Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
27.06.2008 - 18:05
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 27.06.2008 at 17:58

Written by Hamird on 27.06.2008 at 17:50

Written by Dane Train on 27.06.2008 at 17:42

Written by Guest on 27.06.2008 at 17:41

if someone asks me: "do u like kirk?" i will answer not. cause i dont like his acts. but no one can close his eyes to his guitar skills. so funny when u compare kirk to mustain.

Ah...what?

Exactly, Dave Mustaine must be compared with someone like Chuck Schuldiner from Death and Hammet must be compared with someone like Munkey from Korn
Guitar skills??? don't you ever heard a name of Jack Owen or Ralph Santolla????

omg jack owen is wearin so unmetal lol with his red fuckin guitar and glasses pffff (kiddin) and he is bald yeah ARGH lol

Read 101 rules of death metal, a death metalhead must be bald or long haired
27.06.2008 - 18:26
Candlemass
Defaeco
Kirk.
even tho I think Dave is a better Guitarist overall.
27.06.2008 - 23:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Although I am a huge fan of Metallica's first three ( and having seen Metallica live 25 times between 1983 and 1992) I never really liked Kirk's playing AT ALL. And I was even GLAD there weren't any solos on St. Anger so then he couldn't fuck them up. Kirk's biggest problem IMO is that he can't keep his foot of those horrible wah-wah pedals.

PLease give my Dave Mustaine's guitar skills over Kirk's any time of the day. IMO even James is a better guitar player than Kirk.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.06.2008 - 23:56
Yellow

Dave is King no doubt!:banger:
28.06.2008 - 09:56
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2008 at 23:12

Although I am a huge fan of Metallica's first three ( and having seen Metallica live 25 times between 1983 and 1992) I never really liked Kirk's playing AT ALL. And I was even GLAD there weren't any solos on St. Anger so then he couldn't fuck them up. Kirk's biggest problem IMO is that he can't keep his foot of those horrible wah-wah pedals.

PLease give my Dave Mustaine's guitar skills over Kirk's any time of the day. IMO even James is a better guitar player than Kirk.

its really wonderful that someone like u said such things! but Marcel dont u think metallica fans (some as me) dont like Kirk cause of his acts? cause as i know and remember even someone like Kerry King was sad that metallica didn let kirk to play solo's at St.Anger, but Kerry himself is one of the most Metallica haters as i know! but anyway its just ur opinion.

Edit:

1.best 100 rock guitarsit:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

kirk is 35th and dave is 173th
----------------
2.greates guitarists ever:(top 10)

http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/greatest-guitarists-ever.asp

kirk is 9th and dvae isn there
----------------
3.the most important rock magazine Rolling Stone's top 100 guitarists:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/archive/index.php/t-30239.html

kirk is 11th and where is dave?!!
----------------
4.top 100 guitar solo's:

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm

kirk is 7th(one), 24th (fade to black), 51the(master of puppets) and where is dave?!!

-----------------

im not talkin with emotions and i think its better to be fair when say an oppinion!!
28.06.2008 - 10:39
Hamird
Lieutenant
Oh, I'm sure you joking!!! Do you mean that you believe in such lists??? Come on! Is these lists includes most of powerful Death metal, Doom metal, and other genres of metal? you are talking in Metalstorm! The Only thing that is right in these list that Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton are in the first place and 2econd place! And know that personally I just read polls of Rolling Stones and not any other lists! and funny this time in Rolling Stones sucked at sorting list, because it's list had no Slash, Chuck Schuldiner, Rikardo Amorim and Joe Satriani (Kirk's teacher) and then Kurt Cobain is number 12... and also Ed O'brine and Greenwood of Radiohead are in the list and still no Master Jack Owen! Can you believe that??? Kurt Cobain is my idol, my favorite Rockstar of all time, but he has not such a talent to be number 12 at the list!! Give your own reason, these polls are not reliable, just like YAHOO!'s
28.06.2008 - 10:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 28.06.2008 at 10:39

