Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
25.01.2010 - 16:20
macraigma
Although many think Kirk abuses the WAH pedal I still like him, Daves got good rhythm for sure.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
25.01.2010 - 16:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by thewall30 on 25.01.2010 at 16:07

Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2010 at 22:12

Written by thewall30 on 24.01.2010 at 02:45

Ha this is an easy one, Dave Mustaine all the way! Kirk's also pretty insane at solos but just not as Dave...

Some of Dave's solos are just ridiculous! For example: Tornado Of Souls, Rattlehead, etc. their just all amazing!

Dude, Marty plays the solo on Tornado of Souls...

Well thank you for pointing that out................ still Dave is a beast!

O and another thing, Dave has to sing all the vocals while playing some crazy ass riffs and solos, while Kirk is just the lead guitarist.

Nothing against Kirk I'm just saying Dave has to do a little more than Kirk does...

I am not saying Dave is not a good guitar player. Of course, his riffs are amazing, but the thread is about the solos of those, and I want some input here, some descriptions, feelings about your favorite solos. It will the thread interesting.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
28.02.2010 - 17:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2010 at 22:12
Dude, Marty plays the solo on Tornado of Souls...

Exactly!

There's NO WAY Dave could play that solo as well as Marty did. Kirk probably couldnt either, but I'd be willing to bet that Kirk would come closer to nailing the solo than Dave. Dave's solo patterns are too simple to come anywhere near what Marty did on Tornado, and other solos.
07.04.2010 - 06:42
renai
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
13.04.2010 - 06:24
Hanyuchan
Dave, kirk has too much wah-wah
18.05.2010 - 07:29
whatsacow
My vote is on Dave.
It shouldn't take 3 months to get a solo right, or a riff for that manner. While I generally prefer metallica to Megadeth, I will be the first to admit that metallica has one of the worst guitarists i have ever heard. Mustaine Tends to have more feeling in his solo's i find, whereas hammets just kind of lack something.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.05.2010 - 10:30
Angel Of Mercy
I don't know if this has been said before but I don't like Hammets consistant use (or wankery) of the pentatonic scale. It really does no good.

Dave Mustaines solo's are much more emotionful and thought out.
----
Your time will come.
19.05.2010 - 19:26
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
They're both great guitarists. But Kirk's over-use of the wha-wha pedal can get annoying sometimes. I can't really think off what's wrong with Dave's though.
23.05.2010 - 19:15
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Xim on 19.05.2010 at 19:26

They're both great guitarists. But Kirk's over-use of the wha-wha pedal can get annoying sometimes. I can't really think off what's wrong with Dave's though.

Couldn't agree more, both guys slay, but the wha wha is just a little less metal, and Dave really has the whole bad ass, over the top aggressive thing going for him.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
04.08.2010 - 21:17
r4ttlehead
I personally think Dave is a better musician than Kirk, and not taking any credit from Kirk. If Dave was lead guitars there is no doubt that he would be slaughtering stages more than he does already
04.08.2010 - 22:59
DayFly
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 18.05.2010 at 10:30

I don't know if this has been said before but I don't like Hammets consistant use (or wankery) of the pentatonic scale. It really does no good.

Dave Mustaines solo's are much more emotionful and thought out.

I can hardly believe you are a guitarist or even know much about guitar playing for that matter. Most players use the pentatonics predominantly and FYI Mustaine uses the pentatonics just about as much as Hammet does (who is by no means an exclusive pentatonic player).
08.08.2010 - 21:58
Angel Of Mercy
I don't tend to use predominately the pentatonic scale.... I use modes, melodic/harmonic minors etc. I tend only to use the pentatonic to warm up...
----
Your time will come.
09.08.2010 - 02:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Stuart on 22.12.2008 at 14:06
I think when it comes to writing credits, the fact that someone wrote a solo for a song does not appear to be enough reason to receive a credit for it, there are thousands of examples of how solos have definitely been written by musicians who have received no credits for the writing of the song. But we don't need to look far to see an example of this, pick up any metallica album and you will see most of the songs have no writing credits for Hammett even though we know he wrote the solo... One dude comes up with the song structure, works everything out and says "hey marty, chuck a solo in their approx 32 seconds long"... in that case the guitarist still wrote the solo but doesn't deserve any writing credits for the song. This seems to be the attitude of most bands, unless you think ulrich and hetfield wrote the solo for "One"

I don't think guitarists should receive writing credits for writing solos either. its about the song, if you want recognition for your solo put it in the footnotes. obviously this does not apply to yngwie malmsteen type music.

EDIT: PS. it is blatantly obvious, that the mustaine solos and the friedman solos were written by two different guitarists.

