Metal Storm logo
Gothic Metal Palace - Festival Cancelled

According to the website of the Gothic Metal Palace which should take place in Zuidlaren, The Netherlands the 20 of June 2008, the festival is cancelled.

The following update was posted on the official website of the festival:

"Dear all,

Inspite of all our efforts to make this festival happen we simply cannot go through with it.

We tried everything we could with many commercials and live broadcasting on several national radiostations, ads in several newspapers and magasins and on websites, promotion over the internet and so on.

Nevertheless no more then 700 tickets are sold and that is far to little to make this happen.

We are very sorry that we have to cancel. This is so awful for you, for the bands and for all the people involved. For us it means one year of hard work with this result.

We really hope you understand that untill today we did everything we could. Of course your tickets will be refunded. We will inform you this week about that.

The organisation of Gothic Metal Palace."

Event: Gothic Metal Palace [CANCELLED]
Posted: 17.06.2008 by Jeff

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 13   Visited by: 103 users
17.06.2008 - 14:21
iaberis
Advice Troll
shit, too many festival cancelations...
metal ain't at its best these times...
----
Bitch! Please
17.06.2008 - 15:14
albatros

Shit, but I saw it coming yesterday, when they started to throw tickets out at half price. I wonder if they underestimated door sales and gave up too early. But the line up was too good to be true. It made any other Female Voices Fest blush.

Above all I wanted to see Autumn with the new singer and Elexorien with their wonderful female singer and frankly, I was looking forward to see Within Temptation, who despite their commercial success still are a wonderful band. Not to speak of Delain, Sephyros and I also was curious about Sirenia's new siren.

Oh Holy Dio, give me strength ... of course I bought an advance ticket.
17.06.2008 - 15:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
It's not really surprsing that a lot of festivals will have to cancel. There are just way too many festivals during the summe rperiod in Europe, and a fan can only spend his money once. So what will happen is the big names will survive and the ones with a different sort of line-up
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2008 - 16:23
wolfborn

Did they also finally realise that that they didn't have any gothic metal bands booked for the festival? Can't make a festival around Moonspell every year.
----
www.myspace.com/deathstyler
17.06.2008 - 16:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by wolfborn on 17.06.2008 at 16:23

Did they also finally realise that that they didn't have any gothic metal bands booked for the festival? Can't make a festival around Moonspell every year.

Moonspell? Moonspell wasn't booked.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2008 - 05:53
Talvi

What a shame
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
18.06.2008 - 08:04
Witcher

Sorry for all but im not sad:P
18.06.2008 - 09:47
wolfborn

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2008 at 16:35

Exactly! My point was that how can you make a "gothic metal" festival with todays bands selection at all . There are no enough gothic metal bands for that and none of them was booked to play this "gothic metal palace".

Instead, this festival should have been called atmospheric metal festival, or female voices in metal festival. It had nothing to do with gothic metal.
----
www.myspace.com/deathstyler
18.06.2008 - 13:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by wolfborn on 18.06.2008 at 09:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2008 at 16:35

Exactly! My point was that how can you make a "gothic metal" festival with todays bands selection at all . There are no enough gothic metal bands for that and none of them was booked to play this "gothic metal palace".

Instead, this festival should have been called atmospheric metal festival, or female voices in metal festival. It had nothing to do with gothic metal.

Considering Within Temptation easily draws around 10,000 people here in the Netherlands I think nthey were expecting that. They were gunning for 8,000 people I heard. But their problem is that this is the very first edition, there are too many festivals around this time of year, and IMO the biggest problem is that it is held in Zuidlaren which is very difficult to reach by public transport.
Addin Moonspell wouldn't have helped at all I think because Moonspell comes over so frigging often it is unbelievable. Looking at the line-up... most of these bands can be seen a couple of times a year here so that is a major negative factor. There were no exclusive crowd drawing acts present.

I agree that there weren's any gothic metal bands booked. But considering that most people DO call the bands that were gothic metal that shouldn't have been a problem.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2008 - 14:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Better canceled this how Dutch DOOM days, and moust poeple so overated wacken so ...
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.06.2008 - 20:24
albatros

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.06.2008 at 13:42

Considering Within Temptation easily draws around 10,000 people here in the Netherlands I think nthey were expecting that. They were gunning for 8,000 people I heard. But their problem is that this is the very first edition, there are too many festivals around this time of year, and IMO the biggest problem is that it is held in Zuidlaren which is very difficult to reach by public transport.
Addin Moonspell wouldn't have helped at all I think because Moonspell comes over so frigging often it is unbelievable. Looking at the line-up... most of these bands can be seen a couple of times a year here so that is a major negative factor. There were no exclusive crowd drawing acts present.

Thanks for your thoughts, Marcel. I think you summed up the main reasons for the failure.

I wonder how much weight has the point, that it was a first edition. So people can't say "I went to blabla famous festival". I wish I could find that out. The Battle Of Metal Festival 2006 in Germany was also a first time event with many good bands, popular and unknown alike and also drew just a small crowd of 2 000 at best with room for 10 000 in a picture perfect location.

Possibly it's not a good idea to start big.
19.06.2008 - 06:50
Chaosweaver

Too many festivals, hey? I wish we had that problem here in Australia...
28.06.2008 - 01:04
albatros

The last but one chapter of the story. The organizer admits, that they don't have enough money to refund the sold tickets. I'd written my money off already, but now we have it in writing.

Well, it will happen again.

Hits total: 3350 | This month: 5