Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
02.08.2008 - 10:37
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 22:51

Written by K✞ulu on 01.08.2008 at 21:47

Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 20:45

okay.
so it's not that i think he is better.
honesltly dave probably is better.
and i havent heard much of megadeths solos, but the ones i have heard have been very good, yet some have sounded scratchy and smashed toghether, and didnt fit in the song. my friend is a huge megadeth fan so he shows me shit all the time. so honestly i think they both kickass even though i dont listen to megadeth. but i know kirks solos are clean and the layout of them have meaning. like in the song ...and justice for all, he slows down and then speeds up slowly, then slows down slowly repeatedly, representing our government raping us of our justice and money and slowing our life down and trying to hold us back. i really hope that made sense. i think it did. and the solo for One, we've all heard it. its almost impossible so im going to go with kirk because metallica is my favorite band. but dont get me wrong, dave is a hell of a uitar player.

man, if you don't know any solos by Dave Mustaine, just don't post. Not all Megadeth solos are by Dave Mustaine. Man, just read the rules of posting for Metal Arena.

i know that. i was mainly talking about the solos in kill 'em all that he did. guess i should have said that in the last one. but what i havent heard much from megadeth.

Solos on Kill 'Em All that who did? Dave? He didn't perform on that record.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.08.2008 - 23:33
freddie420666
Written by K✞ulu on 02.08.2008 at 10:37

Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 22:51

Written by K✞ulu on 01.08.2008 at 21:47

Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 20:45

okay.
so it's not that i think he is better.
honesltly dave probably is better.
and i havent heard much of megadeths solos, but the ones i have heard have been very good, yet some have sounded scratchy and smashed toghether, and didnt fit in the song. my friend is a huge megadeth fan so he shows me shit all the time. so honestly i think they both kickass even though i dont listen to megadeth. but i know kirks solos are clean and the layout of them have meaning. like in the song ...and justice for all, he slows down and then speeds up slowly, then slows down slowly repeatedly, representing our government raping us of our justice and money and slowing our life down and trying to hold us back. i really hope that made sense. i think it did. and the solo for One, we've all heard it. its almost impossible so im going to go with kirk because metallica is my favorite band. but dont get me wrong, dave is a hell of a uitar player.

man, if you don't know any solos by Dave Mustaine, just don't post. Not all Megadeth solos are by Dave Mustaine. Man, just read the rules of posting for Metal Arena.

i know that. i was mainly talking about the solos in kill 'em all that he did. guess i should have said that in the last one. but what i havent heard much from megadeth.

Solos on Kill 'Em All that who did? Dave? He didn't perform on that record.

oh.
my mistake then.
i thought he did.
03.08.2008 - 00:00
Iceland_Norway
I Prefer Marty Friedman solos and something from Dave.

Kirk Hammett is really dirty, but the albums he played in the 80ties were too marvelous eheh.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
03.08.2008 - 17:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
dave is nothin when u compare him with kirk. but i like dave himself. and about marty firedman i think he is not compareable to dave too!

its not bad that someone who write here just take a look at here too:

http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=107&page=
02.09.2008 - 02:19
Rattlehead87
Dave Mustaine For Sure... Kirk is Pretty good but in the beginning Kirk was playing Dave's Shit
----
No one is safe when I close my eyes, I come to take your life
02.09.2008 - 02:25
Iron Priest
I find daves solos more interesting. And I think he has more variety than kirk.
04.09.2008 - 02:45
Mechanixxxx
Ive never found a straight answer for this one. I think that they both are 'Solo Masters' but their style its so different, I guess it all goes down to the taste of each person as an individual, but I think I enjoy Kirk's solos more
05.09.2008 - 17:41
juanopereira
I like more Mustaine's solos. The solos of kirk are too monotonous, they are good but all sounds the same.
05.09.2008 - 18:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Rattlehead87 on 02.09.2008 at 02:19

Dave Mustaine For Sure... Kirk is Pretty good but in the beginning Kirk was playing Dave's Shit

Written by Iron Priest on 02.09.2008 at 02:25

I find daves solos more interesting. And I think he has more variety than kirk.

Written by Mechanixxxx on 04.09.2008 at 02:45

Ive never found a straight answer for this one. I think that they both are 'Solo Masters' but their style its so different, I guess it all goes down to the taste of each person as an individual, but I think I enjoy Kirk's solos more

Why don't you give examples to prove the point of their styles being "so different?"
Written by juanopereira on 05.09.2008 at 17:41

I like more Mustaine's solos. The solos of kirk are too monotonous, they are good but all sounds the same.

