyes. Same thing as religion for me. Voted "no" :p
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
20.05.2007 - 07:36
Trifixion
Account deleted
Definitely yes. Just think of space in general, think of the size of it. It's filled with galaxies, and to think that infinite space holds ONE single planet with intelligent life on it is crazy. I mean we can't prove it or anything but I think by sheer probability and numbers there's at LEAST a possibility.
20.05.2007 - 10:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
it's an extremely slim chance indeed that there isn't even one other planet in the universe with intelligent life on it. it's just so arrogant and so medievally close-minded to say that we're unique in the vastness of space. i mean, come on.. some people just can't accept that in 37.200.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 stars in our universe, there's only one with a blue, warm, and oxigen-rich planet that harbours intelligent life.
20.05.2007 - 11:59
DeathMuffin

Since our universe is so huge and there could be other universes even larger, I'm pretty sure that there's another life-friendly place out there. But I don't think we'd ever be able to see them to believe it...if they're millions of lightyears away then even if we had a way of seeing that far all we'd see is the planet as it was a long time ago. I think if extraterrestrial life is watching us right now then all they'd probably be seeing is an empty planet with huge rocks, volcanoes etc...before life evolved here.
14.06.2007 - 15:30
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Defiantly a yes, there a stupid amount of planets out there an just because everything we know exists with oxygen etc. who is to say that there isnt a planet with a completely differnt makeup with different life forms that exist on different things....Its to big to think about.
28.06.2007 - 00:02
Pinusar
Account deleted
This is probably similar to what Im_Haunted said. I believe that there might be completely different lifeforms. If I remember correctly we usually refer to living beings as such, that consist of carbon(besides other things like breeding etc.) and other such elements. But maybe on other planets lifeforms exist for example of compeltely different elements, for example such, that are not even known to inhabitants of the Earth. Also maybe there is completely different life system, for example, organisms don't need oxygen there because they don't need to breathe and function completely differently etc. In my opinion, it is just too hard to imagine what kind of things there might be in the universe. To sum it up, I believe that there probably is life outside our planet, probably even intelligent but I feel I can't really judge about the Universe because I probably have too shallow idea of it.
28.06.2007 - 15:04
Ernis
狼獾
I voted yes...one reason is that I'm a religious person and I believe that there is God and other heavenly creatures who can be anywhere in the Universe...besides...there's nothing impossible for God so...the possibility that other worlds and realms and dimensions and universes exist is one hundred per cent sure....
Now to think...universe is so big...contains a lot of space...that'd be weird and stupid if it were just us on this Earth....it would be as if a computer had ten thousand terabytes of space and only one bit of it is actually in use......what a waste of space that'd be...and I agree with Tulkas....we aren't the best....
03.07.2007 - 19:13
selken
Irreligious
I voted yes, the earth is just another planet, theres room for millions and millions of planets, the alien life is beyond our imagination, they can be micro, or absurdly huge, as dumb as you and me, and so on. Theres no way to reject that, even if you are religious.
----
03.07.2007 - 21:57
[southern]metal

Its absolutely possible. The universe is so immense, the idea that life elsewhere doesn't exist is absurd to me.
----
oderint dum metuant
03.07.2007 - 22:39
Account deleted
I think the more absurd question is not whether extraterrestrial life exists, but rather if it doesn't exist. It is accepted by most astronomers that there are billions of stars in our galaxy, and hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe... that we know of. Most galaxies are so far away, we would never see the light from it's stars. It would take trillions of years for their light to reach our planet, by then we will be LONG gone. It is certainly plausible that the universe could be infinite. Now, as for extraterrestrial life, I think that it's almost certain. Even if the odds are extremely low that certain conditions must be met for intelligent life to harbor a planet, say, a couple tenths of percent, that still means that HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of planets theoretically have the exact conditions to harbor life. The problem is, we are, or never will be (in my opinion) technologically advanced enough to explore the universe and look for other life. It's not that we aren't capable, but I think our race is so weak and unevolved that we will never be able to explore our universe due to our selfish natures and ongoing, never ending conflicts between ourselves. It is also certainly possible that there could be alien life on this planet right now, but they are so advanced that they choose to not make their presence known. If there are alien civilizations billions of light years away and they are evolved and technologically advanced enough to travel to our small planet, they must have went through some hard times to have evolved this far.
05.07.2007 - 16:55
Pinusar
Account deleted
If the universe is infinite, then if I'm not mistaken there must also be infinite amount of planets with intelligent life, but I don't know, it is quite hard for me to imagine such things.

avatarofdiscord, it is indeed possible that there are some alien lifeforms now on our planet, because they might exist in a way we can't even imagine, for example in another dimension or something similar. Although now it might seem totally impossible to reach a planet with intelligent life for humans, I think this can be achieved. Because if I remember correctly, the nearest planet with conditions for life was about 1000 light years away from Earth, so even if humans reached the speed of light, they could not reach it, but I think in the future it might somehow be still possible.
21.08.2008 - 16:48
5.T.4.L.k.E.R

this subject has always fascinated me. and i believe in "the existence of extraterrestrial life (ET) in the ever-expanding boundless universe surrounding us.."

well, i have watched a lot of documentaries of National Geographic, History Channel and others, ranging from the Birth of the Universe, the Big Bang Theory, our Earth, ET, Humans on their journey to other worlds, Aliens, etc...

and like i said, i find them very interesting... in one of those documentaries, a futurist and a scientist actually said that he believes that "in about 25 years we would make contact with aliens" or beings from the other worlds.

i was really glad to hear this, cos seriously, i can't wait for such a majestic event. and i don't really wanna think of them being our enemies or otherwise, i just want them here!!!

i recommend anyone interested to watch those documentaries from NGC and History Channel... mentioned abpve aren't the actual titles, but that should give you an idea...