Oh, I'm sure you joking!!! Do you mean that you believe in such lists??? Come on! Is these lists includes most of powerful Death metal, Doom metal, and other genres of metal? you are talking in Metalstorm! The Only thing that is right in these list that Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton are in the first place and 2econd place! And know that personally I just read polls of Rolling Stones and not any other lists! and funny this time in Rolling Stones sucked at sorting list, because it's list had no Slash, Chuck Schuldiner, Rikardo Amorim and Joe Satriani (Kirk's teacher) and then Kurt Cobain is number 12... and also Ed O'brine and Greenwood of Radiohead are in the list and still no Master Jack Owen! Can you believe that??? Kurt Cobain is my idol, my favorite Rockstar of all time, but he has not such a talent to be number 12 at the list!! Give your own reason, these polls are not reliable, just like YAHOO!'s

if u mean that u just believe in urself its somthin else that we can argu about it! but look man, some of those lists r about rock not metal and some r about all guitarists. the other thing is that its not just 1 list. i think ive put some lists there. and as i know its not a man's opinion its somthin like Consulation. so i think its better to believe it not to cry and about joe satriani, as i remember he was lower than kirk in any lists. think u will remind it.
28.06.2008 - 12:07
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I was actually waiting for Marcel posting here, but didn't expect he would say James was a better guitar player than Kirk. I mean James probably can't play all those fast solos that Kirk play or can he? It makes sense why he doesn't, but still... i am wondering whether he could play some of them or not.

overall I can't say I find Kirk's solos boring, but I do see some pattern in his leads.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
28.06.2008 - 12:38
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 10:55

if u mean that u just believe in urself its somthin else that we can argu about it! but look man, some of those lists r about rock not metal and some r about all guitarists. the other thing is that its not just 1 list. i think ive put some lists there. and as i know its not a man's opinion its somthin like Consulation. so i think its better to believe it not to cry and about joe satriani, as i remember he was lower than kirk in any lists. think u will remind it.

I don't cry, because I don't care about Kirk's talent; but do you really think that Joe Satriani is lower than Kirk Hammet??? are you sober right now?
I don't believe in these list!! good to know that I got two of these lists 5 years ago, so no need to describe for me what are they?
28.06.2008 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 28.06.2008 at 12:07

I was actually waiting for Marcel posting here, but didn't expect he would say James was a better guitar player than Kirk. I mean James probably can't play all those fast solos that Kirk play or can he? It makes sense why he doesn't, but still... i am wondering whether he could play some of them or not.

overall I can't say I find Kirk's solos boring, but I do see some pattern in his leads.

James can play those solos but doesn't cause he is also the vocalist. Btw a lot of Metallica's solos were written by James. Why I mentioned James here is because IMO he is one of the most underrated guitarists around.

Coming back to the lists God posted... those lists don't mean a thing usually cause all they look at is very well known bands and guitarists. How else could it be possible that Cobain is mentioned there and not Satriani who is both an extremely talented great guitar player and guitar teacher as well (taught Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Larry Lalonde (Primus, ex-Possessed)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2008 - 13:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2008 at 13:01

James can play those solos but doesn't cause he is also the vocalist. Btw a lot of Metallica's solos were written by James. Why I mentioned James here is because IMO he is one of the most underrated guitarists around.

Coming back to the lists God posted... those lists don't mean a thing usually cause all they look at is very well known bands and guitarists. How else could it be possible that Cobain is mentioned there and not Satriani who is both an extremely talented great guitar player and guitar teacher as well (taught Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Larry Lalonde (Primus, ex-Possessed)

yeah. i got it. I also think he doesn't play them because he sings. They probably agreed to have it that way. But Dave actually both sings and plays the solos.

I don't know about the objectivity of the charts, but some of them are just based on user voting. I actually wish there was a poll between the best guitarists of the world to decide who it the best between them.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

28.06.2008 - 15:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted

Marcel do u think that Kirk gave money to all who chose him in all that magazines and sites? but dave didn ? or satriani? and about satriani i can say that he has just on or two songs that they r masterpiece. a lot of works doesnt mean Quality does?
do we have to believe somthin more than ourselves or not? everyone here was tryin to say that "IMO", but i took here lists, and those list has choosed by a lot of groups and "Guitar Experts" not by friends or enemis of kirk and dave or any others.
28.06.2008 - 15:16
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 28.06.2008 at 13:19

yeah. i got it. I also think he doesn't play them because he sings. They probably agreed to have it that way. But Dave actually both sings and plays the solos.

