03. Finis Mundi
04. Metal From Hellas
05. Hyrkanian Blades
06. Oceans Of Pain
07. Born In The '70s
08. Warlord Of Mars
09. Death Before Disgrace
10. Morbid Tabernacle/Isle Of The Dead [Manilla Road cover] [digipak bonus]

Battleroar is in the category of the bands which still play the same kind of music from an album to one other. If you're already into the music of this Greek band, there are a lot of chances that you'll like their new release "To Death And Beyond". Don't expect anything outstanding here, nothing special or original too but just solid Power Heavy Metal.

"To Death And Beyond" is one of these albums that you can listen to without finding it bad but which will never give you anything special too. I mean that the new release of Battleroar is not a bad release of Heavy Power Metal; in general the songs have good riffs and good catchy melodies but it's simply extremely common and damn we've already seen it a lot of time already. What I want to tell you here is that it's hard to say that "To Death And Beyond" is a bad release but it's simply too average and conventional to become something big. Even the fans of the band shouldn't find something which will give them shivers, this is not bad, not good as well? At least we have some good Epic atmospheres but the band will clearly have to find some killer melodies to become a bit more famous, right now it won't be possible.

Even if it's hard to criticize the performance of the five musicians, there is nothing special here too. The guitars soli are well done but they're not outstanding, the singer has a good voice a la Dickinson but he is not Dickinson and I could say that for all the other parts of the CD? Every time it's impossible to say that it's bad but it's just not special too. Even the production is a bit so so, we can hear the instruments but it's not that clean too? "To Death And Beyond" is a perfect description of an average album?

Maybe that the fans of the band or the fans of Epic Heavy Metal will find a real interest in "To Death And Beyond" but I don't see how this album will be played a lot of time by their CD reader. This is finally to common and boring to stay in your mind unfortunately. "To Death And Beyond" is not a terrible album but there is nothing which will let me tell you that this is a great album, we're just navigating on a really calm sea, nothing special will happen here?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 15.06.2008

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 59 users
17.06.2008 - 02:09
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
That's too bad you think that. I've always liked them, but like you said not terrible, but just not original. I'm thinking of ordering 'Age of Chaos' sometime soon. Would you say this is better or worse?
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.06.2008 - 11:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol, metal from hellas, K7 would love that track

think i'm gonna check them out
17.06.2008 - 11:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Okay it isn't too original I agree but the epic metal they play they play very well indeed. I think I would rate it a 7.2 or thereabouts.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2008 - 06:38
Rating: 4
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Review is spot on, I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard the album.
21.06.2009 - 22:41
DayFly

Thank Zeus there are still bands playing this type of music. I couldn't care less if it sounds dated, I'll take this over Euro Power metal any day.
23.06.2009 - 12:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 21.06.2009 at 22:41

Thank Zeus there are still bands playing this type of music. I couldn't care less if it sounds dated, I'll take this over Euro Power metal any day.

100% agreed
And now I will put on some Slough Feg
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.09.2011 - 14:42
Rating: 10
deflektor

A 10 from me,i don't care if it sounds dated ,it has killer and MEMORABLE songs and great lyrics.oh,and it stayed in my mind with the first play...

thank Zeus that we continue to have such bands and not only bands that play the same old same old thrash,black,melodic death,pagan/folk metal.....

Hits total: 5787 | This month: 8