Metal Storm logo
Nightwish

Original post

Posted by Elodie Artour, 09.06.2008 - 16:12
Hey, guys! Don't you think it's high-time someone started a new topic about one of my favourite (and not only mine, actually) bands - Nightwish?

I adore them - both with Tarja and with Anette!

Well, I think there is not much for me to say, as I've already written most of the things I've wanted to.

So, feel free to discuss things, related to the topic 'Nightwish'.

P.S.: No arguing and offensing, please! Long ago, there have been rules added, which are meant to show what's not to do on this forum.
13.03.2009 - 20:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
So now i have heard whole new GLS on youtube and...i am kinda disappointed
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.03.2009 - 22:36
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 12.03.2009 at 21:57

And was it good? and can this and can be find anywhere on web?

I couldn't find any videos of it..
but why are you disappointed about the whole song?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
14.03.2009 - 08:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well i have to say i really dont like Anette's voice here...this song is too special for me, i guess
----

14.03.2009 - 11:29
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 14.03.2009 at 08:58

Well i have to say i really dont like Anette's voice here...this song is too special for me, i guess

Ah I see. Back to Anette vs Tarja again..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
14.03.2009 - 13:04
Ernis
狼獾
Anette is good with these two super-songs....but the thing that disappoints is the fact that the youtube videos are of extremely poor quality plus some person obviously attempted to make the video sound better by mixing the concert recording of Anette and a Tarja-age studio recording as background....that didn't go together that well....
14.03.2009 - 17:02
Janne
Hugin
Could you please post those links where I can find the whole songs on Youtube? It's hard for me to find them..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
14.03.2009 - 17:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Janne on 14.03.2009 at 11:29

actually i was always Anette's supporter...you can read this topic back and see...but GLS is "The Song" for me and i simply cannot get used to totally new singing here...at least not so quickly...
----

14.03.2009 - 17:06
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 14.03.2009 at 17:02

Written by Janne on 14.03.2009 at 11:29

actually i was always Anette's supporter...you can read this topic back and see...but GLS is "The Song" for me and i simply cannot get used to totally new singing here...at least not so quickly...

I can understand you and I didn't want to blame you, I just noticed that everything ends with that topic here..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
18.03.2009 - 02:55
ToMegaTherion

I have liked Nightwish for a number of years now and I can honestly say that they are still one of my favorites. But all I can say is thank god Tarja is gone. She had her time on Oceanborn and Wishmaster and she should have retired then and there bec ause everything thereafter had no effort one her part. Tumos was writing amazing pieces of music and she would sing them half arsed. Reguardless of the quality of her replacement, Tarja had to go.
Dark Passion Play has wuickly become my favorite album since Wishmaster and is testament to what Tuomas can do where he is writing for a singer who cares about her work. Anette may not be able to hit the same notes as Tarja, but she cares, and she dose a great job on DPP.
So Anette Olzon all the way for me...
20.03.2009 - 11:01
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
Nightwish played Ghost Love Score live at Amsterdam, it was INCREDIBLE!
20.03.2009 - 15:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think they will be play it every time since now...
----

21.03.2009 - 18:44
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ellrohir on 20.03.2009 at 15:01

I think they will be play it every time since now...

They better do it! And now that I'm thinking about it, I would, in fact, also like to hear "Swanheart" next time I happen to see'em....
22.03.2009 - 10:05
annodomini

I just hope they will play it now forever. I will die for it, but i see it live no matter what. And the new playlist of live shows ais incredible. At last the point that i hated in NW _ Tarja, is replaced, and the old songs starts to sound awesome to me vocally too, not even musically. Cant wait to hear the new setlist.
----
the riddle wants to be...
26.03.2009 - 17:48
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The new song The Escapist features a Annette much better than on DPP, if you ask me. Try it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3UGbFtNVbA (Don't mind the film, it's from the movie Narnya...)
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
26.03.2009 - 23:58
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Don't you guys feel that Nightwish setlists are too short? I mean, they are my favourite band since I was 17 years old, and I've attended two of their concerts. In both of them, they played no more than fifteen songs. I expected Tuomas to be more generous after Anette's arrival, but maybe they feel that having Ghost Love Score (yes, please, more Ghost Love Score!) and The Poet and the Pendulum on their setlist already makes it long enough. Too bad they shall never include one of my favourite songs, Ocean Soul, because Tuomas finds it too personal to play in public.
29.03.2009 - 03:08
nehrodwarf

I suppose that Tuomas wished to change the band's style: "rock and roll" "heavier" instead of traditional melodic (I've read that at an interview).
But they(TUOMAS) don't reached his goal. And the nightwish lost your essence, not even metal the newests songs are too soft, you almost listen guitars, drums, bass... it's looks like "pop".

I suppose that vocal change was beyond the musicals lines, was something personal.

but... anyway...

I prefer Tarja, Anette has too much to learn
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
30.03.2009 - 17:29
annodomini

Well, i actually prefer more Anette on GLS, because with Tarja the main vocal line was just dissapeared, and Anette sings the part "My fall will be for you" incredible.
----
the riddle wants to be...
08.05.2009 - 14:39
Porcelain Doll

What I wouldn't give to hear GLS live for myself. By either vocalist! I'm kicking myself that I got into these guys so late, I missed being able to see them live in Australia. I saw Once in the CD store and was in desperate need of new material to listen to. I was blown away, particularly by GLS.

