Metal Storm logo
The Purpose Of Creating New Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Bitter Dawn, 13.06.2008 - 04:07
Maybe it's just my struggle with creating music that I actually like, but I also haven't really been able to get into very many newer black metal bands. That coupled with old BM bands gaining mainstream popularity and selling out, I start to wonder what is the purpose of new or modern black metal?

The second wave of black metal musicians have pretty much set the bar for quality black metal, and the style of those bands varies so much that it's hard to create something that stands out. Even bands from the second wave have evolved and changed their sound significantly, Dimmu is really commercial with alot of clean vocals, Satyricon is very rock oriented with catchy riffs, Mayhem is constantly switching their sound up, Darkthrone sounds like a mix of punk and old 80's heavy metal, and even Carpathian Forest really changed their sound with Fuck You All!!!.

The problem with most new bands is they lack innovation, most of them sound like knock offs of the older bands as it's well known there are a ton of old Darkthrone and Mayhem copy cats. It just seems like their is a lack of creativity, originality, talent and most bands are trying to live up to being like the bands that once were.

Opinions?
15.07.2012 - 00:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I've heard the albums before and agree with the OBC and Marcel - they aren't albums I'd consider myself to have "missed out on" if I hadn't heard them before and they definitely aren't black metal in the traditional sense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.07.2012 - 10:44
Maarghul

I think Black Metal is one of the most innovative and expansive genres under the metal umbrella
Plenty of new Black Metal is bringing something new, something fresh, and i've heard some amazing bands/albums in the last decade
^ My 2 cents
23.07.2012 - 07:41
deathexhortation

Written by Maarghul on 18.07.2012 at 10:44

I think Black Metal is one of the most innovative and expansive genres under the metal umbrella
Plenty of new Black Metal is bringing something new, something fresh, and i've heard some amazing bands/albums in the last decade
^ My 2 cents

Completely agree. In fact, I'd say under the music umbrella in general, not only the metal one. It's true that there are hundreds (thousands?) of ripped-off rehashes that tarnish the scene. But if you've got a keen eye, you can find a VERY large number of reasons that new, sometimes absurdly high quality black metal is being created. I personally find that most bands pushing the envelope these days tend to be obscure and underground. I generally am open to all kinds of music, from pop to power electronics, but black metal is my favorite and I firmly believe in the direction the genre is taking. Also I believe that disregarding new black metal is a scenester pitfall which makes people feel good about themselves or superior (without having actually done something in the first place), and sticking only to the classics can potentially dumb a person down. There's now a GREAT wealth of black metal out there, so it's not always easy to find the good stuff. Research, listen, support, keep it below the radar and progress.
06.08.2012 - 02:53
Guib
Thrash Talker
There is no point in creating black metal at all

Thanks for reading, keep me posted
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
06.08.2012 - 05:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
There is no point in reading the above post. It contains about as much substance and originality as your average revivalist thrash band.

Thanks for reading, if he ever says something of value keep me posted.
06.08.2012 - 06:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 06.08.2012 at 05:18
Thanks for reading, if he ever says something of value keep me posted.

I'm not sure if it was an attempt at humor since I made that snide remark about Tankard on one of their album threads. :/

Not that I'd ever assume I was that important to someone other than ponderer.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.08.2012 - 16:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.08.2012 at 06:05

I'm not sure if it was an attempt at humor since I made that snide remark about Tankard on one of their album threads. :/

If I recall it's not the first time he's made quips about black metal seemingly off the cuff for no reason. I think maybe he comes to threads like this to take cheap shots after having his fanboyism exposed, usually sporting that flaccid, transparent attempt at a passive-aggressive attitude.

He'll probably accuse us of being angry when he sees our comments. Lulz.
07.08.2012 - 00:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
His jokes are about as original as his favorite music.
----
07.08.2012 - 05:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.08.2012 at 00:48

His jokes are about as original as his favorite music.

*Instant rimshot*

I want to actually contribute, but My reply would be full of factual errors and BS do to me only listening to the genre for about 4 months
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.08.2012 - 05:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
As someone newly interested in the genre, you can still provide your own opinion on the matter. Besides, it's not like someone who's been listening to it for 20 years necessarily has a more "correct" analysis.
----
07.08.2012 - 11:15
Slayer666

Written by Boxcar Willy on 07.08.2012 at 05:15

I want to actually contribute, but My reply would be full of factual errors and BS do to me only listening to the genre for about 4 months

That hasn't stopped Beast Boy/Ashbringer/Oaken before, so I say go for it.
07.08.2012 - 16:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Fine then.