I don't know about the objectivity of the charts, but some of them are just based on user voting. I actually wish there was a poll between the best guitarists of the world to decide who it the best between them.

im agree that jaymz can also play those solo's cause i dont think that in music there is somthin that jaymz cant do that.
28.06.2008 - 15:37
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 15:14

Marcel do u think that Kirk gave money to all who chose him in all that magazines and sites? but dave didn ? or satriani? and about satriani i can say that he has just on or two songs that they r masterpiece. a lot of works doesnt mean Quality does?
do we have to believe somthin more than ourselves or not? everyone here was tryin to say that "IMO", but i took here lists, and those list has choosed by a lot of groups and "Guitar Experts" not by friends or enemis of kirk and dave or any others.

Satriani just has two songs which are masterpiece. ...so in your way St. Anger is all masterpiece!!!!??? I bet, you are joking!
And as I said, your lists suck but Rolling Stones, (which sucks on this); Mercel and others got the point, but still you don't!
In your word can be felt that you don't care about our opinions, so you can go and discuss with those Experts!!
28.06.2008 - 15:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hamird on 28.06.2008 at 15:37

Satriani just has two songs which are masterpiece. ...so in your way St. Anger is all masterpiece!!!!??? I bet, you are joking!
And as I said, your lists suck but Rolling Stones, (which sucks on this); Mercel and others got the point, but still you don't!
In your word can be felt that you don't care about our opinions, so you can go and discuss with those Experts!!

Talking about experts. I would dare to say I am more of an expert concerning metal guitarists than any single person writing for Rolling Stone magazine
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2008 - 15:45
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2008 at 15:39

Talking about experts. I would dare to say I am more of an expert concerning metal guitarists than any single person writing for Rolling Stone magazine

You are... I think usual journalists make these bullshits!
And of course when we are talking about Satriani and Hammet which a 2days kid can understand which one is stronger in playing guitar, and those dudes on Rolling Stones didn't understand that!
28.06.2008 - 15:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2008 at 15:39

losres lol. ok i have an opinion one of u who thinks dave is better, open an another poll!!! but take some other players there. Dave Muray, Kerry King, Kirk Hammet, Chuck Schuldiner, ....
i bet kirk will be the one with most votes, and i have a reason to say this. cause at that time ppl who hate metallica cant choose just one person to take down kirk!!! try it u will find what i meant. when ur poll just have 2 players even if dave didn have fans!!, those who r against metallica (cause of their fame its normal) voted for dave i think. its what i meant at whole this poll.
28.06.2008 - 18:24
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted

do u know what i meant by Masterpiece ? evey guitarist can have just 2 or 3 masterpiece solo's i think!! as kirk too. but satriani has his own band, and he have a lot of solos, so he has too have more masterpiece's than kirk for sure. but IMO he hasnt cause i can number just 2 or 3 songs of him as a masterpiece(masterpiece is different from good or very good). thats all. but i like those 2 songs as hell. forgotten part 1 and 2. and flying in a blue dream ) i love them
28.06.2008 - 18:42
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 18:24

do u know what i meant by Masterpiece ? evey guitarist can have just 2 or 3 masterpiece solo's i think!! as kirk too. but satriani has his own band, and he have a lot of solos, so he has too have more masterpiece's than kirk for sure. but IMO he hasnt cause i can number just 2 or 3 songs of him as a masterpiece(masterpiece is different from good or very good). thats all. but i like those 2 songs as hell. forgotten part 1 and 2. and flying in a blue dream ) i love them

My problem is that you say Hammet is better than Satriani, with accepting these lists!
28.06.2008 - 18:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 28.06.2008 at 18:42

