Metal Storm logo
The Best Female Voices In Metal!

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 03.06.2008 - 18:37
Well Lately I've been looking for some bands with awesome and beautiful female vocals I've been dealing with bands like Epica, Within Temptation, diablo Swing Orchestra, After Forever and (my favorite) Leave's Eyes...

So, I'm looking for voices lined towards Sara Brightman you know? angelic voices with a very sweet tone and style....please don't recommend stuff lined towards Diamanda Galas or that shemale Angela Gossow

STILL!!! If you have something alternative...(not metal)...stuff like The Sundays, Veruca Salt, The Birthday Massacre or whatever you want please recommend, I'm willing to try everything with a sweet melodious voice.

THANKS!

oh...and (to give something to this topic) I recommend all the bands I posted lol.
03.08.2009 - 12:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
To me, the most beautiful voice is Liv Kristine's voice. (Leave's Eyes) Some people already mentioned her.

She really stands out. As for the best voice... I really don't know.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.08.2009 - 12:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 03.08.2009 at 12:35

To me, the most beautiful voice is Liv Kristine's voice. (Leave's Eyes) Some people already mentioned her.

hmm good idea if w etalk about voice, yes she has beautifull voice, but she sing in suchy bands neve rlikes anything how ToT firts 2 albums
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.08.2009 - 12:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Tarja Turunen and Floor Jansen winning it by me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

03.08.2009 - 13:00
Smurfophagist

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTe1d1gzs5k&feature=related
I don't know who this chick is....but I like her voice.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
03.08.2009 - 14:03
Ivor
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.08.2009 at 11:48

I don't know her name, as a matter of fact their isn't much info on this band period, but I like the singer from EchoSilence and their only EP "Distorded Horizon"

Her name is Kadri Ratt.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
04.08.2009 - 12:46
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Talking about growls i really like Cadaveria's.. For operatic Tarja and Vibeke of Tristania. For clean.. hmm.. Maybe that sweet and innocent voice of The Sins Of Thy Beloved singer Anita Auglend
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
04.08.2009 - 14:32
Abattoir

Choosing from all the clean/beautiful voices I'd say that Manda Ophuis (Nemesea) is in first place here...it goes so sweet and perfect into the ears. There are also lots of other nice and beautiful voices, but its difficult to choose the only one.

Out of growls I am not able to choose one, while I don't know much of them...
05.08.2009 - 01:26
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I think most recent stuff with femme vox that blew me away was Trail Of Tear's new album Bloodstained Endurance. Cathrine Paulsen returned to the band and on this album she sings quite differently than on A New Dimension Of Mifgt, where she was using msotly (semi)operatic vocals. On BE she really outdone herself, proved that she has excellent, very powerful voice with a very distinct colour. I was amazed and I find her singing now way better than Helena Iren Michaelsen did in the beginning and as Cathrine herself did on ANDOM.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
05.08.2009 - 02:04
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by AnGina-- on 05.08.2009 at 01:26

I think most recent stuff with femme vox that blew me away was Trail Of Tear's new album Bloodstained Endurance. Cathrine Paulsen returned to the band and on this album she sings quite differently than on A New Dimension Of Mifgt, where she was using msotly (semi)operatic vocals. On BE she really outdone herself, proved that she has excellent, very powerful voice with a very distinct colour. I was amazed and I find her singing now way better than Helena Iren Michaelsen did in the beginning and as Cathrine herself did on ANDOM.

That's how perception can differ. Anticipating this album from the second they announced the return of Cathrine I was immensely disappointed when I finally listened to it. Especially the last song is so ridiculous that it really hurts the old fan. I take it they are trying to establish a new fanbase in the J-Rock scene but that is no reason to waste such talent on singing like my mom could do better. To me it sounded like she wasn't even trying. Apart from a few songs that do feel a little like the old Trail Of Tears.