People, read the first post, please. I asked to "Talk about your favorite solos" (I just edited it by underlining this part), and before answering make sure you keep the first three rules of MA arena for posters. So please at least fulfill my request. Thanx for understanding.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.09.2008 - 09:50
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Death Magnetic is enough to choose kirk. dream for mustain.
a lot of ppl here who r votin for dave, didnt chooe megadeth in their favorite band list. but metallica voters did. ?!!!
i have doubt if these r really dave lovers!!
11.09.2008 - 11:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
And those four people I quoted almost a week ago a probably still listening to some Megadeth to hear some solos by Dave to back up what they said their comments.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.09.2008 - 12:54
Demonmayonnaise
Written by K✞ulu on 11.09.2008 at 11:39

And those four people I quoted almost a week ago a probably still listening to some Megadeth to hear some solos by Dave to back up what they said their comments.

Shit man, sometimes I wonder why I chose Dave. I think that Megadeth in general has better solos, but thats not entirely Dave's doing. After SFSGSW most of the solos were played by Marty, and to be honest, Marty is alot better than Dave. Most kids that listen to Hangar 18, or RIP altogether will be like "Holy shnikeez man, Dave Mustaine is the greatest" but most of those solos are played by Friedman, so I probably shoulda voted for Kirk.
11.09.2008 - 13:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 11.09.2008 at 12:54

Shit man, sometimes I wonder why I chose Dave. I think that Megadeth in general has better solos, but thats not entirely Dave's doing. After SFSGSW most of the solos were played by Marty, and to be honest, Marty is alot better than Dave. Most kids that listen to Hangar 18, or RIP altogether will be like "Holy shnikeez man, Dave Mustaine is the greatest" but most of those solos are played by Friedman, so I probably shoulda voted for Kirk.

exactly man, exactly. If talking about Rust in Peace in general, then it's probably the album with best solos in history (and there are so freaking many of them), but the coolest in my opinion are indeed played by Marty, although Dave's are still good, just not as good as Marty's. That guy was just a beast on that album.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.09.2008 - 14:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

First off Marty doesn't play on So Far So Good So What, that is Jeff Young on that one, and okay so Marty played some of the solos on RIP but Dave actually wrote all of them. The playing of the solos on RIP is about 50% Marty, 50% Dave.
Dave has always played about half of the solos on all the albums.
Don't get me wrong I am a huge Marty fan. Especially his stuff in Hawaii, Vixen, Cacophony and on his solo albums.

I still stand by my choice for Dave's solso when compared to Kirk's cause Kirk's are quite standard, unoriginal, a dime a dozen solos when compared to Dave's. Plus Kirk can't keep his bleeding foot of his wah wah pedal.
When you hear Dave play you can pick out his style easily whereas Kirk doesn't have a style of his own really. Let them improvise and you'll know who Dave is but not who Kirk is.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2008 - 15:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.09.2008 at 14:06

I still stand by my choice for Dave's solso when compared to Kirk's cause Kirk's are quite standard, unoriginal, a dime a dozen solos when compared to Dave's. Plus Kirk can't keep his bleeding foot of his wah wah pedal.
When you hear Dave play you can pick out his style easily whereas Kirk doesn't have a style of his own really. Let them improvise and you'll know who Dave is but not who Kirk is.

Once again, what solos are you referring to? Take your time, if you need, and say what exact Dave's solos you beat Kirk's.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.09.2008 - 15:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 11.09.2008 at 15:01

Once again, what solos are you referring to? Take your time, if you need, and say what exact Dave's solos you beat Kirk's.

Like I said before... each and every single one of Dave's solos would beat Kirk's hands down. Peace Sells, Devil's Island, The Mechanix, In My Darkest Hour, 501, Rattlehead... etc etc
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2008 - 16:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Marty played some of the solos on RIP but Dave actually wrote all of them.

I think you are wrong here. Check this out: link. Here there are Mustaine's and Friedman's comments on all the songs on RIP, and judging by them, Marty probably wrote all his solos by himself.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.09.2008 - 19:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quote:

Like I said before... each and every single one of Dave's solos would beat Kirk's hands down. Peace Sells, Devil's Island, The Mechanix, In My Darkest Hour, 501, Rattlehead... etc etc

That's just pathetic... that's all I'm gonna say. Could you name less generic (mediocre, standard, not bad though) solos than these and say they beat Kirk's? Even The Mechanix solo, which Kirk played on Four Horsemen sounds much better and played better (partially because it was altered). And that great slow solo in Horsemen rocks too. Even the sorta generic solo on Seek&Destroy or Phantom Lord are better than any of those. Well, here is my list: One, Fade to Black, Master of Puppets (although a little generic too ), Disposable Heroes (with some generic parts too), Whenever I May Roam (played in an awesome phrygian dominant scale - that where that awesome sounds comes from), ...And Justice For All, Through The Never (which I mentioned in the first post), Creeping Death, Dyers Eve and probably much more which I'm lazy type now (like Unforgiven, Fuel, The Outlaw Torn (especially the S&M version).