This is completely true. Writing credits are usually not given for just providing a guitar solo. If the lead guitarists' sole contribution to the song is a guitar solo, in most instances writing credit will not be given. Dave Mustaine would not be able to play the solos Marty plays in Lucretia, Poison Was The Cure, Tornado Of Souls, etc. Its as simple as that. I dont think Dave's ego would allow another guitar player to play those solos if he could do them himself. lol What would probably have happened, is Marty would have been given the rhythm to the solo in the studio, and then asked to provide a solo on top of it. Also agree on Metallica. Kirk only recieves writing credit on songs where he provided main riffs and/or melodies to a song. He does not recieve credit if his sole contribution to a song is providing a solo on top of a rhythm track.
09.08.2010 - 03:24
RavenKing
I prefer Dave to Kirk. But, if we want to talk of famous Thrash guitar players from the 80s, I must say I prefer Mille Petrozza to both of them.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.02.2011 - 12:13
JD
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine.
14.02.2011 - 16:11
ForeverDarkWoods
I actually think both Kirk and Dave were quite mediocre when it comes to solos. Most decent solos in Megadeth aren't played by Dave, and Metallica's solos never really stood out at all to me.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
17.02.2011 - 08:02
Thunderhead
I think Kirk got some good moments, Like in MOP or One... By the way, GREAT MOMENTS.
But Dave only got MAGNIFICENT moments.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
21.02.2011 - 14:24
Night Sight
Hard to compare
but dave
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
06.03.2011 - 08:24
Yojimbo
It's hard to say which solos on Rust In Peace are Dave's but every one on that album is fantastic. Hammet's style was always a little bluesier and melodic but overall I have to stand by Mustaine's skill.
06.03.2011 - 17:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Yojimbo on 06.03.2011 at 08:24

It's hard to say which solos on Rust In Peace are Dave's but every one on that album is fantastic. Hammet's style was always a little bluesier and melodic but overall I have to stand by Mustaine's skill.

It's very easy to tell I think! lol

Break down of Rust In Peace solo credits:

Holy Wars: 1st and 2nd solos - Marty. 3rd solo - Dave
Hangar 18: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th solos - Marty. End section solos - Dave, Marty, Dave, Marty, Dave
Take No Prisoners: Solo - Marty
5 Magics: First solo - Marty. 2nd solo - Dave
Poison Was The Cure: Solo - Marty
Lucretia: 1st solo - Marty. 2nd solo - Dave
Tornado Of Souls: Solo - Marty
Rust In Peace... Polaris: Solo - Marty

As you can see, Marty plays the majority of the solos on the album. xD
07.03.2011 - 18:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.03.2011 at 17:53

Written by Yojimbo on 06.03.2011 at 08:24

It's very easy to tell I think! lol

Break down of Rust In Peace solo credits:

Holy Wars: 1st and 2nd solos - Marty. 3rd solo - Dave
Hangar 18: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th solos - Marty. End section solos - Dave, Marty, Dave, Marty, Dave
Take No Prisoners: Solo - Marty
5 Magics: First solo - Marty. 2nd solo - Dave
Poison Was The Cure: Solo - Marty
Lucretia: 1st solo - Marty. 2nd solo - Dave
Tornado Of Souls: Solo - Marty
Rust In Peace... Polaris: Solo - Marty

As you can see, Marty plays the majority of the solos on the album. xD

and a vast majority of cool solos. Here quantity meets quality
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.03.2011 - 01:24
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Kirk all the way.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
21.03.2011 - 03:24
IDieForMetal
I prefer Dave.
21.03.2011 - 05:22
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Dave all the way, his solos are one of the many great things about early Megadeth. Those trade off solo's at the end of Hangar 18, with ol' Marty of course, are just amazing.
21.03.2011 - 08:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by K✞ulu on 07.03.2011 at 18:15
and a vast majority of cool solos. Here quantity meets quality

Hehe, absolutely!

All of Marty's solos on "Rust In Peace" are just amazing. I'm really glad that Dave's ego allowed Marty's skills to take centre stage, as far as the album's guitar playing goes, because his solos are a huge part of that album's magic.
21.03.2011 - 16:01
Storchillarn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CniXIMb0oo - Favorite Mustaine solo right there. ^^
21.03.2011 - 17:20
Poseidon
For me it's 100% Dave!
cos' Im so sick from the wah-wah pedal that kirk use's for his solo's!!!
21.03.2011 - 22:17
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Storchillarn on 21.03.2011 at 16:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CniXIMb0oo - Favorite Mustaine solo right there. ^^

Yeah, that one was an abomination... He ruined such an amazing solo.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.04.2011 - 19:13
fabregassed
Account deleted
I find kirk's solos hard to remember. The only one I have actually been blown away by is Fight Fire With Fire and the harmony after. I even prefer Hetfield's solo on Master of Puppets.
03.04.2011 - 23:17
blacktooth85
Davey Boy