Metal Storm logo
Best Clean/ Slowish Opeth Song

Original post

Posted by Metal_Militia, 05.06.2008 - 06:40
//In your opinion, what do you think the best clean/ slow opeth song? There are many gems to chose from and i obviously couldnt fit them all onto one list. I just tried to make it diverse and take at least of off every album in which there was one. I live Mikes clean voice a lot so i decided to ask you guys which slow song you liked the most. For me, the best one is To Bid You Farewell. I think its one of the most perfect songs ive heard. Great musicianship and i love the moving touch Mikael has on this song. It means a lot to me and you can just hear the emotion pour out of his voice...what do you guys think??//

Poll

What is the best clean/ slowish opeth song?

Harvest
To Bid You Farewell
Face Of Melinda
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
Benighted
Coil
Hours Of Wealth
To Rid The Disease

Total votes: 154
08.12.2009 - 00:32
Warlock84

Honestly the entire Damnation album. But my favorite from it is Weakness. Beside that I would say Face Of Melinda.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
14.12.2009 - 12:31
divortium

To Bid You Farewell ,no contest... It is simply the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...
23.04.2010 - 03:17
athena

Mikael uses is clean voice well. Of the slow ones I picked "In My Time of Need". There is something so haunting about it.
29.04.2010 - 15:31
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Benighted all the way so much feeling on that one
----
Stay Metal !!!
01.05.2010 - 13:40
Saitenhexerin

Aww they're all so good. I voted for Harvest though, because it has this awesome atmosphere, although it was a close race with To Bid You Farewell.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
01.05.2010 - 17:54
Don Martin
le fu-
Coil is sooo beautiful. Mikael's singing is already infamously great but then he got accompanied by that that chick whose name slipped away from me for a moment and that made Coil win this poll
----
What a tackastrophe!
07.11.2010 - 23:38
vangosh

I voted Face Of Melinda, but I love all the rest
I'll have to honour "To Rid the Disease" and "Benighted", omg i love ALL opeth stuff!
14.11.2010 - 22:46
Kratos

Out of the very few Opeth songs I can stand, I do like the song Burden alot, mostly due to the sweet keyboard solo and Mike's voice sounds very good on this one.
25.06.2011 - 11:37
mahesh

To rid the rid 4 me .......
tis song alwayz gves me goosebums
26.06.2011 - 11:01
Metal_4Ever

Man, where is Burden I think it most be there...
26.06.2011 - 14:01
JD
Account deleted
Harvest.
27.06.2011 - 16:55
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Harvest.
28.06.2011 - 08:29
Sammol

A Fair Judgement should be on the list. I voted for Windowpane
22.08.2011 - 00:39
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Damn. Harvest no 1? I think it's one of their worst ballads and worst songs overall, it's the only song on Blackwater Park that I occasionally skip. It's not a bad song, but it's nothing great either. I'd probably go with Face Of Melinda.
15.10.2011 - 01:32
king_matt

It's really hard to decide... if Weakness from Damnation was on this list I'd pick it in a heartbeat. That song is so spine-chilling.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
10.11.2011 - 00:07
Nirnaeth

Written by Metal_4Ever on 26.06.2011 at 11:01

Man, where is Burden I think it most be there...

I agree. Seriously, Burden must be there.
23.02.2012 - 18:15
Codera the Great
Account deleted
I love Hours of Wealth, it's breathtakingly gorgeous. The quiet jazzy keyboard section with Mikael singing and the guitar solo is positively to die for, always lifts my spirits.
25.02.2012 - 08:01
byng
Account deleted
I love "Coil" coz it makes me sad whenever I listen to it...lol
25.02.2012 - 21:25
Necrox

I've only heard Harvest and To Bid You Farewell, but I don't know if they'll ever top TBYF when it comes to slow/clean.
07.09.2012 - 08:47
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This one is extremely hard since I love all of these songs, however Hours of Wealth I remember hitting home pretty well. I recall being in a hotel room in New York City last year looking out the window, seeing the hustle and bustling of people and cars below, and I was listening to this song at the time. The beautifully jazzy song really set the mood for the scene I was watching below and the moment just felt so right for the song to be played. I didn't even tell myself to play the song at the time, it just happened naturally and spontaneously. It was picture - perfect.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.09.2012 - 12:12
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Of course Harvest would be at the top. Not surprising at all, since it's a great song and most people's favorite acoustic Opeth song.

Still, while I love every song on this list, I have a thing for Coil. Something special about it. I totally want that song played at my funeral, especially if I have an untimely death.

It's all about what happens when you shuffle off this mortal coil:
"When I get out of here, when I leave you behind, I'll find that the years passed us by...
And I can see you, running through the fields of sorrow..."
----
08.01.2014 - 21:36
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The lack of Burden on that list makes me nervous.
09.01.2014 - 03:03
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
In My Time of Need
26.09.2014 - 14:49
_deepblack

It think it the track Burden from watershed and i dont understand why it isnt on the list Burden is Opeth best track for me
28.09.2014 - 00:25
Jordan_Heliosaga

Windowpane has such great ambience especially when you're listening with headphones. I'm a drummer so I love the the intricacies and subtleties of the drumming coupled with the emotive guitar notes and vocals. This actually describes my feelings toward the entire Damnation album.
----
Like female-fronted power metal? Check out Heliosaga.
heliosaga.com
https://www.facebook.com/Heliosaga
Metal Storm review: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12934
22.10.2014 - 18:41
EntombedRainfall

Benighted gets my vote. It's a beautiful song that has grown more precious to me over time just as my appreciation for it has, likewise, increased. I will note, however, that I didn't consider songs from Damnation or the last two in this poll since those are basically "slow" and "clean" albums all together making it difficult to get any sense of contrast.
24.10.2014 - 09:25
Ganondox

Needs more Damnation, Windowpane isn't the only great song from the album.
14.11.2014 - 22:11
_deepblack

Or even Soldier Of Fortune cover is a great song
27.11.2014 - 03:50
JayMo4

I still think Credence is one of the best things they've ever done, but I'm weird like that.