My problem is that you say Hammet is better than Satriani, with accepting these lists!

have u ever seen satriani above hammet in any list?
28.06.2008 - 19:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 18:48

Oh Goddd.. I say I don't care about these lists then you say "have you ever seen Satriani above Hammet in any lists"????? I don't believe in these lists exactly because Hammet is above Satriani and many other guitarists who are better than him!
28.06.2008 - 21:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Whats wrong with Satriani? I love him. And I don't know if you actually know but Satriani was Hammet's teacher.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.06.2008 - 21:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
everybody knows that Satriani was Hammet's teacher, but now i'm concerned whether there are any lists that can be considered as containing objective information or rating. Or does everybody think all the TOP's are bullcrap?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

29.06.2008 - 02:09
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
Oh yeah those lists are bullshit, is just who is more popular and famous bajjjj who cares.... is good to know that James wrote many of the solos for Metallica. And I do think Metallica has nice melodic solos (continuing with the topic's poster idea), but Dave Mustaine for me is a step ahead, may be more.

Did James also wrote the solos for Kill em all and other songs where Mustaine was still part of Metallica???
29.06.2008 - 10:54
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.06.2008 at 02:09

Oh yeah those lists are bullshit, is just who is more popular and famous bajjjj who cares.... is good to know that James wrote many of the solos for Metallica. And I do think Metallica has nice melodic solos (continuing with the topic's poster idea), but Dave Mustaine for me is a step ahead, may be more.

Did James also wrote the solos for Kill em all and other songs where Mustaine was still part of Metallica???

yes at least half of them r jaymz'z cause i didn see somthin like those in megadeth's solo's did u? but take a look at second and third albums of metallica. and the most important thing is that metallca's second and third album r actually Materpieces but not Kill 'Em All, dont u think?
29.06.2008 - 11:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 28.06.2008 at 19:51

Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 18:48

Oh Goddd.. I say I don't care about these lists then you say "have you ever seen Satriani above Hammet in any lists"????? I don't believe in these lists exactly because Hammet is above Satriani and many other guitarists who are better than him!

and dont u think that u r just a little metal listener or player (as anyone at his site) ? and dont u think that its just ur own opinion ?
but those who r in for example "Rolling Stone Magazine", know better than u ? this is so selfish Hamird, isnt it? (that u think they r crap!)
me myself, i love Yngwie J. Malmsteen and in my own Opinion he is the fastest and the most Technical guitarist ever. but i cant say that cause i think like this so those who chose those lists r just little Idiots, can i ? no i cant i respect those lists even i dont like x or y !!
but the important thing for us is kirk and dave(not satriani), there is a far distance at all those lists btw kirk and dave!! so i dont think if we like to compare just this 2 guitarists, those lists would be crap.
29.06.2008 - 11:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 28.06.2008 at 21:02

Whats wrong with Satriani? I love him. And I don't know if you actually know but Satriani was Hammet's teacher.

i dont have problem with satriani i like him, but take a look at lists above that ive posted before(links). in some of them his name didnt called. and ppl here say that cause he is not in the list so kirk's number at all those lists r crap! its so funny i think.
29.06.2008 - 16:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Kirk's biggest problem IMO is that he can't keep his foot of those horrible wah-wah pedals.

Can you give any song examples 'cause you know what, that's interesting to know.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

29.06.2008 - 16:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 29.06.2008 at 16:16

Kirk's biggest problem IMO is that he can't keep his foot of those horrible wah-wah pedals.

Can you give any song examples 'cause you know what, that's interesting to know.

He uses that wah-wah pedal in almost every single song. I know it is personal, but if there is one effect for the guitar I can't stand it is the wah-wah pedal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2008 - 16:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.06.2008 at 16:17

Written by K✞ulu on 29.06.2008 at 16:16

He uses that wah-wah pedal in almost every single song. I know it is personal, but if there is one effect for the guitar I can't stand it is the wah-wah pedal.

ok gotcha. need to listen to ANY SONG and check that terrible wah-wah sound. by the way, that was a fast reply
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner