Metal Storm logo
The Best Female Voices In Metal!

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 03.06.2008 - 18:37
Well Lately I've been looking for some bands with awesome and beautiful female vocals I've been dealing with bands like Epica, Within Temptation, diablo Swing Orchestra, After Forever and (my favorite) Leave's Eyes...

So, I'm looking for voices lined towards Sara Brightman you know? angelic voices with a very sweet tone and style....please don't recommend stuff lined towards Diamanda Galas or that shemale Angela Gossow

STILL!!! If you have something alternative...(not metal)...stuff like The Sundays, Veruca Salt, The Birthday Massacre or whatever you want please recommend, I'm willing to try everything with a sweet melodious voice.

THANKS!

oh...and (to give something to this topic) I recommend all the bands I posted lol.
04.06.2008 - 14:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
A nice Peruvian band you might have heard of also has some nice female vocals Reino Ermitaño, although it does take most people quite some time to get into. The only album I heard by them is Brujas Del Mar so I can't vouch for the self-titled debut.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2008 - 15:39
albatros
Written by Herzebeth on 04.06.2008 at 04:11

Trail Of Tears sounds heavy, I'm looking for their stuff right now

I love it, but it's classical Beauty and Beast metal. Helena appears in most cases a minute or two into the song.
04.06.2008 - 16:36
Torelli
Written by Valentin B on 03.06.2008 at 22:19

Sharon del Adel is too mellow for me sometimes(though she sounds especially good in Ayreon's Day 11)

Sharon del Adel is not singing in that song, nor does she appear on the album at all. There are three female singers in that song: Heather Findlay("love"), Irene Jansen("Passion") and Marcela Bovio("Wife"). Heather and Marcela are the ones with the "sweet" voices.
04.06.2008 - 17:37
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.06.2008 at 14:55

A nice Peruvian band you might have heard of also has some nice female vocals Reino Ermitaño, although it does take most people quite some time to get into. The only album I heard by them is Brujas Del Mar so I can't vouch for the self-titled debut.

Haven't heard of them....I'm searching that name right now

Trail Of Tears was actually good you guys, though as it's stated above, there are more "he" vocals than female ones
----
04.06.2008 - 19:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted

Yes they're a great band, the best stoner I had heard from south america so far.
04.06.2008 - 20:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Torelli on 04.06.2008 at 16:36

Written by Valentin B on 03.06.2008 at 22:19

Sharon del Adel is too mellow for me sometimes(though she sounds especially good in Ayreon's Day 11)

Sharon del Adel is not singing in that song, nor does she appear on the album at all. There are three female singers in that song: Heather Findlay("love"), Irene Jansen("Passion") and Marcela Bovio("Wife"). Heather and Marcela are the ones with the "sweet" voices.

lol i mixed it up it seems well yeah, the one who's singing on day 11- Love is pretty great, Heather Findlay as i see... really great sweet voice, still not powerful but more warm than Sharon's.
07.06.2008 - 23:36
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
The Russian band Fleur has a female singer with a beautiful voice, so does the Romanian band Offertorium (try their song Der Sturm). You should find both of them on You tube.
If you're into atmospheric music, you should try Angelzoom, I really really love them, their songs are so dreamy, so beautiful... My advice : get started with the song Fairyland.

But of course, I never found a singer who could top Liv Kristine... seems that you share my point of view, since you listed Leave's Eyes ! I'm such a huge fan of the albums she did with Theater of Tragedy (Theater of tragedy, Aegis, Velvet darkness they fear). Her voice is so absolutely perfect and I think gothic metal has never been that great.
Honestly, Liv Kristine has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard... Songs like A distance there is, Angelique, Tales of the Sea Maid give me the creeps... she's such an angel !
07.06.2008 - 23:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff

Peruvian? Stoner doom? FEMALE VOCALS?
Must check this thing man!

Some Minutes later:

OMG... I loved them O.O... Awesome feeling, remains me of Electric Wizard but with cleaner production singing spanish and faster. I don't use to be so proud of my continent [I'm from Chile btw...] but this band deserves it...
I have to download this music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2008 - 21:52
albatros
Written by Guest on 07.06.2008 at 23:36

The Russian band Fleur has a female singer with a beautiful voice, so does the Romanian band Offertorium (try their song Der Sturm). You should find both of them on You tube.
If you're into atmospheric music, you should try Angelzoom, ...

