Metal Storm logo
The Best Female Voices In Metal!

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 03.06.2008 - 18:37
Well Lately I've been looking for some bands with awesome and beautiful female vocals I've been dealing with bands like Epica, Within Temptation, diablo Swing Orchestra, After Forever and (my favorite) Leave's Eyes...

So, I'm looking for voices lined towards Sara Brightman you know? angelic voices with a very sweet tone and style....please don't recommend stuff lined towards Diamanda Galas or that shemale Angela Gossow

STILL!!! If you have something alternative...(not metal)...stuff like The Sundays, Veruca Salt, The Birthday Massacre or whatever you want please recommend, I'm willing to try everything with a sweet melodious voice.

THANKS!

oh...and (to give something to this topic) I recommend all the bands I posted lol.
14.07.2008 - 10:41
albatros

Written by mortjoyeux on 12.07.2008 at 04:23

Leather Wych (Marta Gabriel) from crystal viper is hands down my favorite female vocalist in metal.
She's solid as fuck and gives more to the heavy metal music the band plays. Pure win

I'm just listening to their myspace. Nice suggestion, indeed. A pity that this band doesn't seem to be touring a lot. I think it would be fun to see them play. The music seems to be a bit in the vein of Doro Pesch.
16.07.2008 - 00:31
mortjoyeux

Written by albatros on 14.07.2008 at 10:41

Leather Wych (Marta Gabriel) from crystal viper is hands down my favorite female vocalist in metal.
She's solid as fuck and gives more to the heavy metal music the band plays. Pure win

I'm just listening to their myspace. Nice suggestion, indeed. A pity that this band doesn't seem to be touring a lot. I think it would be fun to see them play. The music seems to be a bit in the vein of Doro Pesch.

Yeah I can see how the band and doro have some similarities. It's nice to see some decent metal with female members.
16.07.2008 - 01:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

OMG in Canada you know Marta Gabriel? awsome, I agree whit you all what you sad, she had awsome voice in hm, Modern day Doro
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.07.2008 - 23:15
mortjoyeux

Written by Bad English on 16.07.2008 at 01:23

OMG in Canada you know Marta Gabriel? awsome, I agree whit you all what you sad, she had awsome voice in hm, Modern day Doro

Haha yeah word to that. The band's gaining more fans here!
18.07.2008 - 03:07
JackMetal
Account deleted
I have to go with Angela from Arch Enemy. She is a genuine badass. You got your wannabes like Otep and the chick from In This Moment...but they'll never be as good as Angela. She takes ALL the cake.
18.07.2008 - 17:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.07.2008 at 03:07

I have to go with Angela from Arch Enemy. She is a genuine badass. You got your wannabes like Otep and the chick from In This Moment...but they'll never be as good as Angela. She takes ALL the cake.

*sigh* *cry* and here we have another winner who did NOT read the first post.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2008 - 19:33
Gordon Freeman

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.07.2008 at 17:35

Written by Guest on 18.07.2008 at 03:07

*sigh* *cry* and here we have another winner who did NOT read the first post.

And the worst thing is that she's not even that good of an extreme vocalist. Even for a woman...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
18.07.2008 - 21:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mortjoyeux on 16.07.2008 at 23:15

Written by Bad English on 16.07.2008 at 01:23

Haha yeah word to that. The band's gaining more fans here!

Usualy such bands arent popular from home country and naibour lands, but that band KICK ASS
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.08.2008 - 01:30
AGud
Account deleted
Simone Simons, Epica! She's great!
22.08.2008 - 20:38
Ragana
Rawrcat
Liv Kristine, although in live.. hmm, well it does not count in, right?
22.08.2008 - 22:23
Janne
Hugin
Laura Binder, form Dalriada!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 14:35
Opethienne
Account deleted
Tarja from Nightwish !!! hey guys a question do you prefere a new female vocal? and i like therion vocal and cruachan too!
23.08.2008 - 16:40
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 23.08.2008 at 14:35

Tarja from Nightwish !!! hey guys a question do you prefere a new female vocal? and i like therion vocal and cruachan too!

