Metal Storm logo
Nightwish

Original post

Posted by Elodie Artour, 09.06.2008 - 16:12
Hey, guys! Don't you think it's high-time someone started a new topic about one of my favourite (and not only mine, actually) bands - Nightwish?

I adore them - both with Tarja and with Anette!

Well, I think there is not much for me to say, as I've already written most of the things I've wanted to.

So, feel free to discuss things, related to the topic 'Nightwish'.

P.S.: No arguing and offensing, please! Long ago, there have been rules added, which are meant to show what's not to do on this forum.
26.08.2010 - 10:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

marvelous
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.08.2010 - 23:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And her voice changed
----

23.08.2012 - 23:03
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I wonder how many (if any) cinemas is this movie going to reach worldwide.
08.09.2012 - 20:35
Stabby
Account deleted
Don't be lame and pretentious don't be lame and pretentious don't be lame and pretentious...

Just kidding. Kind of. Hmm.
09.09.2012 - 00:11
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Tarja was okay enough, but something really bugged me about her faux-operatic style, which includes her crappy vibrato. It was quirky and somewhat interesting, but vocals are a big thing for me and I can't help but be annoyed. Annette, while lacking that interesting quirkiness of Tarja, sounds much better and has a much more clean, skilled voice, and she hits all of her notes quite accurately.
----
18.09.2012 - 17:04
Sangre Sani

I'm a fan of Anette too. I like Tarja in those more dynamic songs, cause in slow ones she moans like a pregnant rhino. Just saying.

I'm very interested in the movie they're making.
01.10.2012 - 18:37
IronAngel

Well, bye bye Anette!
13.01.2013 - 20:37
Ernis
狼獾
I've understood Anette's expecting her third child and she's due to give birth in about two months... That means she was already expecting during the tour and that also explains why Floor had to replace her somewhere around October or November... it would've been impossible for Anette to continue...
24.09.2013 - 04:47
Frank Comstock

Currently enjoying the heck out of Oceanborn. I really should dig deeper into Power Metal, but it's one of the few metal genres I don't have much experience in. Alright, so maybe Nightwish isn't Power Metal, but surely there is some influence that will help me get into the genre. Baby steps, right?
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
24.09.2013 - 06:04
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Frank Comstock on 24.09.2013 at 04:47

Currently enjoying the heck out of Oceanborn. I really should dig deeper into Power Metal, but it's one of the few metal genres I don't have much experience in. Alright, so maybe Nightwish isn't Power Metal, but surely there is some influence that will help me get into the genre. Baby steps, right?

Nightwish is certainly power metal...but do yourself a favor and listen to Helloween
23.03.2018 - 21:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Juka Nevilainen, what is his status,. he never officially left, but band dont post any news about him
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.11.2018 - 23:17
Riplimbs

Here is another really great band from Finland wich has the same kind of elements as Nightwish. Check out Memoira -Dawn of time musicvideo from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqfZHOMA1VU
05.01.2022 - 10:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Once Tuoumas Holopainen said he never would write lyrics as in ''Angels Fall First'' (I can not find that interview. Why whats wrong IMO its their best musically and lyrically...well unless you like shuemaker
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2022 - 04:52
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Bad English on 05.01.2022 at 10:24

Once Tuoumas Holopainen said he never would write lyrics as in ''Angels Fall First'' (I can not find that interview. Why whats wrong IMO its their best musically and lyrically...well unless you like shuemaker

His lyrics have been consistently good but the music took a sharp decline after Wishmaster. Ocean Soul from Century Child has some of his most personal lyrics.

Sure they got bigger, but Oceanborn and Wishmaster are genre defining albums. Angels Falls First is a very underrated debut album, and Century Child is a good transition record, but the writing was on the wall with Once. The band went into symphonic knees deep, throwing the baby with the bathwater.

Today they sound like a shadow of the former band, despite all the amazing musicians Nightwish lost it's soul long ago.
----
12.01.2022 - 08:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 4look4rd on 12.01.2022 at 04:52

His lyrics have been consistently good but the music took a sharp decline after Wishmaster. Ocean Soul from Century Child has some of his most personal lyrics.

Sure they got bigger, but Oceanborn and Wishmaster are genre defining albums. Angels Falls First is a very underrated debut album, and Century Child is a good transition record, but the writing was on the wall with Once. The band went into symphonic knees deep, throwing the baby with the bathwater.

Today they sound like a shadow of the former band, despite all the amazing musicians Nightwish lost it's soul long ago.

One of best answers here, Marko left, good, we will see how long Floor can be in, maybe band will merge in Auri. Angels are their best work..
----

apos;'
[image]
20.01.2022 - 19:58
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by 4look4rd on 12.01.2022 at 04:52

Oh those first albums were really good.

I gotta say, most of the time I don't like symphonic metal. The reason being is that it is most of the time derivative and/or too often centered in ballads. However early Nightwish was impossible not to like. It had that something that made you willing to keep listening to each song until it ended.
That's the bless of songwriting, I guess. you don't see that very often nowadays
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.01.2022 - 21:57
MicMet

Yes, nightwish was/is great; I never realized that you usually only find ballads nowadays in symphonic Metal (actually I have a band project and our newest and 7th song so far is rather symphonic Metal, but no ballad - I'll present it one day here) probably nightwish was the band which brought me (and surely others) to Metal. I remeber when I was in school they were very popular for us school kids - I do not know whether this was only locally where I lived or a general trend. Some of us came to Metal later. I was in a school band that time and we really discoverd the old Metal that time, even the 70ies Hard-Rock area like AC/DC of whom we also played songs...cool time...
I would not say that Nigthwish lost their soul, they just developed in a direction not every fan can go with - like many bands - look at Iron Maiden - they sound so much different nowadays - though i think they still have good songs, I would prefer having a time machine and going back in the 80ies to see a concert like life after death which was long before my time...
There is an old comment above, which I will quote more or less: If you think, nightwish has lost their soul, try Helloween.
07.02.2022 - 02:46
Netzach
Planewalker

That comment about the lyrics was very likely just a self-conscious jab against "Nymphomaniac Fantasia" from the debut album; Tuomas used to joke about it quite a lot in interviews back in the days. I wouldn't say Angels Fall First is their best either musically or lyrically, though... Those honours go to Oceanborn and Century Child, respectively.
18.11.2022 - 18:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Just have read on Facebook fan page that Floor Jansen got breast cancer surgery at the end of October Fortunately she just posted an update, that everything should be OK again. And their tour is about to start.
----

06.12.2022 - 11:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
The last stage of getting Floor Jansen back to full health involves radiation therapy, which has been rescheduled from February to January. And so, as a consequence, we are unable to come to Asia as scheduled. But don’t panic! All of our team are working solidly on making sure we all see you again soon.
- Nightwish

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=686510989503521&set=a.228323745322250
----

apos;'
[image]