04. Lord Of Childrens Dreams
05. Obey
06. Wrath Of The Insane
07. Emptiness
08. Thy Final Pain
09. Revenge For All
10. Speaking Through The Black Heart
11. Revelations Of Death

Now, what we have here is some fine piece of Death metal for you. Let me tell you from the start, the album "Epitaph" is a very solid and good Death metal record, and for several reasons. First of all you have to know that this is the very first material this new German band is releasing. Second good point is that, although being a self-released debut album, the production of this "Epitaph" entitled composition is very strong and virtually to die for. But more importantly, Thy Final Pain is a band that sounds very powerful and mature. I mean, not only does this outfit sounds simply smashing, the band is also mature in a way that the main band members know exactly what they're doing because they know exactly what they want: "massive rhythmic Death metal". And this can eventually be no surprise if you have a closer look at the band's background and antecedents.

That's right; the two masterminds behind this new Thy Final Pain project are former Debauchery guitarist Simon Dorn and bassist Marc Jüttner, who is also taking care of the vocal work nowadays. Although there are by times some clear similarities with the other aforementioned German Death metal band, it is at the same time very clear these two gentlemen are presenting their own vision of what Death metal is supposed to sound like. And it seems like that particular vision is quite interesting as the resulting album is really pulling out all the stops. Next to some classy grooves, especially the killer riffs (like the bulldozing riff on "Found Myself In Death") should get an accreditation for boiling up the atmosphere on this album. Like I said, the overall impression these guys are giving is one of professionalism and maturity. In fact this whole album breaths the air of authority and skill, and that's certainly admirably for a debut album.

Seriously, Thy Final Pain could be without a doubt your next big thing when it comes to solid, characterful Death metal, with a modern (as in contemporary) twist. Let me put it in another way, Thy Final Pain play their Death metal raw and uncut, but without losing sight of the necessary stylish final touch.
The only real problem going on with this album is the same problem I have with Debauchery actually. It's all fluent mid-paced Death metal with some dexterous tempo changes and variations, but still, near the end of the record you all kind of heard it already, and you're pretty much get tired of it. Bottom line: if this ever happens to be my final pain, let the pain be acute, rather than chronic. Only then the devilish pleasure would be all mine.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Thryce | 17.06.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 66 users
17.06.2008 - 15:40
Thryce
Retired Staff
Five full songs are available on the band's website for you listening pleasure. Be sure to check them out!
----
Your favorite band sucks.

Hits total: 5734 | This month: 19