I think Black metal isn't really about the music (yes it is, bear with me) I think Black metal is the person(s) behind it, you get the emotions, the struggles and all that fun stuff. Everybody faces different struggles throughout their lives, these struggles are put into music form. Sure there are a lot of Darkthrone and Mayhem copycats out there, but every genre has it's stinker bands. *cough* Thrash metal *cough*

This thread was createda few years ago as well, probably just at the beggining of the blackgaze movement (if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I am). And while now the genre has gone stagnent, it was fairly different and original during the beggining.

You also can't forget about the bands that DO make original (to a certain extent) Black metal. Blut Aus Nord, Verwustung, Botanist etc. These are bands that try and think outside the box, and use different ideas in their music. They definately aren't your second wave BM band with 7678 demos recorded on a Fisher Price "My First Recorder".

And one last point, I haven't beenlistening o this since 1992, so Even the unoriginal bands interest me, because I haven't really heard what they play before, sure I listen to Darkthrone and Burzum, but I've never found an album the comes close to Transilvanian Hunger, or Filosfem. And to be honest, if there are albums that accurately copy those two... send them my way!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2012 - 00:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 06.08.2012 at 16:22

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.08.2012 at 06:05

If I recall it's not the first time he's made quips about black metal seemingly off the cuff for no reason. I think maybe he comes to threads like this to take cheap shots after having his fanboyism exposed, usually sporting that flaccid, transparent attempt at a passive-aggressive attitude.

He'll probably accuse us of being angry when he sees our comments. Lulz.

Im flattered it moved you so much

I especially liked this one (fanboyism exposed, usually sporting that flaccid, transparent attempt at a passive-aggressive attitute.) That hurts man.
At least you did kept me posted

and @Troy... what's wrong with my favorite music ??
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.08.2012 - 01:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guib on 08.08.2012 at 00:45

I was mocking you for coming into a thread about black metal only to say there isn't any point in creating black metal.
----
08.08.2012 - 01:41
Sync
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 07.08.2012 at 16:23

I think Black metal isn't really about the music (yes it is, bear with me) I think Black metal is the person(s) behind it, you get the emotions

100% agree there.

When I listen to it - the 'true-er' kind :s - I feel the raw aggression and emotion the people have towards, in this case, Christianity. Which you just don't get as much imo in other genres.
08.08.2012 - 19:52
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.08.2012 at 01:02

Written by Guib on 08.08.2012 at 00:45

I was mocking you for coming into a thread about black metal only to say there isn't any point in creating black metal.

I figured that, but anyways it was but a simple troll, turned out as I planned (evil grin)
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.08.2012 - 02:23
Savopipo

I say only this .. BaN!! I rest my case.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
12.09.2012 - 18:27
AndyFraser

Written by deathexhortation on 23.07.2012 at 07:41

Written by Maarghul on 18.07.2012 at 10:44

^ My 2 cents

Completely agree. In fact, I'd say under the music umbrella in general, not only the metal one. It's true that there are hundreds (thousands?) of ripped-off rehashes that tarnish the scene. But if you've got a keen eye, you can find a VERY large number of reasons that new, sometimes absurdly high quality black metal is being created. I personally find that most bands pushing the envelope these days tend to be obscure and underground. I generally am open to all kinds of music, from pop to power electronics, but black metal is my favorite and I firmly believe in the direction the genre is taking. Also I believe that disregarding new black metal is a scenester pitfall which makes people feel good about themselves or superior (without having actually done something in the first place), and sticking only to the classics can potentially dumb a person down. There's now a GREAT wealth of black metal out there, so it's not always easy to find the good stuff. Research, listen, support, keep it below the radar and progress.

You're not kidding! It can be very hard to find the good stuff. My BM collection is only 20 CDs spread among 6 bands (if you count early Bathory). I particularly love Watain and would love to find some more like them but BM is so broad and there's so much below average music that it's really hard.
12.09.2012 - 18:55
Vombatus
Potorro
^Don't know how you search for new stuff, but considering the amount of bands and subgenres, it's fairly easy to find a few of each that are really good. It's only a guess, but maybe you just like a certain type of BM.

As for stuff similar to Watain, here's a secret:

1. Search Watain on MA.
2. Go on the similar artist option.
3. ?? ??
4. Profit !!!
28.01.2013 - 06:45
squidrick420

Why should I not be able to make black metal just because it has already been done? I love the music, I love playing it, it is the genre i can truly project myself through. And besides, if you think that making new black metal is pointless, then i guess so would new death metal, thrash, doom, and most kinds of metal; if that were the case we would be stuck with the crap metal and the good stuff would go extinct.