Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
04.04.2011 - 15:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Death To Posers on 08.03.2011 at 01:24

Kirk all the way.

Written by IDieForMetal on 21.03.2011 at 03:24

I prefer Dave.

Written by blacktooth85 on 03.04.2011 at 23:17

Davey Boy

Any reasons for your choices, dudes? Give me some solos you like.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.04.2011 - 20:39
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Mustaine's solos as a whole seem more forced to me, they don't go with the song as well as Kirk's. Listen to Rattlehead and then Creeping Death, two of my favorite songs.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
26.10.2011 - 23:53
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I'd say Dave. alot of his solos seem to fit to the songs better, and seem to speak almost. alot of Kirk's are just fast, and although extremely fast solos are gnarly, thats not everything. I do enjoy both guitarists solos, just i prefer Dave's more, but here are my top five from both:

Dave:
1. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
2. New World Order
3. In My Darkest Hour
4. Tornado of Souls
5. She Wolf

Kirk:
1.Jump In The Fire (Written by Dave)
2. Ride The Lightning (Written by Dave)
3. Lepper Messiah
4. Dyers Eve
5. Whiplash
28.10.2011 - 11:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@metalheadpunk: You made a few mistakes in your lists... 1. Dave doesn't play the solo in "Tornado Of Souls", it's Marty Friedman's solo. 2. Dave only wrote the main riff in "Ride The Lightning", the solo, at least the one on the album version, was created by Kirk. Just listening to it lets you know that Dave couldn't play the solo like that. 3. Its funny that you wrongly credited the "Ride The Lightning" solo to Dave, but didn't credit him with the "Whiplash" solo, which is in fact his.

My top 5 solos from them both would probably be:

Dave Mustaine

1. My Last Words
2. Holy Wars
3. Blackmail The Universe
4. New World Order
5. Black Curtains

Kirk Hammett

1. Hit The Lights
2. The Shortest Straw
3. The Four Horsemen (Melodic solo in the middle of the song)
4. Creeping Death
5. Disposable Heroes
28.10.2011 - 21:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.10.2011 at 11:44
You made a few mistakes in your lists...

Marcel has already tried to explain the history of thrash to him but I think he's set in his beliefs.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.10.2012 - 12:38
Metalandy92
Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 19:04

Written by BitterCOld on 23.05.2008 at 10:35

while Kirk might have gotten boring with/since the black album,...

voted for kirk. cause he is one of best guitarists ever. but 100% dave isnt. maybe "Marty Friedman" is one of the best ever.

but how can u say kirk is borring at Black Album!!!!! i think u didn think and said that. if u hate black album, u can but u cant say that kirk was bad for example at "wherever ever I May Roam" or other songs too.

Dave is 100 times better than Kirk whammet
07.11.2012 - 20:52
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
Dave, definitely. I think his solos are exciting and unexpected, they don't blend in to the song they rip it onto a new course, in a good, transitioning way. I also am limited in how much I can like Kirk's solos given that I think he uses the wah way too much, almost as crutch, filler or fallback. I think that Dave's are much more creative and dramatic.
29.11.2012 - 19:57
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
If you asked me, definitely Kirk. Even though I hardly listen to Metallica anymore (if at all), I've always liked his style.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
01.12.2012 - 16:06
megadeath13
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine. Kirk hammett was great, but he isnt as creative as Dave. James Hetfield is better than Kirk anyway.
02.02.2019 - 22:59
I gotta say something about Mr. Hammett in general here, folks. Remember the ol' Slayer video War at the Warfield? Was yours bootlegged? anyhoo... when they interviewed Metallica ( pause for ... ) they were trying to make fun of Hammett. it's pretty obvi with the editing and all. Specifically when Mr. Hammett says "slaytanic". Here's the deal knuckle sandwiches, the camera man is wearing a slaytanic shirt and actually tries to correct the celebrity while on camera. The Warfield is in San Fran Crisco. and Mr. Hammett who thinks quick cuz he plays a musical intstrument quick, decides to comment on Slayer's venue choice. Do you think the writer of Disposable Heroes is a gay? Those axes have a lot of momentum, and handle like a spear while still on the shoulder. And about this grammar of the wah abuse. Professor Satch taught Mr. Hammett. No one says He is abusing the wah, or whac-ing the whammies, or singing "less than best episode ever". Kirk needs to trim his fingernails or something.
10.08.2019 - 21:34
Neronino
Does it worth an arguement? Dave, absolutely.
03.11.2019 - 21:34
All Metal
Among my guitar playing friends and I, Metallica was for the most part considered something to roll your eyes on. Megadeth is something to be taken seriously. Dave's licks aren't exactly a walk in the park to play and they're just better in all ways in deliverance.