Excellent suggestions, although your geography was a bit dizzy, if I may say so. One band being from Ukraine, the other from Moldavia I listened a bit to all of them and found them to be original and enjoyable. In the long run Angelzoom is probably not my thing, but her voice is good. Offertorium however were quite impressive to me and Fleur are really nice. I think I'd enjoy to see both bands live.
09.06.2008 - 09:54
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by Herzebeth on 04.06.2008 at 17:37

Trail Of Tears was actually good you guys, though as it's stated above, there are more "he" vocals than female ones

I didn't know you had made the jump to the female fronted scene, Herz! And regarding Trail Of Tears, yes, they have more male vocals than female vocals, but they have also switched female vocalists a few times, so the sounds are quite different depending on the release. While the Cds with Helena ("Profoundemonium", "Disclosure In Red") are what got me into the band, my all time favorite vocalist with the band is Catherine on the "A New Dimension Of Might" - who is now back in the band doing live shows. She only does about one-third of the vocals, but her performance a few minutes into the opener "Ecstatic" has mesmerized me since 2002!!

And that's awesome you enjoyed Autumn! "My New Time" is my top cd of 2007 without a question; the lyrics, mix, musicianmanship, all are superior! Their new singer can be heard on Ayreon's latest CD(s), and her other various projects on her myspace page - and she'll be able to perform the older works just fine I believe

Unless I missed it in an above post, check out The Sins Of Thy Beloved. Another Norwegian gothic metal band, and Anita's vocals are not operatic, but they are certainly angelic. I still listen to "Perpetual Desolation" quite regularly.

If you enjoy Leaves' Eyes so much, you may like Xandria a lot too. They lean more towards gothic ideas or Middle Eastern melodies instead of the Viking ideas like Leaves Eyes, but I'd still put them in the same area for metal.

Just out of your own curiosity, Midnattsol is the band of Liv Kristine's (of Leaves Eyes) sister. She has a different style of singing, more monotone and deeper, but I personally enjoy it equally as much.

Flowing Tears is another band with a slightly deeper style of female vocals, that I'd recommend because you enjoy the vocals of Autumn. It's a different style of music, however, but one of my favorite bands as well. Some of their older stuff captures a great gothic ambiance - "Jade" is somber in so many ways! From 2004 and on they have a different female vocalist - equally as good and the band has headed toward a slightly heavier sound, but still with 98% female vocals.

I can definitely list some more, but sometimes listing too many at once is hard to take in

Great to see you here, though!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
09.06.2008 - 09:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jason W. on 09.06.2008 at 09:54

I didn't know you had made the jump to the female fronted scene, Great to see you here, though!

Dismal Euphony Noreay band, thay didnt use female vocals? I never hear it but band seems great ,s pecely firts 2 albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.06.2008 - 10:17
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by Bad English on 09.06.2008 at 09:59

Dismal Euphony Noreay band, thay didnt use female vocals? I never hear it but band seems great ,s pecely firts 2 albums

Yes, K7, they did I didn't list it because their music is a bit harder to get into and more difficult to find online.

But yes, they had more than one female vocalist - a more lighter style that seems more appreciated - Keltziva - can be found on "Autumn Leaves - The Rebellion Of Tides". This is the first Cd I'd recommend of them. The mix is a bit muddy, but it adds a certain appeal over multiple listens. They are more melodic black metal than anything gothic or symphonic - so it's a different listen than other contempories like Tristania or Theatre Of Tragedy in the late '90s.

Their final 2 full-lengths feature a more raw female vocalist, who is not particularly angelic, but fits the abrasive atmosphere of the music quite well.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
09.06.2008 - 10:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jason W. on 09.06.2008 at 10:17

Written by Bad English on 09.06.2008 at 09:59

Yes, K7, they did I didn't list it because their music is a bit harder to get into and more difficult to find online.

