Metal Storm logo
Cobalt

Original post

Posted by spirit_inblack, 08.06.2008 - 21:11
Just though I'd make a topic about this kick ass band. The only thing I've heard from them is the latest album, "Eater of Birds" and I must say, it is really awesome. I don't accurately know how to descibe the style of music that these guys play but perhaps their first album, titled "War Metal" could provide some explanation. I guess you could call them blackthrash/war metal.

Anyways, the band is made up of two members, Phil McSorley and Erik Wunder and have released two albums so far. The newest album, "Eater of Birds" features additional vocals by Jarboe and was released through the awesome Profound Lore Records. Overall, the album is a very ritualistic experience and it is also one of my favorite albums of 2007.

Very highly recommended band.
15.01.2010 - 14:01
Meep
Account deleted
Yep apparently that's pretty common with Cobalt CD's =P
15.01.2010 - 18:31
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Guest on 12.01.2010 at 20:40

Deafness still wouldn't be an excuse for choosing Behemoth over the vast majority of other releases this year. And did Converge really deserve the number 1 spot for the official list? Converge tend to be good but number 1 worthy? I doubt it somehow, not that I've heard it

Yeah, you haven't heard it so there ye go.

Did the new album get album of the year or did one of the other albums get album of the decade? I just ask because the new one isn't as good as the 3 albums before it. Those are all worthy of a place in the top twenty of the decade.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
15.01.2010 - 18:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by -tom- on 15.01.2010 at 18:31

Written by Guest on 12.01.2010 at 20:40

Deafness still wouldn't be an excuse for choosing Behemoth over the vast majority of other releases this year. And did Converge really deserve the number 1 spot for the official list? Converge tend to be good but number 1 worthy? I doubt it somehow, not that I've heard it

Yeah, you haven't heard it so there ye go.

Did the new album get album of the year or did one of the other albums get album of the decade? I just ask because the new one isn't as good as the 3 albums before it. Those are all worthy of a place in the top twenty of the decade.

New album is Terrorizer Staff's album of 2009.

"Jane Doe" is Decibel Mag's album of the decade.

Now back to Cobalt... love the insert pic of one fo the Coblaters shooting a typewriter in the snow. imagine that is a tribute to HUnter S. Thompson.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2010 - 18:53
Meep
Account deleted
The new one would have to top Jane Doe to beat Gin. Looks like I don't need to listen to it now.
15.04.2010 - 03:01
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
After listening to War Metal, Eater Of Birds, and Gin...

I like War Metal better. The break downs in Gin are a bit much. The vocals are great and most of the music sounds fucking fantastic, but the songs kinda blur together. War Metal was a bit faster and had a more definite direction. Maybe if there was use of some noise and/or sampling in the back ground... I would like it more.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
15.04.2010 - 18:25
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
If you like the War Metal album then get Hammerfight. War Metal was a bit weak in terms of production than the first CD.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
18.04.2010 - 15:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Talked to Erik for a bit last Saturday at Roadburn. He was there playing drums for Jarboe. The Jarboe merch girl was pissed off that I wanted a CObalt shirt and not a Jarboe one. Had to explain to her that really like Cobalt but not Jarboe at all
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2010 - 05:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.04.2010 at 15:45

Talked to Erik for a bit last Saturday at Roadburn. He was there playing drums for Jarboe. The Jarboe merch girl was pissed off that I wanted a CObalt shirt and not a Jarboe one. Had to explain to her that really like Cobalt but not Jarboe at all

lols. two entirely different animals that will appeal to different people. i'd have wanted a Coblat shirt as well...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.04.2010 - 06:03
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by BitterCOld on 19.04.2010 at 05:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.04.2010 at 15:45

lols. two entirely different animals that will appeal to different people. i'd have wanted a Coblat shirt as well...

Profound Lore has the second limited design out. They still have some left I think. I own the first one, the "nihilistic primitivism" and it's pretty much my favorite t-shirt.
19.04.2010 - 17:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 19.04.2010 at 06:03
Profound Lore has the second limited design out. They still have some left I think. I own the first one, the "nihilistic primitivism" and it's pretty much my favorite t-shirt.

I saw that, am pretty tempted.
19.04.2010 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 19.04.2010 at 17:17

Aha, I see that that's the one I bought at Roadburn. They actually had only borught one XL along. Probably figuring that almost no-one would buy it since Cobalt wasn't playing.
Btw it seems the shirt is sold out at Profound Lore.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2010 - 17:52
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
I gave Eater of Birds and Gin a few more listens. I don't like the break downs, they ruin it for me. The music is good, it has a good sound and a good flow, but with each breakdown I get bored and it does not give me the atmosphere or feeling that I really wanted from those two albums. I still enjoy the first album and EP. And I like the vocals, I think thats the only thing that kept me afloat with the last two albums.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
19.04.2010 - 21:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.04.2010 at 17:49

Written by Guest on 19.04.2010 at 17:17

Btw it seems the shirt is sold out at Profound Lore.

I managed to get one from there?
19.04.2010 - 22:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 19.04.2010 at 21:53

When I looked on the Profound Lore site earlier today all I came across was the insect T-shirt.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2010 - 23:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.04.2010 at 22:08

Written by Guest on 19.04.2010 at 21:53

When I looked on the Profound Lore site earlier today all I came across was the insect T-shirt.

