03. Open The Gates Of Damnation
04. Claws Of Death
05. Storm Of The Reaper
06. Envoy Of Lucifer
07. Evil Is Eternal
08. Raging Flames
09. Belial's Prey
10. No More Life

The word "hiatus" is a very fun word to use, here try it "?Hi-a-tus?", now it seems like Nifelheim abused and sodomized this word and this exercise way too much for the past few years. 7 years Man!!! 7 years waiting for a "Servants Of Darkness" follow-up is just a huge pain in the ass if you ask me. To tell you the truth when the band announced this new piece I think I actually said "-Nifelheim eh? uhm, I think they sound oddly familiar to me"...but well, they finally released it, the new Satan's beast found its way to freedom and it's ready to burn our churches and institutions to the ground...

First things first, "Envoy Of Lucifer" as an album sounds like a battering-ram destroying the seven gates of hell. It's fresh and really violent, it's Black Metal caressing the balls of old-school Thrash and it's waiting to blow everything in its path. So first things first - as I already said, if you haven't heard this band at all, you'll be blown to pieces when this CD reaches your player, this experience will make you sit and think how many years of your life were wasted by hearing Dimmu Borgir and whatnot...

...Now, "Envoy Of Lucifer" as a "Servants Of Darkness" follow-up makes me feel raped both physically and mentally: the band doesn't sound at all like they used to, sure they created something more aggressive and ten times more technical and polished, but we waited 7 years for that raw punch that knocked us out back in the year 2000 and I rather have constant violence injected inside my ears than atmospheres and slow intermezzos. I'm not saying they should have released the same album over and over again like many bands do nowadays, but a little respect towards nostalgia could have been very nice for their fans don't you think?

So, the record as a whole simply rocks, the structures and almost everything regarding the songwriting is really interesting and complex, the music per-se is just incendiary in every way... But I do miss the old Nifelheim very much...that's just me though, and to be honest I'm still a big fan of this band and I'm still going to see them live two months from now... with a grin on my face...

Best Tracks: "Open The Gates Of Damnation", "Infernal Flame Of Destruction", "Claws Of Death"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by Herzebeth | 30.05.2008

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 151 users
31.05.2008 - 16:04
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
This band is really stupid, I can't stand them... a bit of funny trivia that probably most people from Sweden knows - two of the members are the main characters in a documentary which title translates to 'Brothers of Heavy Metal'. Apparently they are extreme Iron Maiden fans and own every release by them - and they also appear to be extremely stupid.
Anyway, not my cup of tea.
31.05.2008 - 17:37
Sunioj

Written by Spyroid on 31.05.2008 at 16:04

This band is really stupid, I can't stand them... a bit of funny trivia that probably most people from Sweden knows - two of the members are the main characters in a documentary which title translates to 'Brothers of Heavy Metal'. Apparently they are extreme Iron Maiden fans and own every release by them - and they also appear to be extremely stupid.

What do you think of the music?
31.05.2008 - 18:42
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Sunioj on 31.05.2008 at 17:37

What do you think of the music?

I don't like it at all. I saw them live last summer and it was ridicolous, I walked away after 15 minutes.
The point with my post was mostly to inform people about the documentary. When it comes down, there's not really any point in commenting a review only to say that you don't like the band. I justed wanted to point that out
15.09.2008 - 15:07
meatallic beast
Account deleted
spyroid, you seem very bloody stupid!
04.01.2009 - 13:26
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Guest on 15.09.2008 at 15:07

Because I don't like your favourite band?
09.10.2010 - 12:00
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Wow this was indeed awesome!!! Although i have to agree with Herz i'd love to hear the old Nifelheim again. Anyways this is a great album. Recommended
15.08.2013 - 11:36
Lustful Maid

Written by Spyroid on 04.01.2009 at 13:26

Written by Guest on 15.09.2008 at 15:07

Because I don't like your favourite band?

NO !
Because you did not tell us the reasons what made Nifelheim so stupid. Your accusation without reasons was idiotic.
01.12.2015 - 14:38
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted

This band is really the best, No one can stand up to them... a bit of funny trivia that probably most people from Sweden knows - two of the members are the main characters in a documentary which title translates to 'Brothers of Heavy Metal'. Apparently they are extreme Iron Maiden fans and own every release by them - and they also appear to be extremely talented.

Hits total: 6670 | This month: 8