10. A Smart Kid
11. Tinto Brass
12. Stop Swimming
13. Ambulance Chasing
14. Even Less [Full version]
+ Piano Lessons [video]
+ Lyrics
+ Photogallery

Most albums of Porcupine Tree focus on being some kind of entity, with a theme, a concept, a red thread through the whole disc. Even if this album has a quite certain "style", I think of Stupid Dream as a collection of good songs more than an album. When a band writes an album with a concept, the album often becomes like a story were no chapters can be left out, and therefore all songs feel important. In other cases, like with 'Stupid Dream', there will almost unavoidably be fillers and tracks that you don't like as much as others - but also favourites. I normally don't find fillers on Porcupine Tree albums but here I can find at least three tracks that aren't interesting at all. Still the album also contains some of my favourite Porcupine Tree songs.

'Stupid Dream' has two sides - the catchy and popsong-oriented side like in the hits 'Piano Lessons' and 'Even Less', and the fragile and beautiful side like in 'Stop Swimming' and 'A Smart Kid'. I have to say that both sides are definately not bad, but I prefer the mellow songs which I believe to be very undiscovered even by fans. Soothing basslines, calm and sometimes desperate vocals blend perfectly with flute, incredible guitar solos ('A Smart Kid') and piano, and create atmospheres that I haven't heard any other band come close to. The very depressive lyrics also add a lot to this.

Stupid Dream might be my least favourite album of those I have heard with Porcupine Tree, but it's still very impressive that a band can change their direction quite radical and still release such a good album as Stupid Dream really is. Recommended to people who like their lighter stuff.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Spyroid | 13.06.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 120 users
17.06.2008 - 07:59
CorpseFinger
Account deleted
Awesome review. Perfectly describes what makes Porcupine Tree so freakin' cool. I love this album and Porcupine Tree. They're the perfect band to wind down from my usual heavy ear assaulting bombage of Death and Black metal. I love how with this band the more you listen to it and more you read the lyrics and think them over the more you come across little meanings and so forth. Some tracks really get me thinking.
17.06.2008 - 12:37
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Actually this is a very good album. Its certainly lighter as you said but it works perfectly in my opinion.

As always, I think the lyrics are quite impressive. My favourite songs are "even less", "don't hate me" and "stranger by the minute".

Overall, its a very solid release and it sounds great.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.06.2008 - 13:40
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Guest on 17.06.2008 at 07:59

Awesome review. Perfectly describes what makes Porcupine Tree so freakin' cool. I love this album and Porcupine Tree. They're the perfect band to wind down from my usual heavy ear assaulting bombage of Death and Black metal. I love how with this band the more you listen to it and more you read the lyrics and think them over the more you come across little meanings and so forth. Some tracks really get me thinking.

Thanks a lot! Guess I'll have to review more of their albums now
26.09.2008 - 19:30
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 17.06.2008 at 12:37

Actually this is a very good album. Its certainly lighter as you said but it works perfectly in my opinion.

As always, I think the lyrics are quite impressive. My favourite songs are "even less", "don't hate me" and "stranger by the minute".

I totally agree, one of my favourite albums as well.
26.09.2008 - 20:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Guest on 26.09.2008 at 19:30

Written by BloodTears on 17.06.2008 at 12:37

I totally agree, one of my favourite albums as well.

I've noticed you have a very good taste
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 7880 | This month: 16