what is 'a new female vocal'?
and yep, Tarja is good!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 17:04
Opethienne
Account deleted
Janne, nightwish was announce new female singer, the 35-year-old Alyson Avenue lead singer "Anette Olzon" from Katrineholm, Sweden to replace Turunen...So!
23.08.2008 - 17:16
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 23.08.2008 at 17:04

Janne, nightwish was announce new female singer, the 35-year-old Alyson Avenue lead singer "Anette Olzon" from Katrineholm, Sweden to replace Turunen...So!

oh, I see. that thing between Anette and Tarja has already discussed in the Nightwish topic!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 17:18
Opethienne
Account deleted
Ah ok Dunno was a topic created for that! Thanks for the info !
03.11.2008 - 03:16
Land Of Doom

Oh Yes I Expect Tarja from Nightwish is the best
she have very good voice
and maybe floor jansen drom after forever
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
12.11.2008 - 23:23
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Janne on 22.08.2008 at 22:23

Well, in my opinion, it's not that Laura Binder is a good vocalist as far as technique and register are concerned, but rather that her contralto voice suits Dalriada best. Anyway, my favourite female Melodic Metal singers, as the first post suggests, are Tarja Turunen (whom Herzebeth probably has heard of ) and Sabine Edelsbacher from Edenbridge. In fact, these Austrians, who play bombastic Symphonic Power Metal, have released a wonderful album this year, MyEarthDream, which I'll be voting for sure in the following MS Awards. Both Tarja and Sabine master voice modulation, have tender, communicative voices, and own a very broad register. Maybe the fact that both are mezzosopranos is relevant to my musical preferences.

By the way, how come our sweet Herz is not looking for the MOST BR00TAL GRIMCORPSEFCUKING GOREGRIND ON EARTH?
12.11.2008 - 23:30
Janne
Hugin
Written by Taktsekte on 12.11.2008 at 23:23

Written by Janne on 22.08.2008 at 22:23

Well, in my opinion, it's not that Laura Binder is a good vocalist as far as technique and register are concerned, but rather that her contralto voice suits Dalriada best. Anyway, my favourite female Melodic Metal singers, as the first post suggests, are Tarja Turunen (whom Herzebeth probably has heard of ) and Sabine Edelsbacher from Edenbridge. In fact, these Austrians, who play bombastic Symphonic Power Metal, have released a wonderful album this year, MyEarthDream, which I'll be voting for sure in the following MS Awards. Both Tarja and Sabine master voice modulation, have tender, communicative voices, and own a very broad register. Maybe the fact that both are mezzosopranos is relevant to my musical preferences.

By the way, how come our sweet Herz is not looking for the MOST BR00TAL GRIMCORPSEFCUKING GOREGRIND ON EARTH?

Maybe I'm the only one who loves her voice here... but I won't change my mind! I honestly think she's a great voice! btw our two favourite vocalists are the same!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.11.2008 - 23:37
Charly546

Danielle Draconis, from Original Sin. Not very many high notes, but her voice is very well suited for heavy metal.

Her excellent voice + blazing speed metal(in the power of 11) = awesomeness
13.11.2008 - 11:55
Tinsoldier

There are no good female voices in metal. Except maybe for DM of The Missing, but that band is so terribly unknown.. shame. She's got such a nice, aggressive, raspy low voice.

Maybe Sabine Edelsbacher, Liv Kristine and Tarja Turunen are worth mentioning although Sabine's band sucks, Liv Kristine's electropop ToT and her soloproject are more appealing to me and I also prefer Tarja's solo project over Nightwish.

Maybe I'm not into female voices in metal music..
Other frequent all-known female singers like Simone Simons, Sharon Den Adel, all the Anette Olzons and Floor Jansens.... they're good, but horribly boring.
14.11.2008 - 22:44
DanielViking

Doro Pesch
Liv Kristine (Leaves Eyes)
Cristina Sccabia (Lacuna Coil)
Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)
Tarja Tururen (ex Nightwish)
Lita Ford
01.12.2008 - 07:46
Lehctim

Fernanda Gollo De Mesquita from Ashtar hands down.
05.12.2008 - 19:48
PM
Hail Lusitânia
Well, my instantly choice is Tarja Turunen (ex Nightwish)...

