Metal Storm logo
You Suck!!

Written by: Herzebeth
Published: 30.05.2008

So the culture of "You Suck!" arrived and it's stronger than ever...

I was all happy polishing my nice CD collection, I noticed my lack of a buckethead album so I went to the local record store just to find almost every single album by that fellow is more expensive than a piña colonic, so I bought the following items instead:

Buckethead - Enter The Chicken
The Kooks - Konk
Mogwai - Rock Action
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Slow Riot For New Zero Canada EP

All of a sudden an old guy (you know with geek glasses, short hair an old candlemass shirt and the classic old man fat belly) basically just looking old (he was maybe 40 or so) came to me and said...

Old Dude: So I noticed you are wearing a Carcass shirt, cool band and all, you going' CD huntin' today aren't ya'?

I thought..."uh a friendly geek, what a nice thing..."

Herz: Sort of, I just wanted some Buckethead for my collection and...

Old Dude: *Going Crazy* Buckethead?!?!?!!? what the fuck are you doing wearing a Carcass shirt if you like Buckethead?

Herz: Well uhm...what's the big deal, I'm open minded I guess...

Old Dude: *sees my new CD's* and Mogwai? Dude you suck!

Herz: WTF?!?!

Old Dude: *enters an office while looking really geek and senior*

Turns out the dude was the owner of the fucking store; so it makes me wonder, a dude who's almost 40 years old owns a record shop, he's a metal-head and hates almost everything that doesn't sound classic or old-school...then I figure, why the fuck does he opens a record shop with tons of rock albums and lacks of musical appreciation...to feel better about himself? to buy food for his kids? to earn the right of saying "you suck" to people with non metal albums on their to-buy list?

Are we all elitists? me calling him a Geek doesn't makes me that open-minded neither right? we then have "anti-poser" topics throughout the entire forum, I've seen people throwing bottles at emos and posers in concerts... yes they suck...but why really?

The thing is, maybe that old dude should have been polishing his phonograph while listening to old hippie bands like May Blitz or Iron Butterfly...he decided not to and starts listening to metal to feel less old...good for him, way to go!... but then bashes a helpless little kid (me) for buying things he doesn't like, WTF?

why the hell do most people wants to feel more like a connoiseur by telling other people "they suck"???

In the end there will be always someone more clever than you, more experienced than you, with ten times more CD's than you and so on...still we see someone with less stuff and we obviously take the chance and inmediately say "You Suck"!!!! it feels so warm and nice...but it's fucking wrong...right?...right? come on I KNOW YOU'VE USED THIS PHRASE MORE THAN ONCE!!!

so anyway, this was my nice experience this day, if you didn't like it just read the title again

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   Visited by: 351 users
05.08.2008 - 05:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Hehe, i gotta say you made me laugh with your blog. That guy was pathetic.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.08.2008 - 22:09
TheKurgan
Account deleted
Next time, take a deep breath while looking at the person dead in the eyes and say "Don't ever speak to me.". He will probably walk away faster if you haven't showered in a few years and smell like a rotting corpse. Works for me
06.08.2008 - 22:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hahaha, how the hell could the store owner (!) act that way?
----
08.10.2008 - 23:25
Elio
Red Nightmare
what an idiot... Carcass actually sound heavier after listening Mogwai
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.10.2008 - 02:17
Gigginova
Account deleted
Herzebeth, I'm sorry, I couldn't help but find your story funny!

I wouldn't be upset if I were you though, at least not this long after it occured.
It's okay to be loyal to True Metal! Hell yeah! But to be closed minded and act like some right-wing motherfvcker is never cool though.

I adore the more true and genuine metal too.....but I also like Aggrotech, Old-School Rap & G-Funk, Reggae, Classic/Psychedelic Rock.......I'm listening to a rare Blues song by Jimi Hendrix right now. But I still stay loyal to real metal music, so I see not the problem.

Ultimately, that's his bad, not yours man.
Peace.
09.10.2008 - 02:50
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I would have just said "Your store sucks" and smashed the CDs on the ground... LEG IT!!!
12.11.2008 - 23:58
Gothya
You right, actually when i got nothing better to say i use that word, many (many) times, in fact, i use it everytime i finish a sentence, because that´s become a usual word in my vocabulary; now, i kinda think like you in this case, cuz there´s a lot of times and many of us that think all we listen to is better than others do and dont give the chance to accept that; though i gotta admit i cant bear all types of music and in someway i´m a bit like this dude cuz (for example) if i see someone wearing a metal t-shirt buying pop music cds of stuff like that, i will probably say 'u suck' wich also doesnt mean i´m totally wrong because is also true that there´s a lot of guys whom dont like metal but they wear those clothes just to pretend something wich its not them just like there´s other ones wich like the desings of the clothes and it´s valid too

however the owener was a freak cuz he cant say those kind of comment cuz like u said, that´s the stuff he´s selling and he cant judge anyone because of their likes; that´s wasnt good
he sucks

----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
14.11.2008 - 01:36
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Discuss at length the deep philosophical meaning of Britney Spears' "Womanizer," Herz, and see if he bites.
----
02.01.2009 - 01:42
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 09.10.2008 at 02:50

I would have just said "Your store sucks" and smashed the CDs on the ground... LEG IT!!!