I'm all about Vibeke here btw.
----
11.08.2009 - 12:44
chrisjoel

Ever since i heard early stuff from the The Project Hate i v LOVEd Mia Stahl. but since she no longer sings.Grrrr! ... they found Somene else and that someone else is non other than Jo Enckell . and holy fucking shit batman! Breathtaking vocals. Breathtaking everything...

... her voice is HAUNTINGLY beatiful. I have heard everyone mentioned on these pages and of course almost all are amazing (holy shit Flor Jansen)...but my fav..something about Jonna Enckells voice ..for example on her solo project she really displays her vocals quit well...eg see : "purple heart" here:

www.myspace.com/sirenon

and her hauntngly gorgeous voice just stays with you ..her voice inflections are so smooth and beautiful..they just effect me differently .anyways this is just personal ..but .....see for example her timing on the song Weep.....

There can obviously be endless amounts of names added here but some unmentioned that stand out for me are
Richie blackmores wife candice ...check out Diamonds and Rust is beautiful...the Wilson sisters from Heart are very mucho talented....
and a Non Metal mention ahem sorry but her talent is pretty amazing is Loreena Mckennit...she sings some good shit..sort of...lol..and Anja Hötzendorfer ....
05.09.2009 - 23:36
Ashavari

Floor Jansen, hands down! She is a FANTASTIC vocalist with her four octave range and the ability to sing both metal and opera.

Anneke van Giersbergen from Agua de Annique and ex-The Gathering is also amazing.
I really enjoy listening to Anneke. She puts so much passion into her music and it really comes across. Her voice is beautiful and very unique.

I'd also recommend Marcela from Stream of Passion. Check out that band, they have a very cool sound and her voice is lovely too!

After Forever, The Gathering and Stream of Passion have a more progressive-symphonic metal sound which I really enjoy. Agua de Annique on the other hand, is an acoustic project that Anneke started up recently. Check it out! It's worth a listen
----
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil
17.11.2009 - 13:49
JD
Account deleted
I think Cadaveria it's perfect , anyway i can't choose a Gothic female vocals becouse i hate Gothic metal but i always loved Lacuna Coil's vocalist
18.11.2009 - 02:54
cold103

Ann-Mari Edvardsen from the band The 3rd and the Mortal is fantastic!

Also, there are a lot of great female singers in the band Ayreon.
18.11.2009 - 13:21
Kei

First, this thread is awesome. I found this forum, because of this thread. So many good bands and singers that you've listed so far.

I'm liking The Gathering's most recent singer, Silje Wergeland, who was in Octavia Sperati (also worth looking at) before joining them.

The lead singer of Closterkeller might also be worth checking out to you, Anja Orthodox. Not the sweetest, but still nice.

Non Metal:

Singer - Song(s)

Imogen Heap - Closing In

Vienna Teng - Between

Jennifer Mclaren - Providence (Frontline Assembly)

Lisbeth Scott - Listen (Paul Schwartz, State of Grace)

Elizabeth Sakura Narita (Lisa) - Requiem Inori (her work with M-Flo is a bit too pop-ish to show her talent)

Elizabeth Fraser- Kala (Yann Tiersen)

Hayley Westenra - Prayer (or any)

I'll add more as I go through my collection

I just checked out Jonna Enckel, holy mother of god, thank you so much chrisjoel!
----
Author of Femme Metale on Metal Chicks.
Follow me on Metal Chicks: http://metalchicks.ca/Keinans_Blog/
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/?ref=logo
Twitter: @KeinanLynx
20.11.2009 - 11:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

Their is this Minnesota based progmetal band called Majestic ( http://www.myspace.com/majesticsongs ) who have awesome female vox. Her name is Jessica Rasche.
----
rekt
20.11.2009 - 13:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.11.2009 at 11:53

Their is this Minnesota based progmetal band called Majestic ( http://www.myspace.com/majesticsongs ) who have awesome female vox. Her name is Jessica Rasche.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check it out.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.11.2009 - 21:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Right now the best one is easily Yoshiko Ohara from Bloody Panda.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.11.2009 - 00:12
Damned-In-Black

