Users visited: 381  
Search this topic:  
Whose solos do you find better?

Dave157
Kirk116

Total votes: 273

The original post

Posted by K†ulu on 22.05.2008 at 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Page 10 of 10

blacktooth85

03.04.2011 at 23:17
Davey Boy
K†ulu
Seeker of Truth

04.04.2011 at 15:28
Written by Death To Posers on 08.03.2011 at 01:24

Kirk all the way.

Written by IDieForMetal on 21.03.2011 at 03:24

I prefer Dave.

Written by blacktooth85 on 03.04.2011 at 23:17

Davey Boy

Any reasons for your choices, dudes? Give me some solos you like.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King

06.04.2011 at 20:39
Mustaine's solos as a whole seem more forced to me, they don't go with the song as well as Kirk's. Listen to Rattlehead and then Creeping Death, two of my favorite songs.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
SuicidalCyco
No Mercy

26.10.2011 at 23:53
I'd say Dave. alot of his solos seem to fit to the songs better, and seem to speak almost. alot of Kirk's are just fast, and although extremely fast solos are gnarly, thats not everything. I do enjoy both guitarists solos, just i prefer Dave's more, but here are my top five from both:

Dave:
1. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
2. New World Order
3. In My Darkest Hour
4. Tornado of Souls
5. She Wolf

Kirk:
1.Jump In The Fire (Written by Dave)
2. Ride The Lightning (Written by Dave)
3. Lepper Messiah
4. Dyers Eve
5. Whiplash
----
The sun may never set on the British empire, but it never sets on my asshole either.
Angelic Storm
Melodious

28.10.2011 at 11:44
@metalheadpunk: You made a few mistakes in your lists... 1. Dave doesn't play the solo in "Tornado Of Souls", it's Marty Friedman's solo. 2. Dave only wrote the main riff in "Ride The Lightning", the solo, at least the one on the album version, was created by Kirk. Just listening to it lets you know that Dave couldn't play the solo like that. 3. Its funny that you wrongly credited the "Ride The Lightning" solo to Dave, but didn't credit him with the "Whiplash" solo, which is in fact his.

My top 5 solos from them both would probably be:

Dave Mustaine

1. My Last Words
2. Holy Wars
3. Blackmail The Universe
4. New World Order
5. Black Curtains

Kirk Hammett

1. Hit The Lights
2. The Shortest Straw
3. The Four Horsemen (Melodic solo in the middle of the song)
4. Creeping Death
5. Disposable Heroes
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

28.10.2011 at 21:56
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.10.2011 at 11:44
You made a few mistakes in your lists...

Marcel has already tried to explain the history of thrash to him but I think he's set in his beliefs.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Metalandy92

26.10.2012 at 12:38
Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 19:04

Written by BitterCOld on 23.05.2008 at 10:35

while Kirk might have gotten boring with/since the black album,...

voted for kirk. cause he is one of best guitarists ever. but 100% dave isnt. maybe "Marty Friedman" is one of the best ever.

but how can u say kirk is borring at Black Album!!!!! i think u didn think and said that. if u hate black album, u can but u cant say that kirk was bad for example at "wherever ever I May Roam" or other songs too.

Dave is 100 times better than Kirk whammet
FourMechALYX

07.11.2012 at 20:52
Dave, definitely. I think his solos are exciting and unexpected, they don't blend in to the song they rip it onto a new course, in a good, transitioning way. I also am limited in how much I can like Kirk's solos given that I think he uses the wah way too much, almost as crutch, filler or fallback. I think that Dave's are much more creative and dramatic.
----
"Well, looks like the country is stuck between a Kerry King wristband and a hard place..."

"Cool story bro, tell it to Reader's Digest."
Dentura
Shadow King

29.11.2012 at 19:57
If you asked me, definitely Kirk. Even though I hardly listen to Metallica anymore (if at all), I've always liked his style.
----
...And so death to the falsity of thy former rulers. Thy kingdom of "heaven" burns in a field of fire, and Dentura is the one true God thou must yield thy hearts and souls to in absolute submission. It is his ultimate decree and will unto thee..
megadeath13
Account deleted
  01.12.2012 at 16:06
Dave Mustaine. Kirk hammett was great, but he isnt as creative as Dave. James Hetfield is better than Kirk anyway.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]

Login or register to post here.