Metal Storm logo
Nightwish

09.06.2008 - 16:12
Elodie Artour
Slania
Hey, guys! Don't you think it's high-time someone started a new topic about one of my favourite (and not only mine, actually) bands - Nightwish?

I adore them - both with Tarja and with Anette!

Well, I think there is not much for me to say, as I've already written most of the things I've wanted to.

So, feel free to discuss things, related to the topic 'Nightwish'.

P.S.: No arguing and offensing, please! Long ago, there have been rules added, which are meant to show what's not to do on this forum.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
10.06.2008 - 06:01
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
I like their sweeping sounds and cool imagery. they have a really sweet sound and the vocals are clean enough to back it up.

fav song: master passion greed
11.06.2008 - 02:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Nightwish is a great band...I haven't heard any of their new material though...
11.06.2008 - 02:25
Abattoir
staff
Cool band with nice vocals (now and before)...they kick ass playing in live...with all those pyros things and fireworks - well, they can afford these things of course
11.06.2008 - 08:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I've seen them twice. They're amazing.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.06.2008 - 15:42
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Arian: Both times with Tarja, both with Anette or one time with the one vocalist, and the other one - with the another one?

Gosh... How did this sentence become like that?!
----
15.06.2008 - 15:21
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
One of my fav bands since I heard their 1st album. But I just don't like Anette's vocal. Sry !
20.06.2008 - 05:50
- DaN -
KaminarI
Oh...for me annette and tarja have diferent styles, Tarja has more ability with classic music and melodic , like the song "Ghost Love Score"(the best song of nightwish, i think), and Annette's style is more "rooted" in rock music, as we can se in song"Bye Bye Beautiful" , so if i could choose one formation for NW i would choose Tarja!!
^^
----
 [b][red]I just knell to god... and I'm not seeing him here. !!!
20.06.2008 - 08:58
Fat & Sassy!
elite
I miss Tarja... but as long as Tuomas stays with band, I'll never stop loving them.

Their music is VERY atmospheric and full of emotion. Their lyrics are beautiful. And everyone in the band seems to belong and doesn't feel out of place. A rock solid metal band that I hop keeps making music for years to come!
21.06.2008 - 01:48
Ernis
狼獾
I think we should all make Anette a big grand "Happy birthday" wish.....

HB, Anette!!!
21.06.2008 - 02:12
Dagorwen
*restraining very hard not to troll, not to troll, not to troll...*

Well, Anette, I wish you to get a voice...

_ fuck, I trolled, sorry
21.06.2008 - 02:14
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Written by Dagorwen on 21.06.2008 at 02:12

_ fuck, I trolled, sorry

U really make me laugh when I read this.
I agree .
21.06.2008 - 12:22
Dagorwen
glad to share this opinion with you!
21.06.2008 - 12:30
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by Dagorwen on 21.06.2008 at 02:12

_ fuck, I trolled, sorry

Anyway happy birthday Anette
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
22.06.2008 - 20:14
Elodie Artour
Slania
Oh, I'm sooo sorry I'm late...

Anyway...

Happy birthday, Anette!Wish you all the best!
----
24.06.2008 - 12:37
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Happy birthday to Emppu. Although I quite doubt he's ever gonna read anything in Metalstorm.
----
You'll never walk alone.
24.06.2008 - 15:33
Elodie Artour
Slania
Hehe.

Happy birthday to Emppu!
----
25.06.2008 - 22:16
Ernis
狼獾
Yeh....HB to Emppu....though it may come a little late....and I also doubt he'll read this forum....
25.06.2008 - 22:57
Tórnach
Account deleted
I must say, I really don't like Nightwish. They have a few gems, like Planet Hell, but a lot of their new stuff is pretty terrible. It seems like it's getting more and more mainstreamish. Even so, they do have a handful of great songs.
26.06.2008 - 02:36
El Vikingo
Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 22:57

I must say, I really don't like Nightwish. They have a few gems, like Planet Hell, but a lot of their new stuff is pretty terrible. It seems like it's getting more and more mainstreamish. Even so, they do have a handful of great songs.

