02. Gift From The Gods
03. The Hunt For Vengeance
04. Crimnor Valora
05. Dainar's Last Rites
06. For Death & Glory
07. Screams Of Thunder
08. Where Sword, Axe And Bow Strike Together
09. The Butcher's Bill

In our next album, let's hire a graphic designer ok?

It was a year or a couple of years ago when I received a Demo from a band from Holland, named Thronar, they played "Battle Metal" and it was a worthy effort, but it failed to convince me.

So, a couple of years passed by, we all got older and hornier and these guys finally released their full-length debut under the banner of new record label Seven Kingdoms.
When I received the Cd I was completely astonished by the awful artwork that graces the Cd, the whole graphic layout it's quite mediocre, including the band photos with their Mel Gibson make-up (there's no proof that William Wallace used make-up for battle).

Funny story, a bottle of rum was poured accidentally on the Cd the same week I received it (it was me and my never-ending clumsiness -and drunkenness-), the booklet was soaking, and it was ok, because like I said, the artwork sucked, but to my surprise, when it was dry, the booklet looked so much better with all the wrinkles made by the rum, it was like an ancient parchment, not bad right?

Pointless story apart, I wasn't expecting that much from this band, until I heard the Cd. It was bombastic, powerful and aggressive at parts. I was hoping for a high-pitched voice screaming FREDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, but I got instead grunts and deep clean voices, alongside with some battlecries, not bad again right?

Think of Turisas meets Bal Sagoth, mix it with some thrashy riffs, ever-present keyboards and epic atmospheres and you got yourself a clear idea of how this might sound like. The album is catchy and has both aggressive and melodic elements, being the latter much more constant.

In the end, this is a nice album to hear once in a while, if you like the whole Epic Metal scene, if you like ugly-ass cover art & design, this is also for you. But seriously, maybe you ought to give a chance to this band, they have improved a lot since their Demo days, and if they keep this progression, I'm sure they'll be the next big thing in Epic Metal.

Written by Undercraft | 01.02.2006

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 49 users
17.06.2008 - 14:16
Rating: 10
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
yeh i heard this album recently, and today ive listened to heaps!! really good battle metal album looking forward to hearing to their new album...

good review... and yes the artwork is horrific...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
17.06.2008 - 15:31
VPeter

The cover of the new album looks even worse.
26.01.2010 - 03:48
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The only Thronar album I managed get a hand on is Unleash the Fire, and it's kinda good, but yes, the cover art is bad. Not worse than this one's, though...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.02.2010 - 16:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Thronar is one of the best of those "battle metal" bands around

and new album is even better
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.02.2011 - 19:15
Rating: 10
Hugoj33

This album is awesome