Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
28.09.2008 - 01:48
Demonmayonnaise
@ Black Dog, yeah, Im sure his english was alot better than that though.
28.09.2008 - 02:03
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Kirk its better.
30.09.2008 - 04:54
EaTNaLiVe666
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.09.2008 at 02:03

Kirk its better.

You didn't even back up your statement. Mustaine is better. Personally I hate Metallica for the fact they kicked Mustaine out for drinking. He is way better than Hammett, but I am also glad they did kick Mustaine out. That way he didn't become a sell-out band like metallica.
30.09.2008 - 08:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 04:54

Kirk its better.

You didn't even back up your statement. Mustaine is better. Personally I hate Metallica for the fact they kicked Mustaine out for drinking. He is way better than Hammett, but I am also glad they did kick Mustaine out. That way he didn't become a sell-out band like metallica.

You didn't back up your statement either, and everything you said has nothing to do with the poll. In the first post I asked not to bring up the Metallica vs Megadeth issue. I really wish I was a mod and could delete this stupid post. It's just about solos of two separate musicians... come on.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.09.2008 - 11:42
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 30.09.2008 at 08:12

Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 04:54

Kirk its better.

You didn't back up your statement either, and everything you said has nothing to do with the poll. In the first post I asked not to bring up the Metallica vs Megadeth issue. I really wish I was a mod and could delete this stupid post. It's just about solos of two separate musicians... come on.

agree with Ktulu + Metallica isnt sell-out
30.09.2008 - 22:17
Metal_Militia
//Not to say say that Kirk's solos aren't good or advanced but i think Dave's are much more technical and well rounded and sound a little better to my ear. And i think Metallica kicking Dave out of the band doesn't really play any sort of factor. A solo is a solo no matter who it comes from in my opinion. They play the same music and have similar styles but Dave offers a little more than Kirk I think. He switches it up quite ofter and sounds great doing it//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

01.10.2008 - 11:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Metal_Militia on 30.09.2008 at 22:17

//Not to say say that Kirk's solos aren't good or advanced but i think Dave's are much more technical and well rounded and sound a little better to my ear. And i think Metallica kicking Dave out of the band doesn't really play any sort of factor. A solo is a solo no matter who it comes from in my opinion. They play the same music and have similar styles but Dave offers a little more than Kirk I think. He switches it up quite ofter and sounds great doing it//

Dave is better than kirk then?

Jaymz Hetfield, Cliff Burton and Lars decided to kick out him cause Krik was better, then they didn find a better reason than calling him an alchoholic.
so I think these 3 musician know which was better.
01.10.2008 - 11:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
No they didn't kick him out because they thought Kirk was better. They kicked him out because of his alcohol and other drug abuse. I don't know where you get these weird ideas about Metallica.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.10.2008 - 11:44
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
mertallica called as Alchoholica! so its a really funny reason marcel. kirk and lars were really into any kind of drugs. and everyone knows about jaymz'z alchohol problem.
krik was, is and will be better.
01.10.2008 - 11:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.10.2008 at 11:44

krik was, is and will be better.

Maybe in your opinion, but not in mine and many other people's opinions.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.10.2008 - 11:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
and u and others rnt much more than me and other lol
01.10.2008 - 16:06
Demonmayonnaise
@ Black God
Okay dude, Yes, everyone of them had a drinking problem, but Dave took it to another extreme. He would get violent when he was drunk, and they couldnt handle him anymore. I dont know what kind of fantasy world you live in, or what kinda shrooms youve been taking in the last couple of years, but you really need to get your facts straight.
02.10.2008 - 09:24
Branzig
Well this post is sort of strange considering Dave is a rhythm guitar god and Kirk is a more of a lead player...You probably should of approached it from a Marty Friedman vs. Kirk poll...

So given the circumstances and the parameters of this poll, I'm going to go with Kirk since his leads are more technical from a guitar players stand point, particularly from the early metallica days.

