Band: Eventide
Album: No Place Darker
Style: Gothenburg metal, Progressive metal
Release date: 2005

01. No Place Darker
02. New Reality
03. My Closest Demon
04. Arms Of Silence

Same old formula or the new hope of Sweden?

I remember listening to Eventide a few years ago while the whole Melodeath scene of Sweden was on the top of the charts, that was their Demo "Caress The Abstract" circa 1999, now after many years they come back with a new Demo, entitled "No Place Darker".

These guys play Melodic Death Metal, Gothenburg style to be more accurate, think Dark Tranquillity, In Flames etc, etc. and you'll get the picture quite well.
Of course, this act can't be considered a clone, Eventide inject some elements in their music to make it different, although comparisons are bound to happen, I mean, is not THAT different.

Melodic Death Metal is on its way down these days, it has become as predictable as Power Metal, and that is because of the overpopulation of Melodic Death Metal bands. I honestly feel that this Demo is quite good, although some years late.

Eventide have a progressive side, almost melancholic at parts, they go with clean and growled vocals, both very well executed, songs have enough changes to keep you interested in them, although at the end of the Cd you get the feeling that you've listened this before.

The 4 songs here are bound to make an impression, I'm sure, but I'm afraid that people with an aversion towards Melodeath Metal won't like this a bit.
As far I'm concerned this is a good Demo, although a few years out of date. I can imagine this being released back in year 2,000? that could have been something.
Please notice the awesome artwork handled by artist extraordinaire, Niklas Sundin.

Anyway, I definitively place my bet on this band, listening Eventide is remembering why Melodic Death Metal was so great in the first place.

Written by Undercraft | 08.11.2005

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 16 users
13.06.2008 - 20:17
FOOCK Nam

I like the song New Reality, but seems its the best track of this stuff

Hits total: 2573 | This month: 3