But yes, they had more than one female vocalist - a more lighter style that seems more appreciated - Keltziva - can be found on "Autumn Leaves - The Rebellion Of Tides". This is the first Cd I'd recommend of them. The mix is a bit muddy, but it adds a certain appeal over multiple listens. They are more melodic black metal than anything gothic or symphonic - so it's a different listen than other contempories like Tristania or Theatre Of Tragedy in the late '90s.

Their final 2 full-lengths feature a more raw female vocalist, who is not particularly angelic, but fits the abrasive atmosphere of the music quite well.

I never hear them, but I had read reviews of band, and firts 2 albums was soem kind melo bm, leither thay changed , but I never heard album

I didnt post here because o complicated say what is best female vocalist I had heard a lot of and its hard and belive there to many good and better how Angela, Cristiana and Vibeke
----

apos;'
[image]
09.06.2008 - 17:43
Herzebeth
Written by Jason W. on 09.06.2008 at 09:54

I didn't know you had made the jump to the female fronted scene, Herz! And regarding Trail Of Tears, yes, they have more male vocals than female vocals, but they have also switched female vocalists a few times, so the sounds are quite different depending on the release. While the Cds with Helena ("Profoundemonium", "Disclosure In Red") are what got me into the band, my all time favorite vocalist with the band is Catherine on the "A New Dimension Of Might" - who is now back in the band doing live shows. She only does about one-third of the vocals, but her performance a few minutes into the opener "Ecstatic" has mesmerized me since 2002!!

And that's awesome you enjoyed Autumn! "My New Time" is my top cd of 2007 without a question; the lyrics, mix, musicianmanship, all are superior! Their new singer can be heard on Ayreon's latest CD(s), and her other various projects on her myspace page - and she'll be able to perform the older works just fine I believe

Unless I missed it in an above post, check out The Sins Of Thy Beloved. Another Norwegian gothic metal band, and Anita's vocals are not operatic, but they are certainly angelic. I still listen to "Perpetual Desolation" quite regularly.

If you enjoy Leaves' Eyes so much, you may like Xandria a lot too. They lean more towards gothic ideas or Middle Eastern melodies instead of the Viking ideas like Leaves Eyes, but I'd still put them in the same area for metal.

Just out of your own curiosity, Midnattsol is the band of Liv Kristine's (of Leaves Eyes) sister. She has a different style of singing, more monotone and deeper, but I personally enjoy it equally as much.

Flowing Tears is another band with a slightly deeper style of female vocals, that I'd recommend because you enjoy the vocals of Autumn. It's a different style of music, however, but one of my favorite bands as well. Some of their older stuff captures a great gothic ambiance - "Jade" is somber in so many ways! From 2004 and on they have a different female vocalist - equally as good and the band has headed toward a slightly heavier sound, but still with 98% female vocals.

I can definitely list some more, but sometimes listing too many at once is hard to take in

Great to see you here, though!

What a fucking Great Post....seriously...

Xandiria is incredibly perfect for what I was looking for

The Sins Of Thy Beloved is a great band too, so thanks again

Now, Operatic Vocals are moving my pants right now, that Xandiria myspace made me happy, do you know any other band with operatic vocals
----
09.06.2008 - 18:18
OneWithMisery
Quote:
Now, Operatic Vocals are moving my pants right now, that Xandiria myspace made me happy, do you know any other band with operatic vocals

Try Aesma Daeva. Powerful stuff, great vocals.
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
09.06.2008 - 23:19
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Quote:
Written by OneWithMisery on 09.06.2008 at 18:18

Yes, definitely check them out if you want operatic vocals! Their "Dawn of the New Athens" CD really focuses on technique.

I really enjoy an English band, Adastreia. Particularly the song called "The Reach" is a great one - and it's unfortunate the band remains unsigned - they are more promising than most bands I know. Great operatic vocals!

A few other bands I didn't mention would be:Elis, which is more in the vein of the Xandria or Leaves Eyes bands. Their first 3 CDs had Sabine (r.i.p.) on vocals, and features an offbeat, often strange mix that really appeals to some (like myself) or turns off others. Try the track "Der Letzte Tag" on their myspace. They now have Sandra on vocals, who once was in the now defunct band Dreams Of Sanity. Actually, if you are fan of anything related to the Phantom of the Opera, you may enjoy the Dreams Of Sanity work as well.

