Metal Storm logo
Between the Buried and Me

17.05.2006 - 05:32
Endoftherainbow

Although I'm not 100% sure this band belongs in this forum they are a band that I have become quite fond of as of late they play a style of music that is a combination between: Death Metal, Progressive Metal, and Metalcore. I would suggest that any fan of any of these genres check out song Selkies: The Endless Obsession by them because I feel that it describes their sound best. You can also tell that this band seems to be heavily influenced by bands like Opeth, The Dillenger Escape Plan, and Symphony X. Although I described them as a band that is part metalcore don't let this make you not check them out they have great drumming every song has great solo and the guitar players can both shred and sweep as well as anyone else I've heard. They have released three albums now my favorite being the newest one Alaska and one the 13th of June they are releasing a cover album which includes the following songs:
1. Metallica - Blackened
2. Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
3. Soundgarden - Day I Tried to Live
4. Queen - Bicycle Race
5. King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
6. Pink Floyd - Us and Them
7. Smashing Pumpkins - Geek USA
8. Earth Crisis - Forced March
9. Sepultura - Territory
10. Blind Melon - Change
11. Faith No More - Malpractice
12. Depeche Mode - Little 15
13. Pantera - Cemetary Gates
With a cover cd like this you know they aren't your average band check them out they kick ass
17.05.2006 - 20:05
Thryce
Retired Staff
Between The Buried And Me - Metallica Cover Posted Online :

You can check out Between The Buried And Me's cover of "Blackened" (Metallica) here. The track comes off their upcoming covers album, "the anatomy of...", which will be released on June 13th through Victory Records. Endoftherainbow has already posted the full tracklisting.

(Source : www.myspace.com/betweentheburiedandme)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
30.06.2006 - 08:27
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was really surprised by this band. It is true than fans can ruin the image of a band. I had read and seen things that made me want to stay away from this band for some time. Id Est; The excessive amounts of "core" name calling being thrown around and a personal experience of people known to be affiliated with this band, among other things. However, I've listened to them and they are pretty good. They have some really great passages within their music, ranging from Hardcore to Grind to even Dream Theater-esque parts. Really interesting. I am thinking about picking up a copy of 'Alaska' sometime. I've seen it around for only eight bucks used, so we'll see.
----
The force will be with you, always.
30.06.2006 - 19:42
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Im not a huge fan of this band. They'll seem to pull off a really incredible riff, and the screaming vocals will come in and completely butcher it for me. For example, the intro riff to 'Selkies: The Endless Obsession' on 'Alaska' is amazing, and then the Cynic-esque melodic vocals come in which is still neat, but then the shitty metalcore screaming comes in and just...at that point i cant listen to it anymore. I will say, that their cover of 'Bicycle Race' by Queen completely blew me away.
30.06.2006 - 21:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I've always thought that I really liked this band but I recently listened to their first two albums and I didn't really care for them much, mostly because of the vocals. However, I still really like Alaska.

I've seen this band twice live. The first time they sucked major because they played all of their slow stuff but the second time I saw them was when they released Alaska and decided to play all of their fast stuff and put on a great show.
30.06.2006 - 21:55
Ibanez07
Account deleted
I'm not as big a fan as I think I could be [strickly because I haven't had the chance to listen to much of their stuff]. But I've heard enough to know that they are ALL fine musicians. [Oh yeah...they play Ibanez S series guitars]. The last like 4 minutes of Selkies is AMAZING, and Alaska is quite good itself. I'm not normally a fan of quick power chords and bassnarebasnnarebasnare fastass drumming, but they use it in moderation, and at the right times. I need to get into them more...
01.07.2006 - 07:48
Despised Icon
Account deleted
They are awesome, nuff said.
01.07.2006 - 08:36
Jerk

The guitarist is such a good sweeper. I don't know why they use so many breakdowns. They'll have some sweet riffage then kill it with a breakdown. They're an okay band but nothing special. They have their moments but I consider them to be metalcore. (move thread if you could somebody). Their cover of Blackened it pretty good though. I'll check out their Pantera version.
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
03.07.2006 - 00:39
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Written by Jerk on 01.07.2006 at 08:36

The guitarist is such a good sweeper. I don't know why they use so many breakdowns. They'll have some sweet riffage then kill it with a breakdown. They're an okay band but nothing special. They have their moments but I consider them to be metalcore. (move thread if you could somebody). Their cover of Blackened it pretty good though. I'll check out their Pantera version.

You're totally right, reminds me a lot of Unearth [same guitars too...odd]. They can write these flowing melodies, as well as amazing solos- sometimes quite Gothenburgesque, then they go and kill in with 30 seconds worth of quick trem power chords and palm muting...it drives me batshit. Such talent, but put to waste sometimes...
03.07.2006 - 04:54
Jerk

Written by Guest on 03.07.2006 at 00:39

Written by Jerk on 01.07.2006 at 08:36

You're totally right, reminds me a lot of Unearth [same guitars too...odd]. They can write these flowing melodies, as well as amazing solos- sometimes quite Gothenburgesque, then they go and kill in with 30 seconds worth of quick trem power chords and palm muting...it drives me batshit. Such talent, but put to waste sometimes...

