Metal Storm logo
Yahoo's Latest Blasphemous Poll: The Top 25 Heavy Metal Bands Ever

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 21.06.2008 - 01:10
im sure you guys have all seen the blasphemy that was yahoo's top and bottom 25 hair metal bands of all time, now yahoo has come out with a new list sure to piss off everyone on this site. BEHOLDETH.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands

Discuss.
21.02.2012 - 15:12
@gent_-_orange

Written by lordchadi on 13.02.2012 at 00:06

He made a mistake he shouldnt say a list of "BEST HEAVY " metal bands he must say a list of " THE MOST FAMOUS "metal bands cause not all the 25 bands are playing heavy some of em play hard rock & others play trash or doom

He is obviously using "Heavy Metal" as an umbrella term to describe all genres.

I'm Surprised to see Meshuggah make the list and this list is quite good, and its fun to read some of the whining comments, I find it funny that metalheads keep saying "ZOMG keep it underground guys fuck the mainstream!" and then whine when only the biggest and most popular bands are mentioned on mainstream lists.
22.02.2012 - 00:34
Zombie94

Written by @gent_-_orange on 21.02.2012 at 15:12

Written by lordchadi on 13.02.2012 at 00:06

He made a mistake he shouldnt say a list of "BEST HEAVY " metal bands he must say a list of " THE MOST FAMOUS "metal bands cause not all the 25 bands are playing heavy some of em play hard rock & others play trash or doom

He is obviously using "Heavy Metal" as an umbrella term to describe all genres.

I'm Surprised to see Meshuggah make the list and this list is quite good, and its fun to read some of the whining comments, I find it funny that metalheads keep saying "ZOMG keep it underground guys fuck the mainstream!" and then whine when only the biggest and most popular bands are mentioned on mainstream lists.

If he is indeed using Heavy Metal to refer to Metal in general (as many do) then I would agree that this is a shit list as it completely ignores anything other than hard rock and heavy metal bands. And the dude from Procol Harlum is on the list? Just because some of the bands on the list were influences for the founding metal bands doesn't mean they are metal. So yeah, crappy list. Usually I don't care because it's just an opinion (within reason), but to put rock bands in a list of the all time greatest metal bands is just ignorant.

Also ironic that the author's intro talks about how bands that are not metal are being labelled as metal.
22.02.2012 - 04:08
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Guns N' Roses.......KISS.......Aerosmith.......

were they joking
29.02.2012 - 09:58
thewaytonever

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2008 at 15:30

Written by Damnated on 21.06.2008 at 15:28

lol @ jimi hendrix being in a heavy metal top 25.

And rightly so I should say, cause without him NO electric guitar playing as we know it. And at the time he was called heavy metal so... it still is, but then again the youth of today just love to be revisionists.

Yeah there is this guy named Chuck Berry who might have something to say about that
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
26.08.2013 - 04:36
RottingDeathHead
kingnothing_92@yahoo.com
Most of those guys are Classic Rock guys who don't even belong on that shameful list.
26.08.2013 - 20:10
God of shadows

It's sort of funny to see so many being worked up for this, it is just one man's opinion. Yes, he may need some homework on what's metal(or heavy metal, whatever you prefer), that I can agree with, but this is just... If you really are bringing this up as a discussion, why not make a thread where we all can tell our top 25 favourite metal bands? That I think would be more interesting and maybe more healthy food for thought.
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
28.08.2013 - 20:25
ADIresiduos

Most of the bands in the list are not entirely METAL; rock, prog, grunge..... all related in a way to metal but not quite metal.
Maybe if the title read: 25 most influential rock/metal bands, then I would agree with it.
29.08.2013 - 12:31
Merchant of Doom

Most of the bands are hard rock...
02.09.2013 - 01:34
Guib
Thrash Talker
Why people say MOST lol. You're all very funny. Yes okay maybe Jimi Hendrix and Guns N Roses are not exactly what you'd expect a Metal list to be but fuck... HE DID PUT Meshuggah, Kyuss, Pantera, Dio, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, Metallica and Slayer O.o are you guys on crack ? Really insulted by this ? And anyways since when Is Hard Rock not metal ? ... did I miss something ? Iron Maiden is Hard Rock for all I care... so is Scorpions O.o go get your pills guys, now. Or idk take a deep breath... and move on.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.09.2013 - 15:09
Jtbmetal123

Almosy half of those bands are not "Heavy Metal". They are hard rock. I think the list is incomplete and wrong considering they got the genre's wrong.
17.05.2014 - 16:49
RottingDeathHead
kingnothing_92@yahoo.com
If only the Yahoo! people had enough common sense to learn what genre of music all those bands play. Shame Shame, I know your name.
19.05.2014 - 08:37
toxx
Supreme being
I would say that a lot of the bands in the list should be recognized as the some of the greatest heavy metal bands. It's not that far off. Wouldn't really call it blasphemy I was expecting a list full of shit, based on the topic heading