08. A Feast For The Liar's Tongue
09. My Oath To Madness
10. Failure's Conquest
+ We Are The Nightmare [video]

Disc II [bonus DVD]
01. Making Of...
02. Behind The Scenes Footage

Oh No, Please Not Again!!!

I still can't recover from what Nuclear Blast did with Nile to be honest...but now where the hell is our beloved Arsis? You have no idea what you have just done damn it.

I remember the day I received "A Celebration of Guilt" for reviewing purposes with a smile on my face, the name was unknown to me, but Jason Tipton kept saying "-Man, believe me, you'll love this band, just try them" he said the same thing when Circle Of Dead Children knocked on my door so I guess I trust his words and his signed bands a lot...the band was just freaking relentless, they were pure dynamite and they were about to blow the whole shitty world with their slide of explosive and clever Death Metal...

...Now they are just mediocre, I guess money does talk don't you think? What we have now is a band who tuned down almost every agressive feature they had, changed their scheme to a more percussive but crappy sound with spastic riffs and sucky melodeath/metalcore execution...they basically became In Flames in fewer words, so now they went from impressive to just being geeks obeying the hand that feeds...this is just as sad as it is annoying...

Add to the pile that Arsis now sounds as uninspired as a 5 bucks hooker, the whole album flows in a very shy way, it almost feels like they're ashamed of themselves for releasing such a timid and grey album; the songwriting never falls into place, the structures become incessantly repetitive, the overall musicianship creates the most boring atmosphere and then everything just turns into a very tedious chore. I didn't find one killer track in the entire album, all the tunes sound heavily chopped up and it seems like all the good ideas just vanished with the band's courage.

So anyway, if this is the first Arsis album you hear, don't even bother in saying how unfair or how weird this review is...you have no freaking idea what you are talking about and you'll be only spitting sperm instead of words...for the ones that know who Arsis used to be, believe me friends, I seriously feel your grief!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 3
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 25.05.2008

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Aside from all other current controversies, Arsis are also turning some heads among the death metal community. "We Are The Nightmare" shows the American's third release, and first with label heavyweight Nuclear Blast. The album is one of precise technical death metal clinically performed, with strong melodic and modern elements plastered all over it.

Read more ››
published 19.04.2008 | Comments (21)

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 196 users
25.05.2008 - 21:35
Bloodshed
Account deleted
Fair Review, I do miss ye olde Arsis. Besides, this new concept sounds childish, I think you didn't mention that fact, the band became musically immature and it's noticeable in at least ten tracks inside WATN.

Quote:
Add to the pile that Arsis now sounds as uninspired as a 5 bucks hooker

I laughed so hard
26.05.2008 - 01:58
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, this album gets more unappealing to me with every listen.
22.06.2008 - 11:42
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
It's not bad. It's actually quite technical, just not particularly well done.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
02.08.2008 - 13:44
Rating: 8
Kasper

Well... It sure isn't their best work. But I still think it's good, I enjoy it alot.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
08.05.2009 - 01:50
Rating: 10
munson

I really don't see how this album is that bad. I mean, United in Regret is CLEARLY better, but I still think this is an excellent album.
09.02.2010 - 02:43
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
This review is reeks of emo....not objective at all but just a fan who is "hurt"....I really dont see any link to In Flames, in fact I think it would be epic is In Flames sounded like this. Not the best release by the band, production is too crisp but the music is pretty cool.
26.03.2010 - 03:50
Vathek

I completely disagree with everyone that's dissing this, I think it's the fucking most awesome thing since sliced bread. I love all the Arsis albums, they make me laugh and bleed from the eyes. It feels fresh and spastically filled with insanity and energy... The riffing on this album is just awesome. I feel like every instrument is telling a story, somehow the points of contact make it work. I just listen to this album repeatedly... Actually I have all the albums on a usb stick and just listen to all of them through. I don't think it sounds immature at all, I think they're exploring different progressions of music. I don't think I'd want just carbon copies of each album, I can see how this album seems less brutal than some of the earlier efforts, but I find it more interesting.
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
26.03.2010 - 03:51
Vathek

DAMMIT WHY DO PEOPLE HATE CRISP PRODUCTION?!?!?!
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
31.01.2015 - 02:56
Patrick A.

Come on guys, ARSIS is one of the best technical death metal bands around, you might be right about some of the clichés they have included in this last álbum but there is no doubt that these guys will continue sharing our heads with their music cause even when its perfectly performed you can still feel the escence of brutal death metal riffs and growls.

I really love this fucking band!

Hits total: 5273 | This month: 12