I like Unearth more. The vocals are awesome. I've seen them live twice so that helps. But I hope BTBAM will use less breakdowns. I truely doubt it though.
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
29.07.2006 - 01:22
Endoftherainbow

Between the Buried and Me similar to Unearth? I doubt it they have almost nothing in common BTBAM's songs are much more complex then those of Unearth. BTBAM is more heavily rooted in prog while Unearth is more rooted in hardcore and doesn't use the complex rythms and odd time signatures that can be found in BTBAM songs. Also there's alot more emotion in songs like Shavenel Cut A Flip then any song unearth has to offer.
16.06.2007 - 06:59
Spensaur
Account deleted
I honestly used to like this band, but the more i listend to them, the more lame they got, allthough a few of their songs from Alaska i still dont mind, but all they seem to be to me is some lame scene kid hardcore band with talent... talent which i tihnk is put to bad use, they could be so much of a better then they are now IMO.
17.06.2007 - 02:54
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Alaska and The Silent Circus are great albums. Really good band. I'm excited for the new one coming out soon.
11.12.2007 - 15:58
RockeRoy

Between the buried and me is awesome! i'm becoming a big fan! i love alaska and spesialy their new album Colors! i'm looking forward to hear silent sircus because i haven't yet! and to compear with Unearth is just lame
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
14.02.2008 - 12:46
b0000mst1ck

okay, so i've been against this band since they first came out. mainly because they blew up in the US too quickly, while tons of other vastly experienced bands were still extremely unpopular. if there ever was a bandwagon that overflowed with pre-teen know-nothings, it was this band's. why they became as popular as they did, as quickly as they did, is still unknown to me. my best guess would be how well they were promoted.

anyway, curiosity killed me last week. i went and downloaded colors to try and figure out why there was all this hype about it. and i have to say (and bare with me, because this is difficult for me to do) that they really stepped up with this CD. i still don't like the over-use of breakdowns and constant changes in the phrases, but overall it's not too bad. i've heard alaska enough to know that i hate that album, but i may actually buy colors.

there. i feel better. a little ashamed, but better.
14.02.2008 - 14:07
m3t4lh34d

I made the mistake of lumping them together with other mediocre metalcore bands before giving them a good listen. It was a mistake, very good band. Alaska and Colors are both class.
27.02.2008 - 07:04
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
I like their 2007 release, didnt listen to anything more, impressive album though.
29.04.2008 - 08:35
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I have heard some earlier stuff, alaska and Colors. If not for colors this band would be almost pointless to check out. As much as I hate to say it, it was quite a good album. Not as amazing as some think but not as bad as any metalhead would hope. I went in completely biased thinking it would be as shitty as alaska but boy was I wrong. The second half of the cd definitely kicks the first half's ass any day though. Some songs are rather tedious and not worth their length but are still enjoyable nonetheless, quite a rare circumstance, but I did for the most part enjoy their newest offering..
30.04.2008 - 02:05
ß
Problem?
Hm I thought Alaska was pretty good.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
29.08.2008 - 14:06
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Currently making my way through Colours and I can honestly say the praise and hype over it is justified. It's an absolute tour de force in avante garde metal. I was expecting a metalcore album that meddles with the odd foreign style but instead they've practically transcended the metalcore tag entirely by intelligently incorporating an inumerable array of styles and techniques into a single album that works on so many levels. Sod the image, this is music.
09.11.2008 - 22:32
Freyya

This is a "recent" band that really has impressed me. Actually I'm more interested in classic metal bands, old school...you know...but Between the buried blew my mind! Excellent style, every album has something that makes me want some more...that's why I have all their albums, I hope to buy the selftitled and Colors dvd soon!
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
10.11.2008 - 01:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone heard the album Colors Live? The biggest reason why I don't care much for Colors is because of the production, but I'm interested in hearing the new live album.
10.11.2008 - 04:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Great band! My favorite album is Colors...I just love how this band mixes hardcore with progressive and jazz fusion influences...I can imagine how hard it would be piecing an album like Colors together...
10.11.2008 - 08:52
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i just watched them at the hard rock live and i must say i wasn't very excited about them but it was a good show...colors is a great album and they played it amazingly well...imo the best song was white walls...i didn't like some old songs, i think they're work is getting better and i hope it continues that wayl... their last song was selkies and i liked it alot...at the end, they started shaking hands and stuff with ppl from the front rows, nice guys actually...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
15.11.2008 - 09:01
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Sorry-- never really got in to this band. Their sound is almost-there with me, but not fully engrossing... maybe someday we'll be best friends...
19.05.2009 - 16:59
Elio
Red Nightmare
What a great album is Colors! Anything else from this band worth to try?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.05.2009 - 19:14
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Elio on 19.05.2009 at 16:59

Colors Live!

Also, Alaska is pretty good.

BTW: If you like these guys check out Becoming The Archetype, Protest The Hero and The Human Abstract.
----
(space for rent)
25.05.2009 - 19:21
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Dane Train on 25.05.2009 at 19:14

Written by Elio on 19.05.2009 at 16:59

Colors Live!

Also, Alaska is pretty good.

BTW: If you like these guys check out Becoming The Archetype, Protest The Hero and The Human Abstract.

Thanks for the tips man. Not that I'm into metalcore but there are some hidden gems worth to find out.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.05.2009 - 19:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Elio on 25.05.2009 at 19:21

Thanks for the tips man. Not that I'm into metalcore but there are some hidden gems worth to find out.

I would call those bands Metalcore as much as I would call Opeth Death Metal or Boknagar Black Metal.
----
(space for rent)
18.06.2009 - 19:24
MeloDeathViking

I have to say, when I saw the commercials for Alaska back upon its release, i never gave it a shot and just lumped it in with all the other metalcore bands out there. I don't remember what it was, but something on this site let me know that I had to buy Colors. Whatever it was, I'm glad it did, because that album dropped a bombshell on me. In less than a week it's become one of my favorite albums, the all around complexity and song writing are absolutely astounding. I just got Alaska yesterday, and although I like it, it's definitly a notch below Colors. My only concern/questoin remains, can their next album be up to the standards they set with Colors???? I really could use another album that hits me with the force that Colors did.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott