Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 295
01.07.2008 - 16:41
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Ktulu

i remember that Megadeth have a song that i call it Master-Creeping !!! cause dave used both of them at that song, i cant remember the song's name. he sais Master Master...
and i heard from a mustain's fan that he was who wrote Master Of Puppets's song. anyway i its a normal thing nowadays.( at least its 15 years that some ppl try to take matallica down, but the couldnt cause they have a lot of fans as u and me )
01.07.2008 - 16:47
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
really? you have to find that song! Man! Wait (editing my msg). The Five Magics?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.07.2008 - 16:52
Demonmayonnaise

As far as I know Mustaine only co-wrote like 6 songs with Metallica. the four horseman, jump in the fire, phantom lord, metal militia, ride the lightning, and the call of ktulu.
01.07.2008 - 17:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
that sounds reasonable, but I hate when people say that he wrote some song for Metallica.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.07.2008 - 17:08
Demonmayonnaise

thats why I said co-wrote.
01.07.2008 - 17:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
that's right, so you voted for kirk, ha?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.07.2008 - 17:22
Demonmayonnaise

No... I like Dave more. Kirk is great and all, I just like Dave better.
01.07.2008 - 17:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 01.07.2008 at 16:47

really? you have to find that song! Man! Wait (editing my msg). The Five Magics?

Mastermind, take a look at its 1.58'' u will find what i meant creeping. and about master its so clear!!
01.07.2008 - 17:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 01.07.2008 at 17:23

Mastermind, take a look at its 1.58'' u will find what i meant creeping. and about master its so clear!!

It's not very similar to either Master of Puppet or Creeping Death. The riff that starts at 1:58 very slightly resembles the one of CD, and if I had to listen to that song prior to this conversation I would never think of CD. And the lyrics actually have very little in common with MoP. So... dunno man, dunno. It's not a rip-off for sure.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.07.2008 - 18:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 01.07.2008 at 17:51

Written by Guest on 01.07.2008 at 17:23

It's not very similar to either Master of Puppet or Creeping Death. The riff that starts at 1:58 very slightly resembles the one of CD, and if I had to listen to that song prior to this conversation I would never think of CD. And the lyrics actually have very little in common with MoP. So... dunno man, dunno. It's not a rip-off for sure.

anyway, i like the whole album and i voted 10 for it.
02.07.2008 - 16:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have hard times finding out who plays which solo on Megadeth songs. Can anyone help?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.07.2008 - 19:18
Demonmayonnaise

I have alot of the Megadeth albums remastered, and it tells who plays what solos. The only ones I dont have remastered are peace sells, risk and the world needs a hero, and cryptic writings
The only one I want is peace sells..
04.07.2008 - 14:35
NuclearRedneck
Account deleted
This is very close, IMO there's nothing wrong with Kirk Hammett, and I just happen to prefer Dave Mustaine's work better. I will say that both guitarists perform excellent work, and I plan on seeing both live.

This topic makes me wonder, is there any way to obtain Mustaine's work with Metallica other than getting an ancient copy of something that would no doubt be expensive? I think it'd be a cool addition to a box set of some kind, unless Metallica pulled an Ozzy and re-recorded Mustaine's work with Kirk Hammett.
04.07.2008 - 16:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 04.07.2008 at 14:35

This topic makes me wonder, is there any way to obtain Mustaine's work with Metallica other than getting an ancient copy of something that would no doubt be expensive? I think it'd be a cool addition to a box set of some kind, unless Metallica pulled an Ozzy and re-recorded Mustaine's work with Kirk Hammett.

I think the most famous example would be No Life 'Til Leather demo or Metal Up Your Ass live. Well, you can see in their discography.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.07.2008 - 17:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 04.07.2008 at 16:55

Written by Guest on 04.07.2008 at 14:35

I think the most famous example would be No Life 'Ti' Leather demo or Metal Up Your Ass live. Well, you can see in their discography.

Metal Up Your Ass live is a bootleg, the only other official demo besides No Life Tll Leather is called Power Metal.
Metallica have only released two demos. All other so-called demos are either bootlegs of rehearsal tapes or bootlegs of concerts.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2008 - 17:53
Demonmayonnaise

I got a copy of no life til leather. Its pretty cool to hear Mustaine play those songs.
06.07.2008 - 17:17
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Ok, after a small investigation, I have realized that all the solos by Megadeth I enjoy so much are on Rust in Peace record (I haven't listened to anything after Cryptic Writings, but I guess that wouldn't change much) and, what is more important, are played by Marty Friedman, not by Dave Mustaine. So more and more I tend to vote for Kirk, but I will still abstain. And just one more thing. If I had to choose between Marty Friedman and Kirk Hammett, that would be a different situation.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