Er yeah I think that's the one spirit_inblack was talking about (Pregnant Insect, the one I just bought, hella sexy), he was saying that Nihilistic Primitivism was his fave shirt, is that the one they were selling at Roadburn then?
20.04.2010 - 12:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 19.04.2010 at 23:21

Er yeah I think that's the one spirit_inblack was talking about (Pregnant Insect, the one I just bought, hella sexy), he was saying that Nihilistic Primitivism was his fave shirt, is that the one they were selling at Roadburn then?

Yeah they sold Nihilistic Primitivism at Roadburn. And now I am still wondering why I didn't get Eric to sign the shirt. I had a felt tip pen at that point cause I had just got Tom G Warrior to sign my Only Death Is Real book and all of Triptiykon to sign the Eparistera Daimones double vinyl.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.04.2010 - 03:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I briefly listened to War Metal while on walkabout earlier and I wasn't blown away. If I was heavily into the whole black/thrash thing I probably would have been but as it stands the newer style is much more my thang.
05.12.2010 - 17:53
The Turbanator
Jesus Christ this band is immense!!!!

I'm hearing Eater of Birds and Gin for two days running. Really brilliant.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
27.06.2011 - 07:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Weeee got Eater Of Birds this weekend and am loving it.
----

26.10.2011 - 19:30
Diabolo
... this track leaves my jaw on the floor :O

I am so buying this album!!

10.08.2013 - 12:34
mz
Gin is THE proof that black metal does not always need to have lo-fi production to be good. It is really immense.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.10.2013 - 19:28
SmokyPeat
McSorley has to come up with new work. Not generally a fan of black metal but he mixes it in with the right sound. Gin was amazing.
10.10.2013 - 20:36
SmokyPeat
This interview with Cobalt member Erik Wunder was posted on Sputnikmusic recently discussing Cobalt and to a larger extent his other project Man's Gin (folk, Americana). There is another Cobalt album in the works. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/blog/2013/08/31/erik-wunder-of-mans-gin-and-cobalt-interview/

Cool interview and I'm glad to have found this because I've never heard Man's Gin before. For those of you who like American folk you should really give this a try:

12.10.2013 - 20:45
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by SmokyPeat on 10.10.2013 at 19:28

McSorley has to come up with new work. Not generally a fan of black metal but he mixes it in with the right sound. Gin was amazing.

Already done a couple of weeks ago. Phil released a tape from his LLN-worshipping project, Recluse, which also includes Mike Meacham of Loss on bass. The tape was released on Meacham's Graceless Recordings (http://gracelessrecordings.bigcartel.com/. I'm fairly certain the next tape is either already recorded or nearly recorded, and is just waiting to be released. Here's a track:

12.10.2013 - 23:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 12.10.2013 at 20:45

Already done a couple of weeks ago. Phil released a tape from his LLN-worshipping project, Recluse, which also includes Mike Meacham of Loss on bass. The tape was released on Meacham's Graceless Recordings (http://gracelessrecordings.bigcartel.com/. I'm fairly certain the next tape is either already recorded or nearly recorded, and is just waiting to be released. Here's a track:

When you said LLN I feared the worst but that was pretty nice for something so derivative.
13.10.2013 - 01:41
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Cobalt... brilliant is the best word to describe them.
13.10.2013 - 18:49
SmokyPeat

Erik Wunder is the one who brings the other influences to the table that makes their sound distinctive (as I quickly figured out after my above post). I wrongly mentioned McSorley here. Not a fan of the Recluse track but thanks for sharing.
13.10.2013 - 20:20
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by SmokyPeat on 13.10.2013 at 18:49

Erik Wunder is the one who brings the other influences to the table that makes their sound distinctive (as I quickly figured out after my above post). I wrongly mentioned McSorley here. Not a fan of the Recluse track but thanks for sharing.

Personally, I don't think that statement is entirely accurate. I've been listening since before the Eater of Birds days, and as far as I can remember, there was an interview in an issue of Metal Maniacs wherein the band stated that Phil was the one that recorded Ritual Use Of Fire, one of Cobalt's more experimental guises. I can't reference said issue, because I didn't take those magazines with me when I moved out, and my parents threw them in the trash.

EDIT: I also have just consulted M-A, and it states that Phil solely recorded Ritual Use Of Fire.

I will say, Erik is definitely the one that brings the Swans influence into the picture. One look at the artwork and music of Man's Gin reveals that (and the fact that he has played drums for Jarboe).

Overall, I believe it's a amalgamation of both Phil's and Erik's influences that contribute to the distinctiveness of Cobalt's sound.
14.10.2013 - 13:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Why do some people in here keep on calling Cobalt's latest album 'Man's Gin' when in fact it is just called 'Gin'? Btw there are samples of Jarboe on that album as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2013 - 15:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2013 at 13:07

Why do some people in here keep on calling Cobalt's latest album 'Man's Gin' when in fact it is just called 'Gin'? Btw there are samples of Jarboe on that album as well.

Man's Gin is an apocalyptic folk rock side project by one of the Cobalt members. Certainly not part of Cobalt's discog.