No man, ya cyan't do that, that only leads to more trouble and more stress.......

Listening to one kind of music only is not good for the soul lol....
Since my last post, I got into Indie Pop/Rock.

I've become incredibly fond of other Caribbean music besides Reggae such as: Soca and Rake N' Scrape (Bahamian music).

Also I been toying with some experimental electro stuff too.

My first love will always lie with Metal, but ya can't be a Nazi who jacks off to it lol.
I hope Herzebeth STILL doesn't feel bad.
07.01.2009 - 23:51
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I also get extremly angry at comments that were clearly meant as a friendly joke. I feel your pain, man.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.01.2009 - 08:51
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 07.01.2009 at 23:51

I also get extremly angry at comments that were clearly meant as a friendly joke. I feel your pain, man.

were you talking to me?
what do you mean?
10.01.2009 - 19:21
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Referring to first post
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
12.01.2009 - 21:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
It's funny how so many metalheads claim to be open-minded but ultimately act like the shop owner - castigating and ridiculing anyone whose tastes fall outset the umbrella of their own.

and non-chain record store employees are often the worst.

i remember at the local place here (the one that carries the shit you're not likely to find a best buy or whatever chain stores still exist) once i went in with some friends one night to pick up some cd's. we got up to the counter with our purchases and White Zombie's cover of "Children of the Grave" was on the store stereo.

i remarked, "oh, it's the cool white zombie song." to my friend.

the young twentysomething clerk whose music tastes were clearly superior to my own looked down at me from his cash register pulpit and said "it's Black Sabbath" in a snotty voice as if he were educating a 1st grader.

i looked back at him and answered, "no, i'm pretty sure that's White Zombie. it might be the Sabbath song off 'Master of Reality', but i'm pretty sure that it's White Zombie playing it.", then smiled.

was nice to put him in his place.

the one thrill of hitting the record store is not knowing exactly what you'll find - it's like a treasure hunt. it might be easier to just order the albums i want off the internet, but it's more fun to hunt.

the one major drawback of going to any indy store which cares lesser "appreciated" genres of music - i.e. metal or punk - is having to deal with the annoying know-it-all prick behind that counter that passes judgment on your purchases. not all of 'em are like that, but too many are way too similar to Jack Black's hilarious character (caricature) in "High Fidelity."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.02.2009 - 02:42
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh I know how does it feels, I was a man like that, until I met someone who changed me in many ways, and thanks to her I became tolerant and really open minded. Still sometimes I say stupid things like that old man, but just when I really need to be like that... or sometimes when I'm drunk... Whatever, let's be open minded, we cannot live just with metal, yeah, like Gigginova said, I'm loyal to Metal, but I can listen to other great things like Jazz, Classic, Blues, Rock music, sometimes Rap and other things like anime music or José José hehe (a popular singer here in Mexico). I promise I won't be an asshole anymore (well... not always, sometimes we need an asshole right? ... right?!?).
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
12.02.2009 - 06:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 12.01.2009 at 21:01

the one major drawback of going to any indy store which cares lesser "appreciated" genres of music - i.e. metal or punk - is having to deal with the annoying know-it-all prick behind that counter that passes judgment on your purchases. not all of 'em are like that, but too many are way too similar to Jack Black's hilarious character (caricature) in "High Fidelity."

Oh christ, no kidding. Theres this one store I go to called Sloth Records, they mostly carry underground punk and alt rock that takes up out 3/4 of the store, then about 1/4 metal, which mostly consists of USBM and Hardcore type stuff. But you wouldn't imagine the dirty looks I get when I walk in wearing one of my Ramones shirts.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.02.2009 - 15:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daggon on 12.02.2009 at 02:42

...we cannot live just with metal,...

Yes I can...
the variety within metal is more than enough to keep me happy. From black metal to death metal to thrash metal to doom metal to epic metal to alternative metal to progressive metal to glam metal to avantgarde metal etc. etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.02.2009 - 21:04
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2009 at 15:34

Written by Daggon on 12.02.2009 at 02:42

...we cannot live just with metal,...

Yes I can...
the variety within metal is more than enough to keep me happy. From black metal to death metal to thrash metal to doom metal to epic metal to alternative metal to progressive metal to glam metal to avantgarde metal etc. etc.

let's be honest dude....you CAN'T live with nothing but metal, come on, that's the most closed minded thing I've ever read from you.

You dig The Mars Volta...they are not Metal....not at all Metal...
----
12.02.2009 - 21:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Maybe I am close-minded when it comes to music outside of metal, so what?
Metal has enough variety in it to keep me interested. I am open-minded within metal but close-minded outside of it.