06.07.2008 - 17:58
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 06.07.2008 at 17:17

Ok, after a small investigation, I have realized that all the solos by Megadeth I enjoy so much are on Rust in Peace record (I haven't listened to anything after Cryptic Writings, but I guess that wouldn't change much) and, what is more important, are played by Marty Friedman, not by Dave Mustaine. So more and more I tend to vote for Kirk, but I will still abstain. And just one more thing. If I had to choose between Marty Friedman and Kirk Hammett, that would be a different situation.

absolutely what ive said about Megadeth's solos. agree with u.
10.07.2008 - 19:33
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
They have incredible styles in their music, but my vote was for Kirk. It's simple. I like both bands, but Metallica is my favorite band ever. End of my post.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
25.07.2008 - 14:20
The Wretched Jim
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine easily in my opinion, though his solos are almost amatuerish compared to some of the guitar talent that has been in Megadeth over the years.
25.07.2008 - 16:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 25.07.2008 at 14:20

Dave Mustaine easily in my opinion, though his solos are almost amatuerish compared to some of the guitar talent that has been in Megadeth over the years.

1. So Kirk's solos are even more amateurish?
2. What talent are you speaking about?
3. What is your favorite solo by Dave?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.07.2008 - 16:56
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 25.07.2008 at 16:04

i think he needs at least a week to listen to megadeth to find out!
27.07.2008 - 22:29
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 27.07.2008 at 16:56

Written by K✞ulu on 25.07.2008 at 16:04

i think he needs at least a week to listen to megadeth to find out!

He maybe know Megadeth very well, so who knows. The only thing I know is that I don't really know their music very well... just Rust in Peace (at least as far as the solos)
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.07.2008 - 00:57
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
mmm im of the opinion that dave mustaine is better in terms of technical skill but more people will recall kirk hammett simply because he was with metallica. i like daves solos better because they stick out more to me because they sound harder. not to say that kirk cant shred, Dyers Eve can prove he can shred, i just think daves are better written.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.08.2008 - 10:58
freddie420666

im not even going to give examples in this forum. kirk hammett is just flat out better than dave. but dave is a guitar god too.
01.08.2008 - 14:08
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 10:58

im not even going to give examples in this forum. kirk hammett is just flat out better than dave. but dave is a guitar god too.

Forums are made to for the purpose of discussing and giving examples.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.08.2008 - 15:01
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by K✞ulu on 01.08.2008 at 14:08

Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 10:58

Forums are made to for the purpose of discussing and giving examples.

Then this forum won't rely on your opinion if you give no reason and example
01.08.2008 - 20:45
freddie420666

okay.
so it's not that i think he is better.
honesltly dave probably is better.
and i havent heard much of megadeths solos, but the ones i have heard have been very good, yet some have sounded scratchy and smashed toghether, and didnt fit in the song. my friend is a huge megadeth fan so he shows me shit all the time. so honestly i think they both kickass even though i dont listen to megadeth. but i know kirks solos are clean and the layout of them have meaning. like in the song ...and justice for all, he slows down and then speeds up slowly, then slows down slowly repeatedly, representing our government raping us of our justice and money and slowing our life down and trying to hold us back. i really hope that made sense. i think it did. and the solo for One, we've all heard it. its almost impossible so im going to go with kirk because metallica is my favorite band. but dont get me wrong, dave is a hell of a uitar player.
01.08.2008 - 21:47
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 20:45

okay.
and i havent heard much of megadeths solos, but the ones i have heard have been very good, yet some have sounded scratchy and smashed toghether, and didnt fit in the song. my friend is a huge megadeth fan so he shows me shit all the time. so honestly i think they both kickass even though i dont listen to megadeth. but i know kirks solos are clean and the layout of them have meaning. like in the song ...and justice for all, he slows down and then speeds up slowly, then slows down slowly repeatedly, representing our government raping us of our justice and money and slowing our life down and trying to hold us back. i really hope that made sense. i think it did. and the solo for One, we've all heard it. its almost impossible so im going to go with kirk because metallica is my favorite band. but dont get me wrong, dave is a hell of a uitar player.

man, if you don't know any solos by Dave Mustaine, just don't post. Not all Megadeth solos are by Dave Mustaine. Man, just read the rules of posting for Metal Arena.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.08.2008 - 22:51
freddie420666

Written by K✞ulu on 01.08.2008 at 21:47

Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 20:45

okay.

man, if you don't know any solos by Dave Mustaine, just don't post. Not all Megadeth solos are by Dave Mustaine. Man, just read the rules of posting for Metal Arena.

i know that. i was mainly talking about the solos in kill 'em all that he did. guess i should have said that in the last one. but what i havent heard much from megadeth.