09. Black Sabbath Medley [CD bonus] [Black Sabbath cover]

Disc II [bonus]
01. Mirror Mirror [live]
02. The Bells Of Acheron [live]
03. Bearer Of Pain [live]
04. A Cry From The Crypt [live]
05. Interview
+ Mirror Mirror [video]

With time Candlemass deservedly won the reputation of Metal Legends and I think it's fair to say that there are four main reasons for their status: "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus," "Nightfall," "Ancient Dreams" and "Tales Of Creation." There's no denying it, these albums are absolute cornerstones of Metal; the originators of the Doom genre, they are full of brilliant songs and music played like no other band had ever played.

The long songs with complex structures presented in "Ancient Dreams" manage to invoke such a haunting but pleasant atmosphere that grabs the listener's attention almost immediately. The brilliant Messiah Marcolin adds so much intensity and emotion to the music that it's impossible not to feel the power of these songs. The amount of incredible memorable riffs and well executed solos are enough to surprise anyone too.

Right when the album starts you can also understand why Candlemass are often mentioned as an epic band because that's exactly the feeling that "Mirror, Mirror" (heavy), "A Cry From The Crypt" (darker), and "Darkness In Paradise" (catchier) transmit. It's with songs like "Incarnation Of Evil" and "Epistle No. 81" that you have the really slow side, though. They progress in a sad mood with little variation but they will leave you breathless all the same, that's the power of good Doom Metal. Other tunes like "Bearer Of Pain" and "Ancient Dreams" end up having a bit of everything, which only raises to the high quality of the album.

At the closing track Candlemass surprises us (or maybe not, since they always said this was their stronger influence) with a medley only of Black Sabbath songs. You'll recognize "Symptom Of The Universe," "Sweet Leaf," "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," "Into The Void," "Electric Funeral," and "Supernaut." You'll not believe how consistent and singular this is, if you're not fully concentrated you'll hardly notice when it changes to a different part. If you like Black Sabbath, as I do, but prefer Messiah Marcolin over any vocalist from the British band, as I do too, then you can take this one as a highlight even before you hear the album.

The album production also gains a good amount of praise. The sound is clear and powerful, the heaviness of the guitars, whether it's the slow riffs ("Incarnation Of Evil") or the slightly more upbeat ones ("Mirror, Mirror"), is astonishing, basically all the elements are present in the right places and proportions.

I still have a hard time deciding which are my favourite Candlemass albums; I normally mention "Tales Of Creation" as my number one but I don't dare to choose a runner up, it's practically impossible (even more with the release of the self titled in 2005). And I don't think many fans can do it either. For that, this is a mandatory release for the Doom Metal lovers. For beginners this is the place to start. For everyone else, well, you should give it a listen too because this is pure Metal.

Written by Passenger | 20.06.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 117 users
20.06.2006 - 23:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just an interesting little sidenote here... ON the orignal vinyl version which was released in 1988 the Black Sabbath wasn't on it. That only later surfaced when the album was released on cd a couple of years later. But at the time (1988) they did however play the Black Sabbath medley live quite often.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2006 - 02:38
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Nice trivia. By the way, do you actually own that vinyl version? Because it looks like one of those perfect collector's item
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
21.06.2006 - 15:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Yes, I own the vinyl version. BTW, also the vinyl versions of Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Nightfall, bought them all in the years they were released.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.01.2010 - 06:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
The worst of the three first albuns, but still very good. Two songs stand-out as the bests to me: ''Darkness In Paradise'' and ''The bells of Acheron''.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.08.2010 - 00:54
Rating: 10
Papa_Ray

I think this album is a bit underrated. I think it easily stands shoulder to shoulder with the other 3 albums Candlemass released in the '80s. I tend to get a lot out of it because lyrically it's so mystical and I love that.
30.08.2010 - 01:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
To me this one, although not as good as the first two, is way superior to Tales Of Creation.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2010 - 13:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
My least favourite of the first 4 albums but I still love the crap out of it. I think Messiah, at times, becomes a little too overdramatic on this one, on Mirror, Mirror for example.
20.02.2017 - 23:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice review, but i would say epicenes of epic is 1th album, rest is more good doom, some epic reminds, but not so epic anymore
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9638 | This month: 10