But i also like bands like Diablo Swing Orchestra, Imperia, Haggard's got one fantastic song called 'Herr Mannelig', as well as other nice songs with female voice...

Hey, if you want a voice like no other in the world of metal, try the portuguese band Hyubris, you will be surprised...
Listen to the song 'Mulher do Rio' by that band, and tell me if you didn't feel a chill on your spine... hehe

CHEERS
PM
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
06.12.2008 - 05:10
WagonOfFilth

Www.myspace.com/iwrestledabearonce

I Wrestled A Bear Once. I don't really know what to think of thses guys. They're breakdowns are okay, nothing special. The chick has a pretty decent voice I thought though. Other then that I wouldn't spend too much of your time listening to them.
----
Your trust is in Whiskey, and Weed, and Slayer. It's goddamn electric!
13.12.2008 - 21:07
john_mcc

My favourite female vocalist in metal is Jonna Enckell from The Project Hate MCMXCIX (especially on the last 2 albums). She also has a solo project which is very, very different and not at all Metal, but which is amazingly good for when you want something lighter.

Most of my other top picks are now departed from their bands, the Female fronted Metal scene has seen alot of activity re singers leaving their bands. All of the following would get a place in my Top Female Singers in Metal list - Anneke (ex-The Gathering); Marcela Bovio (ex-Elfonia; ex-Stream Of Passion); Nienke (ex-Autumn); Lisa (ex-Xandria - I was never too keen on this band's music but her vocals were great); Kari Rueslatten (ex-The Third And The Mortal - although I do like some of her non-Metal solo stuff alot as well, you just can't fail with a voice like that); Melissa (ex-Aesma Daeva; ex-Visions Of Atlantis); Johanna (ex-Amaran); Lex (ex-Adastreia); Vibeke (ex-Tristania); Tarja (ex-Nightwish, and no her solo stuff without Tuomas's songwriting skills is not as good).

Then there are some other very good singers who are still with their band but who are still missing in action nevertheless; Floor Jansen who is still with After Forever even if the band is having a break at the moment, hopefully they will be back in action soon; Paula from Delight was a great singer, but the band then signed to Roadrunner, went all Nu-Metal and haven't been heard of in ages, I definitely recommend the Delight DVD "Last Tale Of Eternity" as one of the greatest female vocals in Metal experiences ever; Maja from Moonlight was another exceptional singer, presumably still is, but the band have now swapped Metal and Rock for bland bleepy-bleep-bleep electronica for some bizarre reason, they might still be going but I neither know nor care anymore, check out their early stuff instead.

For singers who are still with their bands, I would choose the Diablo Swing Orchestra singer as probably the best operatic female singer in metal that I have heard (including Tarja); Sfinx from Ram-zet is a very good singer although she doesn't do the lead vocals in her band, same with the Deadlock female singer; I am a big fan of Madder Mortem - Agnete can be sweet and angelic but the OP may not like the Diamanda Galas moments that she also indulges in; I also think that the The Virus IV/Beautiful Sin singer is also very good although again she may be a bit too gritty for the OP (but still far removed from Angela Gossow territory). Flowing Tears released the best Female fronted Metal album this year, so check them out as well.
14.12.2008 - 02:42
I, The Quatropus

I really found out about To-Mera not too long ago and I found Julie Kiss to have such a relaxing voice.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
15.12.2008 - 08:49
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by I, The Quatropus on 14.12.2008 at 02:42

I really found out about To-Mera not too long ago and I found Julie Kiss to have such a relaxing voice.

Oh hey glad to find another fan of Julie's vocals! I consider her one of my favorite vocalists in all metal If you have any thoughts about the band or more about her singing, feel free to add some to the To-Mera topic I started awhile back that unfortunately hasn't got much attention here...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.08.2009 - 10:18
Lachy
Account deleted
Anette Olzon is my favorite! Tarja is good but she sings in the same key all the time (not saying thats a bad thing if thats what you like)! Also I would like to give a mention to Amy Lee (even though metal fans will never respect the great music that she has created) she would top any "metal vocalist"! Just my opinion.
03.08.2009 - 11:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I don't know her name, as a matter of fact their isn't much info on this band period, but I like the singer from EchoSilence and their only EP "Distorded Horizon"
----
rekt