P e a c e
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
21.08.2008 - 18:38
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by 5.T.4.L.k.E.R on 21.08.2008 at 16:48

this subject has always fascinated me. and i believe in "the existence of extraterrestrial life (ET) in the ever-expanding boundless universe surrounding us.."

well, i have watched a lot of documentaries of National Geographic, History Channel and others, ranging from the Birth of the Universe, the Big Bang Theory, our Earth, ET, Humans on their journey to other worlds, Aliens, etc...

and like i said, i find them very interesting... in one of those documentaries, a futurist and a scientist actually said that he believes that "in about 25 years we would make contact with aliens" or beings from the other worlds.

i was really glad to hear this, cos seriously, i can't wait for such a majestic event. and i don't really wanna think of them being our enemies or otherwise, i just want them here!!!

i recommend anyone interested to watch those documentaries from NGC and History Channel... mentioned abpve aren't the actual titles, but that should give you an idea...

P e a c e

Have you read the novel Contact by Carl Sagan? It's a very good one about the search for extraterrestrial life, the conflict between religion and science and many other things about the universe as well. I mean, it's only a novel but it gives lots of real information, real knowledge, it's not that kind of cheap and unrealistic science-fiction. There's also a movie based on the book starring Jodie Foster (and again, really worth watching)
22.08.2008 - 11:00
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 21.08.2008 at 18:38

Written by 5.T.4.L.k.E.R on 21.08.2008 at 16:48

P e a c e

Have you read the novel Contact by Carl Sagan? It's a very good one about the search for extraterrestrial life, the conflict between religion and science and many other things about the universe as well. I mean, it's only a novel but it gives lots of real information, real knowledge, it's not that kind of cheap and unrealistic science-fiction. There's also a movie based on the book starring Jodie Foster (and again, really worth watching)

I've seen the movie Contact for the first time not too long ago, and I must say it was the best movie I've ever seen about Extraterrestrial life. It's a sci-fi movie, ok.. but IMO everything in the movie is possible.

@5.T.4.L.k.E.R - I also watch a lot of those documentaries you're talking about in NCG and HC. I was actually glad to hear the man (can't remember his name) saying that he believes in 25 years we're going to make contact, but honestly I doubt it's going to happen.. someday we will, but I don't believe we're going to be able to see it.
BTW I don't believe in UFO sightings or Alien abductions. They're there, somewhere, but they probably still don't know of our existence either.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
22.08.2008 - 11:16
Oracle
Orcinus
I believe that there is something else out there. I mean the universe is very Vast and it just makes sense to think there is other forms of intelligent life forms out there. No one really knows for sure whats out there because the universe is too big to explore and to find answers but it is highly possible that there is more life out there.
22.08.2008 - 11:49
5.T.4.L.k.E.R

Written by Guest on 21.08.2008 at 18:38

i've heard of them both, but i haven't watched or read... would love to
----
22.08.2008 - 11:56
5.T.4.L.k.E.R

Written by Dark Blood on 22.08.2008 at 11:00

@5.T.4.L.k.E.R - I also watch a lot of those documentaries you're talking about in NCG and HC. I was actually glad to hear the man (can't remember his name) saying that he believes in 25 years we're going to make contact, but honestly I doubt it's going to happen.. someday we will, but I don't believe we're going to be able to see it.
BTW I don't believe in UFO sightings or Alien abductions. They're there, somewhere, but they probably still don't know of our existence either.

yeah man i believe you. about the UFO aightings and abductions, i don't believe in them either. but there's something really interesting about crop circles, AREA 51 [BTW, if u haven't already listened, check out the song: Hypocrisy - Roswell 47, Megadeth - Hangar 18, they're about the AREA 51 UFO incident ] and UFO sighting and abductions.

yeah and if they've found out about us, i'm sure they would have let us known or showed up!!!
----
22.08.2008 - 11:58
5.T.4.L.k.E.R

Written by Oracle on 22.08.2008 at 11:16

I believe that there is something else out there. I mean the universe is very Vast and it just makes sense to think there is other forms of intelligent life forms out there. No one really knows for sure whats out there because the universe is too big to explore and to find answers but it is highly possible that there is more life out there.

yeah
----
06.11.2008 - 17:46
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I believe i Extraterrestrial life, cause i think our universe is to big for us to be alone in it, i wish i could encounter an Extraterrestrial or see a flying saucer someday
06.11.2008 - 18:45
Elio
Red Nightmare
I think there's the possibility that we are not alone...come on dudes, the Universe is infinite and we now nothing about it...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.11.2008 - 01:29
Dark Blood
The Avenger
^ Exactly.. If the universe is infinite like they say, makes it hard to believe that we're the only intelligent beings in it..
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
07.11.2008 - 05:07
PsychoNerd

The matter of the fact is that it is highly unlikely that there ISN'T extraterrestrial life. I mean theres no chance in the world that out of all the millions of planets that were the only ones living.
----
The computer Nerd