Now, if it was Marty vs. Kirk, Marty would destroy him, without question.
----
In Grind We Crust
02.10.2008 - 09:56
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I agree with Branzig's last point as said it earlier sometimes. Marty's leads are by far superior... But I have to disagree that Dave is just a very good rhythm guitar player; he plays a lot of leads almost just as many as any other guitarist in Megadeth has ever played.

Well, and I am surprised to see a tie.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.10.2008 - 14:28
Demonmayonnaise
A tie... Wow. I think that this is all an opinion thing to be honest. Dave and Kirk are both good guitarists. It just depends on who you ask.
02.10.2008 - 14:45
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Quote:
Well this post is sort of strange considering Dave is a rhythm guitar god and Kirk is a more of a lead player...You probably should of approached it from a Marty Friedman vs. Kirk poll...

Im agree with u.

and ive mentioned it before that we have to compare Marty and Kirk, when we like to compare Solo's.
02.10.2008 - 15:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 02.10.2008 at 14:45

Quote:

Im agree with u.

and ive mentioned it before that we have to compare Marty and Kirk, when we like to compare Solo's.

Well, I think there is no point creating such a thread because people who have heard the two guitarist will easily pick Marty, but half of the people that would vote would go with Kirk just because he is from Metallica and more famous while Marty is kinda just Marty... I mean I don't think he is as popular and well-known. Or am I mistaken?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.10.2008 - 15:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Ktulu
I dont care about popularity! I know this is a better poll. cause u have more voters here and as u said, a lot of ppl vote for metallica and megadeth not for solo's!!!

but If marty was here I dont know which I had to vote! maybe I woudlnt vote never for that Poll cause both of them r gods.
02.10.2008 - 20:14
Branzig
Quote:
Well, I think there is no point creating such a thread because people who have heard the two guitarist will easily pick Marty, but half of the people that would vote would go with Kirk just because he is from Metallica and more famous while Marty is kinda just Marty... I mean I don't think he is as popular and well-known. Or am I mistaken?

Well, Marty is farily well known. Especially in the guitarist community. Before Megadeth he and fellow guitarist, Jason Becker, had a promising career with the band Cacophony; and as far as popularity goes, in the 80's Cacophony was on par with much of the other popular shred bands of that era. Ever since he left Megadeth however, he has sadly disappeared into the background as a guitar instructor.

...It's a shame too, I really wanted Marty to team back up with Dave for the recent tours Megadeth have been doing. Chris Polland did for a while, why not you too Marty? PLEASE! haha.
----
In Grind We Crust
03.10.2008 - 11:44
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Branzig
Marty was is and will be Famous cause of himself! not cause of metallica. and he is Famous enough, Im agree with u. but just wanted to answer the guy in the ex post.

@Ktulu
did u listen to megadeth before and after Marty Friedman?!! and did u know their nice albums was with Marty and IMO worse ones without him!

R.I.P. is the first album with Marty, I Myuself had forgotten about this!
03.10.2008 - 19:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 03.10.2008 at 11:44

@Ktulu
did u listen to megadeth before and after Marty Friedman?!! and did u know their nice albums was with Marty and IMO worse ones without him!

Why did you address me with these things? Well, I don't like all the albums which feature Marty, but all the albums before him are cool in their own way. Plus, how could you forget he was the one who played of RIP?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.10.2008 - 20:02
Branzig

@Branzig
Marty was is and will be Famous cause of himself! not cause of metallica. and he is Famous enough, Im agree with u. but just wanted to answer the guy in the ex post.

Why would metallica make Marty famous at all? While Marty was in Megadeth I'm pretty sure Metallica's goal was to make him as un-famous as possible. Let's not forget that Marty played on what I consider the greatest Megadeth album, Rust In Peace. Pretty sure Metallica was doing everything in their power at that time to hamper Megadeth and Marty, not try and make him more popular.

Maybe I just misunderstood you?
----
In Grind We Crust
04.10.2008 - 00:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 03.10.2008 at 20:02

Pretty sure Metallica was doing everything in their power at that time to hamper Megadeth and Marty, not try and make him more popular.