As for The Mars Volta they have enough metal/hard rock (=metal no mattter what the revisionists say ) within them for me to consider them metal/hard rock.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.02.2009 - 14:58
Himann
Orm KrigGud
People are often so much more than the music they listen to. While I may be quick to criticize the bands I wouldn't really criticize the person for listening to them. Having said that, I suppose that too is an indirect insult. Either way, I'm a biased man.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
27.02.2009 - 23:37
Talvi
Slow Riot For New Zero Canada is like the best thing ever.

But I see this all the day. Closeminded metalheads I mean. They just do their job with everyone, but are nicer with metalheads. He was probably sad because of a friendly metalhead de-metalizing himself with some shitty nonmetal music. What a shame of metalness.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
04.03.2009 - 05:57
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2009 at 21:40

Metal has enough variety in it to keep me interested. I am open-minded within metal but close-minded outside of it.

As for The Mars Volta they have enough metal/hard rock (=metal no mattter what the revisionists say ) within them for me to consider them metal/hard rock.

¬_¬ Hey Marcel... are you really serious? hehe come on! "I am open-minded within metal but close-minded outside of it", but you are the one that has written on his signature "Member Of The True Crusade Against European Flower Metal"... well it is just a comment hehehe...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
09.03.2009 - 14:32
DayFly
Written by Daggon on 04.03.2009 at 05:57

¬_¬ Hey Marcel... are you really serious? hehe come on! "I am open-minded within metal but close-minded outside of it", but you are the one that has written on his signature "Member Of The True Crusade Against European Flower Metal"... well it is just a comment hehehe...

As long as it's a kind of tongue in cheek thing it's okay, in my opinion. I thought most people grow out of this attitude when they reach puberty, guess it takes marriage in the more extreme cases. But in all honesty, European Flower Metal does suck a little
09.03.2009 - 22:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by DayFly on 09.03.2009 at 14:32

Written by Daggon on 04.03.2009 at 05:57

As long as it's a kind of tongue in cheek thing it's okay, in my opinion. I thought most people grow out of this attitude when they reach puberty, guess it takes marriage in the more extreme cases. But in all honesty, European Flower Metal does suck a little

Finally someone who gets it
Of course it is tongue in cheek. Okay I don't like 99% of the European Flower but I am still willing to check out new bands (same goes for the gothic metal scene and female fronted scene) just in case there are some good bands in there.

OPen-minded doesn't mean you like everything, it means you are willing to give everything a fair chance.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2009 - 22:32
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2009 at 22:08

Finally someone who gets it
Of course it is tongue in cheek. Okay I don't like 99% of the European Flower but I am still willing to check out new bands (same goes for the gothic metal scene and female fronted scene) just in case there are some good bands in there.

OPen-minded doesn't mean you like everything, it means you are willing to give everything a fair chance.

Well now your statement sounds a bit different and I'm with you, yeah, you don't have to like everything, but you can always check something promising or new. I like how you said "Give everything a fair chance"

And yes, European Flower metal sucks a little... but also other Metal subgenres have sucky bands (maybe more than the so called EFM)
----
12.03.2009 - 06:33
IronBlackZepp
I guess if someone told me I sucked for a kind of music I like and it turned out to be the owner of the fuckin record store I would be like "Not as bad as the customer service in this store" the guy has no class I tell you, no class.
17.03.2009 - 05:32
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
First of all, Buckethead kicks balls, he gives you toys at his shows. Secondly, I can totally relate to you. People think I'm a poser just because I don't listen to all things metal. Hell, I listen to just about everything but modern country and modern rap and hip-hop. Somehow those genres has lost their meaning over the generations. But back to the point, No one. and I mean NO ONE ever has a right to judge anyone on the music they listen to. To judge someone on their music is the saddest thing ever, cuz its only for that person to think they seem cool. Sorry old dude, music evolves. I can name fifty songs better than "In A Gadda Da Vida".
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
18.04.2009 - 04:29
TormentoR.
What a 40-or-so-yrs-old-geek-dude-with-glasses-short-hair-and-an-old-candlemass-shirt-and-not-to-forget-the-classic-old-man-fat-belly
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
22.04.2009 - 17:51
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Be open-mind but be not open-mind, I think there are some limits! be a muslim and be a christian while you are atheist. it seems very disguisting. but you can be an atheist and respect others, you can be a christian and respect others. and you can do it in music too. but you cant love raps and metals and rockers and popers and suckers all together! but you can respect them, but no need to hide your hate I think. just be yourself.
03.04.2012 - 21:33
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I would say: Go to hell, pick these album and push them into your [insert a dirt hole here].
30.11.2013 - 17:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I can't believe this article is over 5 years old and no one has made a joke that marcel is the shop owner.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 9199 | This month: 90