Written by AnGina-- on 05.08.2009 at 01:26

This is also the most impressive I've heard recently. That and the performance on Wolves In The Throne Room's track, A Looming Resonance, which I find it hard to get enough of.
02.12.2009 - 20:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hm...apart from "operatic" voices, i think Masha from Arkona is destroying anything else in my ears
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.12.2009 - 18:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Cristina Scabbia is alright
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.12.2009 - 23:05
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
For a good fuck, yes. Otherwise, meh.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
05.12.2009 - 15:31
Costa

Tarja Turunen & Floor Jansen followed by
Lana Lane, Cristina Scabbia, Magali Luyten, Simone Simons, ...

And I am curious to listen more from "Myst" and Irene Jansen
22.02.2010 - 23:32
Hutch

My favorite female vocalists are:
- Telya Melane (Whyzdom): strong, powerful, moving, sensitive and generous voice, all you can expect from a great and true artist, in the best sense of this word... She has a real talent, on album and on stage.
- Cathrine Paulsen (Trail of Tears): she goes from a clear voice to a lyrical one and don't forget a more medium register... She's very impressive and brings all the emotional register in Trail of Tears.
- Tarja Turunen (ex Nightwish, Tarja): grand voice in Nightwish, grand voice alone... Just need more substance in her solo project music and lyrics.
- Floor Jansen (ex After Forever, Revamp): rock or lyrical, a grand metal lady
- Simone Simons (Epica): she has a very beautiful and sensitive on album... It's more nuanced in live and she should stay simple (she tends to show herself as a diva and she's not one). Nevertheless, she has a strong vocal talent.
----
Film Music Man
23.02.2010 - 23:03
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I'm going to have to go with Anneke van Giersbergen.
25.02.2010 - 00:15
regallmigthy

Nightwish, hands down
25.02.2010 - 01:11
JÄY
Metal slave
Leather is the greatest female metal singer of all time
25.02.2010 - 13:45
Lord_Regnier

I don't like female vocalists in metal. They simply don't fit most of the time. They make the songs sounding weak and pop-ish. Another example of how metal often gets commercial and mainstream nowadays: putting a chick in the forefront as eye-candy.

Not all female vocalists in metal are bad, but female vocals over metal music is something I find utterly boring.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
25.02.2010 - 15:23
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.02.2010 at 13:45

I don't like female vocalists in metal. They simply don't fit most of the time. They make the songs sounding weak and pop-ish. Another example of how metal often gets commercial and mainstream nowadays: putting a chick in the forefront as eye-candy.

Not all female vocalists in metal are bad, but female vocals over metal music is something I find utterly boring.

Check this out
Not saying they are amazing (or bad either), but I really can't tell the vocalist is female until I looked at the band pic properly
----
loves 小巫
06.03.2010 - 04:19
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Not to sound sexist or anything, but for me I just simply don't like too many female vocalists. They all sounds pretty generic and boring. Most of them just sound like typical pop-singers or "OMG THIS CHICK CAN DEATH GROWL ISN'T THAT COOL LOL". The first singer for Nightwish is pretty good though, second one is boring, the female vocalist for Lacuna Coil CAN sound interesting at times but for the most part, boring.

But hey, if there is a good female vocalist, bring 'em on! Actually I heard their is this one woman who fronts a thrash metal band and she manages to sound very aggressive and original, but I forgot the band name before I had a chance to check them out...
07.03.2010 - 05:36
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Norm on 06.03.2010 at 05:52

^ Listen to the russian band MERLIN

Chick is more brutal than many males that try to sing like that.

I'm checking them out. She does have a pretty brutal voice, but its nothing too special IMO, other than the fact that it's a woman doing those growls.

What I'd like to hear is an aggressive and characteristic female vocalist that does clean vocals, because 99% of the time clean vocals done by a woman sound pop-ish.