Why would you get that idea and where would you get it from?

Metallica took Megadeth along on their tour in 1992 and also Suicidal Tendencies (yes, with Rob Trujillo on bass at the time)
And Megadeth had a perfect sound as well. So they didn't try to hamper Megadeth AT ALL.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2008 - 07:16
Branzig
Quote:
Metallica took Megadeth along on their tour in 1992 and also Suicidal Tendencies (yes, with Rob Trujillo on bass at the time)
And Megadeth had a perfect sound as well. So they didn't try to hamper Megadeth AT ALL.

This is information I wasn't aware of. I guess I was just going on assumption since it seems like Dave always tries to make it out into a competition.

I basically just proved, once again, that when it comes to thrash metal, I should just butt out lol
----
In Grind We Crust
04.10.2008 - 07:28
thesabbathfan
Dave. I just don't really see anything mind blowing in Kirk's solos.

also Dave's solos seem to have a certain groove to them that Metallica can't replicate.
----
04.10.2008 - 12:43
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 03.10.2008 at 20:02

@Branzig

Why would metallica make Marty famous at all? While Marty was in Megadeth I'm pretty sure Metallica's goal was to make him as un-famous as possible. Let's not forget that Marty played on what I consider the greatest Megadeth album, Rust In Peace. Pretty sure Metallica was doing everything in their power at that time to hamper Megadeth and Marty, not try and make him more popular.

Maybe I just misunderstood you?

uve got me wrong! i meant that dave became famous cause of metallica but not Marty. i meant that marty is great himself, but not cause of megadeth and not cause of anyone else. as Joe Satriani is famous.
sometimes english problems make ppl to get me wrong sorry!

PS:I dont mean that Dave is famous just cause he was at metallica, but IMO it was effective to make him famous. but Marty is absolutely great himself
04.10.2008 - 12:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 03.10.2008 at 19:53

@Ktulu

Why did you address me with these things? Well, I don't like all the albums which feature Marty, but all the albums before him are cool in their own way. Plus, how could you forget he was the one who played of RIP?

I mean that Ive forget about Marty at this poll, cause ur Question isnt about megadeth, its about Dave and Kirk. so its normal that Ive forgot him. but in my first posts Ive mentioned about him Havent I?
04.10.2008 - 18:50
Metal_Militia
Written by Guest on 01.10.2008 at 11:10

Jaymz Hetfield, Cliff Burton and Lars decided to kick out him cause Krik was better, then they didn find a better reason than calling him an alchoholic.

//I dont care that Dave got kicked out of Metallica. See we are debating on who is a better GUITARIST, I really dont give a shit what James Lars and Cliff thought of Dave and why they kicked him out. They probably did because they thought he was an asshole and caused too much trouble. But it doesnt have anything to do with being a better guitarist. I wouldnt really trust James and Lars's decision making anyway. I mean they got Jason after Cliff died and he sucked//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

04.10.2008 - 19:01
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Metal_Militia on 04.10.2008 at 18:50

Written by Guest on 01.10.2008 at 11:10

//I dont care that Dave got kicked out of Metallica. See we are debating on who is a better GUITARIST, I really dont give a shit what James Lars and Cliff thought of Dave and why they kicked him out. They probably did because they thought he was an asshole and caused too much trouble. But it doesnt have anything to do with being a better guitarist. I wouldnt really trust James and Lars's decision making anyway. I mean they got Jason after Cliff died and he sucked//

yes jaymz, kirk and Jason r 3 assholes Im agree
04.10.2008 - 19:06
Branzig
Quote:

I second that. Just because person 'A' gets kicked out of band 'B' because of reason 'X,' doesn't make person 'A' any more talented or less talented than person 'C.' This thread kinda turned into the Metallica vs. Megadeth war, not the Dave as a guitarist vs. Kirk as a guitarist war. I think the new rule for this thread should be that everyone pretends that Dave never played for Metallica and doesn't play for Megadeth, and that Kirk never played for any band period...

Except Exodus, because they ruled
----
In Grind We Crust