Edenbridge features some beautiful vocals from Sabine Edelsbacher. The music is quite progressive and symphonic at the same time. Their are slight similarities with Nightwish in terms of guitar riffs, but Edenbridge has a sound all their own and is certainly not similar. Lots of fantasy ambiances.
----
09.06.2008 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Jason W. on 09.06.2008 at 23:19

Written by OneWithMisery on 09.06.2008 at 18:18

Yes, definitely check them out if you want operatic vocals! Their "Dawn of the New Athens" CD really focuses on technique.

Try hellenic band The Rain I Bleed whit beautifull Mina Giannopoulou vocals, its awsome band based in Pireaus
----

apos;'
[image]
10.06.2008 - 00:45
Elodie Artour
Slania
I personally think that these ones deserve to be called 'the best female voices in metal':

Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)
Simone Simons (Epica)
Sarah Jezebel Deva (Cradle Of Filth, Angtoria)
Myth (Luca Turilli's Dreamquest)
Tarja Turunen (ex-Nightwish)

And the first place goes to...

Floor Jansen (After Forever) !

Sharon den Adel has a very wide range of voice and she sings amazing!There are people who claim she doesn't sing well (or even-that she can't sing at all ) ,which is of course, a huge mistake because she sings perfectly and she also has a very well-trained voice. Sharon's voice is adorable!

Simone Simons is a quite new singer on the metal scene and she's also quite young but this girl has a wonderful voice!She is a good singer and also-performs every single song with so much power and/or emotion in it... It is simply an amazing feeling to listen to her lovely voice.

Sarah Jezebel Deva is another female vocal, who I totally admire.She sings awesome!Almost every song I've heard her performing, is a good one.Her voice is incredible-she doesn't just sound good.She is surely one of the best female singers within metal!Such a beautiful voice that (perhaps) is able to sing almost everything...

Luca Turilli's female singer (Myth) deserves to be counted in because she's got such a powerful and professional voice, which sounds both mystic and veeery very good.I don't think there could be a person seriously saying that this woman can't sing.However, I'm sure there are such ones, too.It's always like that...

Tarja Turunen-I don't know, whether there is still so much to say about her, or not but I find her very beautiful and also-an awesome singer!Gosh, how she performs some songs, as for example "The Phantom Of The Opera", "Passion And The Opera", "Dead Boy's Poem", "FantasMic", etc. I even think that, giving these examples is a better choice, than explaining how much I love Tarja but still...I can't let people suggest what I think of her just by these examples.So, therefore, I'd like to explain some things...

I don't think Tarja is a better vocalist than Floor Jansen of After Foerver.And still-Tarja is one of the very best female singers in metal!I don't even believe that (if it comes to voice) there's a force that cannot be
reached by Tarja or Floor.They're both very powerful singers.

And as for Floor herself-there are no more words left to say!I am afraid that,no matter what I say about her, it won't be enough. She's The Best!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
10.06.2008 - 01:23
Graveheart
A very obvious choice, but I hadn't seen her mentioned here yet: Fabienne Gondamin on the Sirenia debut album at Sixes and Sevens. There is so much beauty, emotion, sexiness and seduction in her voice, just try any song on that album and get ready to be impressed. It's sad she was only a session vocalist in the band at the time and I haven't heard her anywhere else. Does anyone here know if she is or was in a band or recorded other music besides Sirenia? No matter if it's metal or not.

Also I found a great song on Youtube by a band called Elegeion. They're basically a death doom band, but the song called Scars is something different. The music is far from metal but I really like the vocals. http://youtube.com/watch?v=CfyAe8bMQJg
10.06.2008 - 05:00
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Luca Turilli's female singer Rannveig is pretty talented. find her song called "Rannveig's Lullaby" on prophet of the last eclipse. its a bonus track so it might need to be acquired by downloaded means and is sung in native Icelandic. its beautiful.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
11.06.2008 - 21:45
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
Written by albatros on 08.06.2008 at 21:52

Excellent suggestions, although your geography was a bit dizzy, if I may say so. One band being from Ukraine, the other from Moldavia I listened a bit to all of them and found them to be original and enjoyable. In the long run Angelzoom is probably not my thing, but her voice is good. Offertorium however were quite impressive to me and Fleur are really nice. I think I'd enjoy to see both bands live.

