Metal Storm logo
Between the Buried and Me

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:32
Although I'm not 100% sure this band belongs in this forum they are a band that I have become quite fond of as of late they play a style of music that is a combination between: Death Metal, Progressive Metal, and Metalcore. I would suggest that any fan of any of these genres check out song Selkies: The Endless Obsession by them because I feel that it describes their sound best. You can also tell that this band seems to be heavily influenced by bands like Opeth, The Dillenger Escape Plan, and Symphony X. Although I described them as a band that is part metalcore don't let this make you not check them out they have great drumming every song has great solo and the guitar players can both shred and sweep as well as anyone else I've heard. They have released three albums now my favorite being the newest one Alaska and one the 13th of June they are releasing a cover album which includes the following songs:
1. Metallica - Blackened
2. Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
3. Soundgarden - Day I Tried to Live
4. Queen - Bicycle Race
5. King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
6. Pink Floyd - Us and Them
7. Smashing Pumpkins - Geek USA
8. Earth Crisis - Forced March
9. Sepultura - Territory
10. Blind Melon - Change
11. Faith No More - Malpractice
12. Depeche Mode - Little 15
13. Pantera - Cemetary Gates
With a cover cd like this you know they aren't your average band check them out they kick ass
03.12.2010 - 08:23
tweetbombardier

Oh man, BTBAM are amazing. I've seen them a couple of times, most recently opening for Children of Bodom. They know how to make some amazingly complex and beautiful music. Their later albums aren't as accessible, but are pure genius. I don't listen to them that much these days, but still have the deepest respect for this band.
25.04.2011 - 01:54
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I'm really enjoying the new EP from Between the Buried and Me. They are getting better at not only being progressive but being able to write good songs while doing it.
22.05.2011 - 06:29
BlackenedMyths

BTBAM is a really good band. I watched them play live when Alaska just came out and it was just awesome. I hope they continue putting out solid releases.
23.05.2011 - 06:58
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by BlackenedMyths on 22.05.2011 at 06:29

BTBAM is a really good band. I watched them play live when Alaska just came out and it was just awesome. I hope they continue putting out solid releases.

You saw BTBAM when you were 11?
23.05.2011 - 22:43
BlackenedMyths

Written by Guest on 23.05.2011 at 06:58

Written by BlackenedMyths on 22.05.2011 at 06:29

You saw BTBAM when you were 11?

Yeah, they played on second stage at Ozzfest, it was the first show I ever went to. They sounded so good that I bought Alaska that same day.
26.05.2011 - 18:18
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
BTBAM is a great band. These guys have some talent.
I have seen them three times, all shows were horrible.
26.05.2011 - 20:48
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 26.05.2011 at 18:18

BTBAM is a great band. These guys have some talent.
I have seen them three times, all shows were horrible.

Why were they horrible?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.05.2011 - 19:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
^^ Not sure of his reason, but the first time I saw them was back in 2004 or 2005, and it was horrible - they played too many slow songs and just seemed uninterested. However, I saw them again about a year later, and they were awesome.
28.05.2011 - 10:15
emptycookiejar1

I used to have a real hatred of this band for no real reason aside from my thinking that they are a metalcore band... I don't deny their talent and my opinion of them has softened somewhat, but I still don't enjoy their music. I won't deny their talent; they are very competent musicans. They just bore me, though, and some elements of their music just grate on my nerves until I can't stand to listen to them anymore, mainly the breakdowns and the metalcore screaming. I think if they'd drop the metalcore thing I'd give them another chance, but as of now I just can't stand their sound.
18.10.2011 - 08:39
blackelkspeaks

I just started getting into them, the alaska album is easily my favorite so far
----
when i die one thousand birds will fly out of my mouth
16.11.2011 - 20:30
ChampionOfPower

Just heard them for the first time headlining a concert with Animals as Leaders and Tesseract. A friend asked me to go and I'd never heard them before. Not bad, there were some good melodies, guitar work and the drums and base I thought stood out very well. I'm just not a huge fan of the metalcore screams, but I thought the breakdowns they used in some songs were excellent and really got my head banging. Not a band I can listen to outside a live setting, but a very enjoyable concert nonetheless.
02.12.2011 - 09:23
yingxuy

I do not deny their talent, I have softened their views, but I still do not like their music. I do not deny their talent, they are all very capable musicians.
09.12.2011 - 02:17
fabregassed
Account deleted
I don't think they'll ever top 'colours', everything fell into place on that album.
09.12.2011 - 04:46
Lit.
Account deleted
Note to self: Listen to this band tomorrow.
09.12.2011 - 15:49
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.12.2011 at 04:46

They take a long time to get into, and to familiarise yourself with the song structures. It's definitely worth it though.
09.12.2011 - 17:00
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 09.12.2011 at 15:49

They take a long time to get into, and to familiarise yourself with the song structures. It's definitely worth it though.

Well they are quite a decent band, but they don't have "hooks"
I do like their stuff, but they aren't a band that you say " Hey I want to listen to BTBAM" its more of a browsing through my music and I see the band name and think " hmmm haven't heard them in a while, I should" but then you think some more and decide against it
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.12.2011 - 17:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Spirit Molecule on 09.12.2011 at 17:00

Written by Guest on 09.12.2011 at 15:49

Well they are quite a decent band, but they don't have "hooks"
I do like their stuff, but they aren't a band that you say " Hey I want to listen to BTBAM" its more of a browsing through my music and I see the band name and think " hmmm haven't heard them in a while, I should" but then you think some more and decide against it

Hmm, I think Colors and The Great Misdirect have a decent amount of hooks, and I also think that this a band worth exploring and digging into as there a lot going on, and also the ideas are quite original.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.12.2011 - 17:18
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Well I never said they were bad or anything, its just that this band doesn't do it for me. I've listened to Alaska, the great misirect, colours and the silent circus. I'm actually listening to colours right now after all this talk about them. I still think they are a decent band, but for some reason it doesn't do anything for me.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.05.2012 - 06:05
Susan
Smeghead
After how many years of listening to metal, I have finally heard this band. For some reason I had sadly misjudged them before even hearing any. I listened to The Great Misdirect several times today and could not get enough. God. Damn. Talk about innovative and interesting! I love how organic all of the different elements came together; the album was full of variety but it never, ever felt forced.

I'm thrilled to get to see them in a few months on the Summer Slaughter tour. Damn that will be amazing.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
16.05.2012 - 14:15
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 16.05.2012 at 06:05

After how many years of listening to metal, I have finally heard this band.

Good for you. They really are a great band. The band does kinda get mislabeled and thrown in with the whole metalcore thing, but once you find out how different they are it's like being let in on the secret.
16.05.2012 - 19:09
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Guest on 16.05.2012 at 14:15

it's like being let in on the secret.

Geez, you're kind of right about that! I've been initiated to the secret club of good metalcore
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
16.05.2012 - 22:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Susan on 16.05.2012 at 19:09

Geez, you're kind of right about that! I've been initiated to the secret club of good metalcore

Welcome
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.05.2012 - 22:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Susan on 16.05.2012 at 19:09

Written by Guest on 16.05.2012 at 14:15

it's like being let in on the secret.

You should definitely check out Converge if you haven't. Really really good band. Axe To Fall, Jane Doe and You Fail Me are the ones I've heard and they are all excellent They can be quite abrassive soemtimes though but I love it. You can start with Axe To Fall as it seems like it's one of the easiest to get into and covers a lot of their sound.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2012 - 12:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Susan on 16.05.2012 at 06:05

After how many years of listening to metal, I have finally heard this band. For some reason I had sadly misjudged them before even hearing any. I listened to The Great Misdirect several times today and could not get enough. God. Damn. Talk about innovative and interesting! I love how organic all of the different elements came together; the album was full of variety but it never, ever felt forced.

I'm thrilled to get to see them in a few months on the Summer Slaughter tour. Damn that will be amazing.

I'm so glad to know this! They are awesome

Have you listened to their other albums? Their latest EP is also nice, although generally it wasn't very well accepted, I loved it though.
----

My Instagram
19.05.2012 - 17:12
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 19.05.2012 at 12:54

Their latest EP is also nice, although generally it wasn't very well accepted, I loved it though.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the latest EP as well. It felt more focused and had some very memorable meolodies.
19.05.2012 - 19:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 19.05.2012 at 17:12

Written by BloodTears on 19.05.2012 at 12:54

Their latest EP is also nice, although generally it wasn't very well accepted, I loved it though.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the latest EP as well. It felt more focused and had some very memorable meolodies.

I thought it was a step forward in terms of the way they are exploring melodies now. I feel however, that their heavier side might be going a bit sterile, but I hope they can turn that around on the new album.
----

My Instagram
19.05.2012 - 20:02
Uldreth

Written by BloodTears on 19.05.2012 at 19:44

I thought it was a step forward in terms of the way they are exploring melodies now. I feel however, that their heavier side might be going a bit sterile, but I hope they can turn that around on the new album.

I felt that ever since Colors tbh. Don't get me wrong, Colors and The Great Misdirect are both great albums (and I haven't fully heard the EP so I dunno about that) but I got introduced to this band via the self titled which was a kind of angry album but also built a lot on the soft/harsh dynamics (and most of their soft sections are very well done like the ones in More Of Myself To Kill and Aspirations) and it feels like that anger is missing from the harsh parts from their newest stuff. TGM is probably my second favourite BTBAM album though even with the fact that I'd like their old songwriting ways back, if that makes any sense .
19.05.2012 - 20:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Uldreth on 19.05.2012 at 20:02

I felt that ever since Colors tbh. Don't get me wrong, Colors and The Great Misdirect are both great albums (and I haven't fully heard the EP so I dunno about that) but I got introduced to this band via the self titled which was a kind of angry album but also built a lot on the soft/harsh dynamics (and most of their soft sections are very well done like the ones in More Of Myself To Kill and Aspirations) and it feels like that anger is missing from the harsh parts from their newest stuff. TGM is probably my second favourite BTBAM album though even with the fact that I'd like their old songwriting ways back, if that makes any sense .

That makes sense, yes. I understand where you are coming from. I thought TGM was strong on their heavier side though, that album is almost perfect for me, so I don't have many complaints there. I agree that their soft sections are really well done, that was what attracted me to their music in the first place. And then I fell in love with their growls and extreme metal elements. I don't think they will return to their 'old songwriting ways' because they seem to be the kind of band that really focuses more on the future and new approaches, but I might be wrong
----

My Instagram