But remember that it's not just about the skill/speed, but also how well the solo fits in the song, and how beautiful it is.

And one more thing: the solos marked by me as generic are those that would clearly mark Kirk's style (which you said was absent).

Plus you said, "let them improvise..." Why do think Dave never performs any solos just on-stage like Kirk does?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.09.2008 - 23:40
Demonmayonnaise

First off Marty doesn't play on So Far So Good So What, that is Jeff Young on that one, and okay so Marty played some of the solos on RIP but Dave actually wrote all of them. The playing of the solos on RIP is about 50% Marty, 50% Dave.
Dave has always played about half of the solos on all the albums.
Don't get me wrong I am a huge Marty fan. Especially his stuff in Hawaii, Vixen, Cacophony and on his solo albums.

I never said that Marty played on SFSGSW. What I meant was that to my knowledge Dave played most of the solos up to that point, until Marty joined the band. Sorry about the wording, I can see how that would confuse you. And about the wah pedal thing, Kirk said that we'd have to cut his leg off to get him to quit using it.... Got a chainsaw anyone?
11.09.2008 - 23:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 11.09.2008 at 23:40

...And about the wah pedal thing, Kirk said that we'd have to cut his leg off to get him to quit using it.... Got a chainsaw anyone?

Well, I have no problem with that wah pedal, do you?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.09.2008 - 00:10
Demonmayonnaise
Written by K✞ulu on 11.09.2008 at 23:45

...And about the wah pedal thing, Kirk said that we'd have to cut his leg off to get him to quit using it.... Got a chainsaw anyone?

I like it to a point. Its one of those things thats cool until you get too much.
12.09.2008 - 02:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 12.09.2008 at 00:10

Written by K✞ulu on 11.09.2008 at 23:45

I like it to a point. Its one of those things thats cool until you get too much.

i agree. it's a good weapon to have in the arsenal, but shouldn't be the only one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.09.2008 - 04:04
MortalTheory
Account deleted
master of puppets. nough said.
21.09.2008 - 02:47
Demonmayonnaise
This question just stays at the back of my mind. After listening to some Kirk solos from the early days, I realized there isnt alot of variation between them. Just flat out fast solos. Daves had more variation to them, so back to my original vote, Dave is a more versatile guitarist.
21.09.2008 - 03:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 21.09.2008 at 02:47

This question just stays at the back of my mind. After listening to some Kirk solos from the early days, I realized there isnt alot of variation between them. Just flat out fast solos. Daves had more variation to them, so back to my original vote, Dave is a more versatile guitarist.

He certainly is. Plus the fact you can recognize him out of thousands whereas Kirk's signature sound is of the dime a dozen type.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.09.2008 - 06:24
Demonmayonnaise
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.09.2008 at 03:16

He certainly is. Plus the fact you can recognize him out of thousands whereas Kirk's signature sound is of the dime a dozen type.

That aint no shit. When you hear Dave, you hear Dave. Kirk is like... Is that Satriani? or Bob Marley? (only joking)
27.09.2008 - 12:00
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 21.09.2008 at 06:24

That aint no shit. When you hear Dave, you hear Dave. Kirk is like... Is that Satriani? or Bob Marley? (only joking)

And again no examples. If you are saying Dave is more versatile and Kirk's got no style, give examples. But I know one thing: they both have distinct styles. I can easily distinguish Kirk's solo from any other guitarist's solo. I can't say the same thing about Dave right at least because I haven't listened to Megadeth as much as to Metallica.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.09.2008 - 15:05
Demonmayonnaise
If you listen to just about any solo from metallicas 80s material, they all are played the same way. Fast. Dave has a little more variety of solos. Not all his are played 100 mph. And Kirk, all his solos to me sound just like solos, thats it. Its been a while since I was just blown away by a guitar solo, and Kirks arent gonna blow me away.
27.09.2008 - 15:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.09.2008 - 17:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=107

I cant forget when St.Anger released, Kerry King said:
"I dont know why the didnt let one of the best Guitarists of the world to play solo's"
and ive read it at www.encycmet.com.