I'm sorry about the geographical mistake... I'm ashamed (Yes, I do know where the eastern european countries are and even know their capital city, I swear ). I'm glad that you liked them.

I don't agree that much with the advice which was given to you, to listen to Xandria if you like Liv Kristine... I do personnally find Xandria very artificial and lacking real originality or power. But I thought of another band that you might like, it's Tristeza. Have you ever heard of them ?
12.06.2008 - 00:37
albatros
Written by Guest on 11.06.2008 at 21:45

I'm sorry about the geographical mistake... I'm ashamed (Yes, I do know where the eastern european countries are and even know their capital city, I swear ). I'm glad that you liked them.

I don't agree that much with the advice which was given to you, to listen to Xandria if you like Liv Kristine... I do personnally find Xandria very artificial and lacking real originality or power. But I thought of another band that you might like, it's Tristeza. Have you ever heard of them ?

I suppose maybe you're confusing me with Herzebeth. He started this and HE seems to like Xandria and Liv Kristine. I'm just a parasite to this thread
I've seen Xandria play a while ago and own some of their CDs. They are a decent band but never were really to my taste. Their singer went away anyhow recently.

I respect Liv Kristine for her early work with Theatre of Tragedy and agree that she has a great voice. However what she is doing now is not of interest for me either. I saw her together with Delain last November and she's still quite a personality on stage.
Now I'll go and find out about Tristeza.
13.06.2008 - 15:11
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
If you're willing to try everything then try this portuguese one: Hyubris

Most of their songs are in portuguese but she has an angelic voice with a very sweet tone and style(in your own words, lol) perhaps you'll like it.
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
13.06.2008 - 20:57
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
Written by albatros on 12.06.2008 at 00:37

Written by Guest on 11.06.2008 at 21:45

I suppose maybe you're confusing me with Herzebeth. He started this and HE seems to like Xandria and Liv Kristine. I'm just a parasite to this thread

Ok... I blamed myself twice in a row I guess I should simply stop posting on this thread, it is cursed

What did you think of Tristeza ?
14.06.2008 - 00:27
albatros
Written by Guest on 13.06.2008 at 20:57

Ok... I blamed myself twice in a row I guess I should simply stop posting on this thread, it is cursed

What did you think of Tristeza ?

Uhm, did I get the right band ? The prog rockers ? I found them decent enough. I listened to them while preparing my modest dinner tonight. However they might be a bit off topic, as they only have a female guitar player.

Then I listened a bit more to Offertorium. Very much to my liking.. So, I don't think this thread is cursed. It's just full of surprises.
14.06.2008 - 00:34
Dagorwen
Written by albatros on 08.06.2008 at 21:52

But Moldavia is Besarabia and belongs to Romania (or should), so she is just half wrong ^^

(you may call me a troll, you'll be right )
14.06.2008 - 15:23
Evican
Ann O'War
My top three would be:

Floor Jansen
Simone Simons
Tarja Turunen

I don't know in which order though, possibly a three-way tie.

You might want to check out some Therion, Lori Lewis (Now Aesma Daeva), Martina Astner and Sarah Jezebel Deva have great voices.

There's also Australia's Antonamasia. Cassie isn't operatic, but just another female voice to add to the collection.
14.06.2008 - 21:15
Ernis
狼獾
Erm....she's not exactly a metal vocalist yet but she's got good chances for becoming one...
the 16-year-old Jana Kask, winner of the Estonian Pop Idol competition....her version of Lacuna Coil's "Swamped" was surprisingly awesome....plus her vocal abilities are so high that she's capable of turning even the most pointless pop songs into something enjoyable....
16.06.2008 - 18:31
albatros
Imperia (link) have been added to the MS band database. Helena Iren Michaelsen (ex Trail Of Tears - see above) again, this time with her own band. Great singer and probably worth a mention here. However I'm not too much a fan of their material so far. Nevertheless I'd be glad to see them live one day. Might be something for the starter of this thread.
16.06.2008 - 22:30
Gordon Freeman
Written by Evican on 14.06.2008 at 15:23

My top three would be:

Floor Jansen
Simone Simons
Tarja Turunen

possibly a three-way

----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking