03. Black Literature
04. Inside The Sunburnt Thoughts of Frost
05. Father Legatus: Of Symbols, Nature And Birth
06. Beyond The Dragon's Eye
07. Wizardry Assemblage
08. Medina's Spell
09. Disillusion
10. The Atmosphere

Dark Millennium is a German Doom/Death Metal band that was active in the early nineties. They made two demos and two albums. Each release is special and has it's own sound.

"Ashore The Celestial Burden" consists of songs from the demo "Of Sceptre Their Ashes May Be" in addition of some new songs. The whole set may sound bland and too polished (compared to Of Sceptre), however it offers a special ambiance all throughout it. Hilton Theissen and Michael Burmann did some excellent work on songs like "Beyond the Dragon's Eye," "Father Legatus," and "Medina's Spell" which are really unique in the overall doom/death sound, i.e. the songs sound very light, weak and not that heavy, but yet it seems to work, after some time you begin to feel the dark atmosphere of this great overlooked album. The major disappointment in Ashore The Celestial Burden comes from the vocals... oh how it could have been better if they were appropriate Death Metal growls!! Taking in consideration that the lyrics aren't the boring gory kind at all but more about personal/epic and fictional stories, it enhances that feeling that it could be better. The production of this album is debatable too, it isn't that bad but it's nothing mind blowing at all. Clean and distorted guitars could have been better. For most of those who heard Of Sceptre Their Ashes May Be this album will really sound strange compared to Dark Millennium's masterpiece (that demo indeed).

This album is a must, a little jewel like those you find somewhere in shadows hiding from everyone's sight. I strongly recommend this album and this strongly overlooked band in general. A special doom/death sound with extraordinary ideas, despite the little disappointment and that "incomplete" feeling somehow.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: -

Written by ylside | 14.10.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 42 users
26.05.2008 - 19:26
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
this is one masterpiece of death metal art, and i luckly bought it for only 20 euro!
recommended to all fans of death and progressive metal.
26.05.2008 - 22:13
Rating: 9
ylside

Written by Guest on 26.05.2008 at 19:26

this is one masterpiece of death metal art, and i luckly bought it for only 20 euro!

ONLY 20 euro ? I got mine for 10 !
26.05.2008 - 22:22
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 26.05.2008 at 22:13

Written by Guest on 26.05.2008 at 19:26

ONLY 20 euro ? I got mine for 10 !

damn you xD! where did you find it?
27.05.2008 - 00:17
ylside

In Greece.
02.08.2009 - 05:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Norm on 02.08.2009 at 05:27

I've been looking for this awesome CD everywhere, the only time I've seen it for sale it was running for $140, so I passed it up.

what? that is totaly ridiculous. A normal seller would sell it for between 10 and 20 euros, else the guy/gal is a rip-off.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2009 - 05:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Norm on 02.08.2009 at 05:42

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 05:40

Written by Norm on 02.08.2009 at 05:27

I've been looking for this awesome CD everywhere, the only time I've seen it for sale it was running for $140, so I passed it up.

what? that is totaly ridiculous. A normal seller would sell it for between 10 and 20 euros, else the guy/gal is a rip-off.

I don't know, I've seen bids on e-bay go over $200 before if the CD is rare enough. Oh well, my point is that I cannot find this CD for a reasonable price anywhere.

I guess I am lucky then... cause I used to own the cd when it wa sfirst released but somehow decided to oart with it years later, but then was able to buy it again for 10 euros last year from a guy who did away with cause he had just recently obtained it on vinyl. (he sells all his cd's once he has them on vinyl, a complete and utter vinyl freak yes )
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2009 - 04:22
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Fucking dark.
I've been listening this album for the past few months and i can't find any flaws, indeed a doom/death masterpiece. About the vocals i think they fit perfectly because he sings with emotion and by not using the standard old school death metal growl i can hear the brilliant lyrics (one of the highest points of this album).
From this album to the next one there was a significant change but it is a good melodic doom/death album nonetheless.
25.11.2009 - 16:56
ylside

Written by Unconsecrated on 25.11.2009 at 04:22

From this album to the next one there was a significant change but it is a good melodic doom/death album nonetheless.

Yes man I must say I disliked Diana Read Peace in the beginning since it wasnt death metal anymore.. only to rediscover it years later, and it is just as awesome as this one.

Hits total: 5947 | This month: 8