Hmmm...I wouldn't say that they're necessarily getting more mainstream. The thing that bugs me about their albums since Wishmaster is that they have been losing that fun folky power metal sound that they had. Dark Passion Play brings A LITTLE BIT of that back...but I find Annette to be pretty annoying most of the time. She looks goofy and her voice isn't very special.

Oceanborn, Wishmaster, Over the Hills, and about half of Century Child are just perfection to me.
----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
26.06.2008 - 10:17
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 22:57

Really? I thought that some songs on Once are a little more mainstream sounding than their usual stuff. Dark Passion Play kinda brought back a little bit of the more traditional Nightwish. Opening an album with a 13 min. epic isn't very "mainstream"...
26.06.2008 - 16:19
Elodie Artour
Slania
@a.bob: I don't think that the newly recorded NW songs are closely related to the band's earlier 'folk' material. :
----
26.06.2008 - 19:00
El Vikingo
Written by Elodie Artour on 26.06.2008 at 16:19

@a.bob: I don't think that the newly recorded NW songs are closely related to the band's earlier 'folk' material. :

Amaranth, Sahara, and The Islander are much closer to it than anything on Once.

And I don't quite know what you are talking about. Their 'folk' material was pre-Angels Fall First. That isn't what I am talking about. What I'm talking about is mostly Oceanborn + Wishmaster...that folky power metal sound. Most of the songs on DPP are WAY the hell different, but there are a few songs that are similar.
----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
26.06.2008 - 19:08
Tórnach
Account deleted
"Mainstreamish" isn't the best word...I was drunk at the time...

I used to love Nightwish, I'd play their music over and over again, but for the past few months I've found it hard to get into for some reason. I don't know why, but I can't like it anymore.
26.06.2008 - 23:27
Elodie Artour
Slania
@a.bob: No, no.It seems you haven't got my point.

I meant that that old Nightwish 'folk metalish' sound is gone.Neither 'Sahara', nor 'The Islander' and such newer songs reflect to NW's earlier folk stuff.
----
27.06.2008 - 08:05
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 26.06.2008 at 19:08

"Mainstreamish" isn't the best word...I was drunk at the time...

I used to love Nightwish, I'd play their music over and over again, but for the past few months I've found it hard to get into for some reason. I don't know why, but I can't like it anymore.

I hear you, man. I can't listen to Dark Passion Play all the way through... But I think that the direction they've taken their music is for the better though. I loved Once, but it sounded like Nightwish might have started to go down the same road that Within Temptaion has taken. Believe me, I will cry if Nightwish releases anything like Within Temptation's last two albums... ack!
27.06.2008 - 08:50
Evican
Ann O'War
Written by Elodie Artour on 26.06.2008 at 23:27

I meant that that old Nightwish 'folk metalish' sound is gone. Neither 'Sahara', nor "The Islander" and such newer songs reflect to NW's earlier folk stuff.

I agree. The guitars were also a lot more 'raw' in the pre-Once albums. I miss that. Take Wishmaster for example, the guitars in that were somewhat reminscent to the rawness of Angels Fall First. Century Child can even be said to be more raw than Once and Dark Passion Play.

And.. I also miss the harpsicord on "FantasMic", "Sacrament Of Wilderness" and "Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean". Tuomas should use more harpsicord and also a pipe organ. Mmmm, now that would make for some epic music.
01.07.2008 - 22:17
Ernis
狼獾
Second time that I've seen them now....They were very powerful....And they played Slaying the Dreamer, Dead To the World, The Siren and Sleeping Sun.....Hopes are high for their future gigs and works....
01.07.2008 - 23:09
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Ernis on 01.07.2008 at 22:17

They were very powerful....

That's what I hope for when I go see a POWER metal band...
29.07.2008 - 00:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
wow... i can't even compare the song Amaranth to their old stuff, like maybe.. say a weak track...i mean fuck.. every song on Century Child and Oceanborn destroys this one(yes even Feel For You lol). did Tuomas invent that intro on the spot? it sounds cliche x 1000..

and i used to worship that dude