I do like Dark Passion Play as well though, it has a certain musical quality that just draws my attention and makes me listen. I don't know if it's the music or Anette's voice, but either way I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing more Nightwish.
08.05.2009 - 21:45
Zelse

I'm seeing them tonight. First time seeing them, and I'm relatively new to the band (DPP is by far my favorite album, and I only really know and like about half the songs from Once, and outside of that I know only a couple songs...) but I've looked into some of the songs they've been playing the past few dates of the tour and I think I'm ready. I really just want to see Poet and the Pendulum and Wish I Had An Angel most of all - anything else is like a bonus, really, haha. I can't wait to be there.
08.05.2009 - 22:56
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Zelse on 08.05.2009 at 21:45

I'm seeing them tonight. First time seeing them, and I'm relatively new to the band (DPP is by far my favorite album, and I only really know and like about half the songs from Once, and outside of that I know only a couple songs...) but I've looked into some of the songs they've been playing the past few dates of the tour and I think I'm ready. I really just want to see Poet and the Pendulum and Wish I Had An Angel most of all - anything else is like a bonus, really, haha. I can't wait to be there.

Make sure you listen to "Angels Fall First"...this is a truly magical song....best of the early Nightwish works....
oh...now if to think, this band has made so much good and special music it's difficult to give suggestions which songs are best....
08.05.2009 - 23:00
Zelse

I've heard all of the albums except Wishmaster, I just can't remember anything that was made before Once, except Ever Dream. I'll give Angels Fall First a spin in the car on the way there, though... I have three hours to kill, haha.
09.05.2009 - 16:33
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Zelse on 08.05.2009 at 23:00

I've heard all of the albums except Wishmaster, I just can't remember anything that was made before Once, except Ever Dream. I'll give Angels Fall First a spin in the car on the way there, though... I have three hours to kill, haha.

"Angels Fall First" is best choice for listening amidst beautiful sceneries, or simply when you wish to settle down and rest.....I've listened to it during long-ass train rides, but also in beautiful places such as at a monastery on the top of a most beautiful mountain or when ascending the scenic spot of the Victoria Peak in Hong Kong....the latter two are a wonderful experience.....
09.05.2009 - 18:57
Ag Fox
Angel No More
You've been to Hong Kong? nice one
don't think some of the songs in Angels fall first fit into the Victoria Peak scenery.
Elvenpath... play it when you are on the peak tram? don't think there are much tram tracks on elf paths XD
Tutankhamen doesn't quite fit either
----
loves 小巫
09.05.2009 - 19:06
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ag Fox on 09.05.2009 at 18:57

You've been to Hong Kong? nice one
don't think some of the songs in Angels fall first fit into the Victoria Peak scenery.
Elvenpath... play it when you are on the peak tram? don't think there are much tram tracks on elf paths XD
Tutankhamen doesn't quite fit either

Well imagine you're walking up the hill....then imagine you're up there and taking a walk when there's already less people and when the sun starts to set....and then admire the beautiful peaceful sceneries such as this one from the Victoria Peak
or this one on Lantau

I do not say that all songs of the album fit....but the title track "Angels Fall First" fits very well....
And when you start descending the Victoria Peak when it is already dar, and along paths that are not often used....some of them not even lit....there's definitely a lot more to Hong Kong than just the downtown towers and the Peak Tram....
09.05.2009 - 20:18
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Didn't expect you to have a chance to explore the more natural side of Hong Kong. A rare thing among tourists I'd say. Quality [=
----
loves 小巫
09.05.2009 - 21:03
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ag Fox on 09.05.2009 at 20:18

Didn't expect you to have a chance to explore the more natural side of Hong Kong. A rare thing among tourists I'd say. Quality [=

I wasn't a tourist if to say so....'twas more or less just a trip for the school vacation....I went myself and didn't use any touristy services....
I managed to walk from downtown to Aberdeen one day.....got to see a lot of the rural landscape of HK island....of course with music (Nightwish also) in me earplugs....
09.05.2009 - 21:55
Zelse

Nightwish put on a HELL of a show last night! To hell with the Anette haters, she was brilliant!
09.05.2009 - 22:09
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Lol... the only instances of me listening to Nightwish in Hong Kong is on the MTR (metro/underground equivilent), so yeah, it loses a lot of the enchanted feel hehe.
but yeah, do you think Tuomas had similar thoughts to you when naming the EP?

@Zelse
I like Anette's voice in Nightwish, but I do think she needs a bit more experience in live shows to receive the love of the crowds. She's been with the band for like 2 years now, so I'm not surprised if she's improving and gaining confidence. Hope she keeps on working on it and be more consistent, because I wasn't convinced by her performance recorded in the made in Hong Kong EP.
----
loves 小巫
09.05.2009 - 22:14
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ag Fox on 09.05.2009 at 22:09

Lol... the only instances of me listening to Nightwish in Hong Kong is on the MTR (metro/underground equivilent), so yeah, it loses a lot of the enchanted feel hehe

Not necessarily if you wish and know how to concentrate on music....
09.05.2009 - 22:49
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Went and saw them for the third time last night. As usual, it was an awsome performance. I think Annette does Nemo just as well as Tarja live. And, unlike the last two times, she DIDN"T do sleeping sun, which is a song that she should never.....ever attempt. lol.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.