Metal Storm logo
Yahoo's Latest Blasphemous Poll: The Top 25 Heavy Metal Bands Ever

21.06.2008 - 01:10
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
im sure you guys have all seen the blasphemy that was yahoo's top and bottom 25 hair metal bands of all time, now yahoo has come out with a new list sure to piss off everyone on this site. BEHOLDETH.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands

Discuss.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.06.2008 - 01:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The list has Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, and Slayer, so I'm happy.
21.06.2008 - 01:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
meh, the list is clearly one guy's opinion. he is as welcome to have his as you are yours. just the fact that Mercyful Fate got positive spin on Yahoo is entertaining to me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.06.2008 - 01:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mmm, just looked at the list and I don't see too many problems with it although Iron Maiden on 10 is a bit low even IMO.

But including Mercyful Fate makes up for that. BUt Metallica below Van Halen is a bit weird (I am talking about Metallica's first three's importance now)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2008 - 09:09
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i think the list is subpar IMO because there is the inclusion of definite nonmetal bands in then list. the influence of said nonmetal bands is undeniable of course, but in a list of "metal" bands i dont think they should be there, regardless of their influence.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.06.2008 - 10:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Thats americanazed top because WTF van Halen doing so hight I dislike his music, damn van Halen family shood stay in Amsterdam, maybe he played good music all life not only in firts album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.06.2008 - 10:36
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Who the hell made up this list, and on what criteria? I'm getting tired of these lists, most influential, worst, best... Just like those top lists on VH1, no contact with the real world. Some bloke thinks he's an expert, and comes up with something like this. Still, it's his right to say whatever he's thinking, and it's our right to criticize him...
----
21.06.2008 - 11:03
GT
Coffee!!
I don't really see a problem with this list...sure I don't agree on all positions and every band but he does have some of the big ones
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.06.2008 - 11:59
Hamird
Lieutenant
I think almost the 25 bands chose right, but sorting them is not right completely... Iron Maiden, Metallica must be in higher ranks, and of course Led Zeppelin is better than Black Sabbath imo. so as it's one person opinion and its not voting it's not a good source to rely on!
21.06.2008 - 12:05
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Why is Aerosmith on the list? And @Hamird is right, Maiden, Metallica should be in higher rankings, This is the the man's opinion, agree in some disagree in others.
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
21.06.2008 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The comments there are HILARIOUS.

But one thing that ALWAYS puzzles me when readin such lists is the mention of Spinal Tap on it.. I guess it is meant as a joke cause if it serious then we're really up shit creek since Spinal Tap is a non-existent band and have never existed either, the film was of course a mockumentary as was the album that was released.

Reading the guy's reasons on why picking the said 25 bands the following line caught my eye and made burst out in laughter when reading what he had to say on Thin Lizzy: But I'll still take someone who can write: "Jailbreak," "Cold Sweat," "Whiskey In The Jar" and "The Boys Are Back In Town." Thin Lizzy did NOT write "Whiskey In The Jar" hahahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2008 - 15:28
Damnated
Churchburner
omg, a list!! let's make a thread about it! don't visit Rate Your Music, because you'll be making threads 24/7 .

ps, lol @ jimi hendrix being in a heavy metal top 25.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.06.2008 - 15:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 21.06.2008 at 15:28

lol @ jimi hendrix being in a heavy metal top 25.

And rightly so I should say, cause without him NO electric guitar playing as we know it. And at the time he was called heavy metal so... it still is, but then again the youth of today just love to be revisionists.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2008 - 15:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2008 at 15:30

And rightly so I should say, cause without him NO electric guitar playing as we know it. And at the time he was called heavy metal so... it still is, but then again the youth of today just love to be revisionists.

true. he was a very influential guitar player. but i still don't see why should he be mentioned in a heavy metal top 25, as he played blues influenced rock'n'roll.

but maybe this bloke considers heavy metal to be a synonym for rock music, so i guess it's correct following some twisted logic..
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.06.2008 - 15:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 21.06.2008 at 15:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2008 at 15:30

true. he was a very influential guitar player. but i still don't see why should he be mentioned in a heavy metal top 25, as he played blues influenced rock'n'roll.

but maybe this bloke considers heavy metal to be a synonym for rock music, so i guess it's correct following some twisted logic..

Then again metal is actually blues influenced only later did the classical music and folk music influences etc seep into it.

And Hendrix has every right to be in that list just like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Kiss, etc. cause they were ALL metal back when they released stuff, thus making them still to be metal currently (like I said earlier)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2008 - 17:04
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2008 at 15:47

Then again metal is actually blues influenced only later did the classical music and folk music influences etc seep into it.

And Hendrix has every right to be in that list just like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Kiss, etc. cause they were ALL metal back when they released stuff, thus making them still to be metal currently (like I said earlier)

back in the 60s when music wasn't as diverse as it is now, when there weren't as many subgenres and genres there are now, i can understand. (just for the record, who considered jimi's music heavy metal? or is it some kind of a rule to label everything that came out in the 60s heavy metal?). but by today's standards, or even by the 1980s standards, jimi hendrix was not and is not heavy metal.
----

21.06.2008 - 23:04
Charly546

Actually that list isn't THAT bad. They could definitely do worse. I think they should have called the list "TOP 25 hard rock/heavy metal bands", then my impression would have been better. This list is most likely some 40-60 years old guys TOP 25 favourite bands he used to listen "back in his days".

But there were still some serious WTF moments, such as the inclusion of Meshuggah; and of course, the comments.
21.06.2008 - 23:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think it's pretty good actually. Many of my favourite bands are there (Rush, wohoo!).
----
22.06.2008 - 00:14
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
While I have to agree with many of the picks on there, some of them seem odd to me. Why Meshuggah and not Dream Theater? Why Aeorsmith and not Cream? I was very happy to see Robin Trower on there. Finally someone else who recognizes how important he was.
----
(space for rent)
22.06.2008 - 02:30
selken
Irreligious
Theres no way we can deal with those ignorants, its a waste of time xD
lets get back to listen our good-ol records and forget about that damn motherfucking piece of putrid shit of dumbass page xD xD
----
22.06.2008 - 06:57
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by selken on 22.06.2008 at 02:30

Theres no way we can deal with those ignorants, its a waste of time xD
lets get back to listen our good-ol records and forget about that damn motherfucking piece of putrid shit of dumbass page xD xD

i wholeheartedly agree.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

22.06.2008 - 13:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Iron Maiden should be first...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.06.2008 - 14:04
LilMariah
Account deleted
Same here..
22.06.2008 - 14:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 22.06.2008 at 13:18

Iron Maiden should be first...

And why should they be? Just because they are your favourite band?

Guess what... this list is the opinion of one guy. Ask 10,000 people to compile a list of 25 bands they think are the best and you'll 10,000 different lists with a lot of different bands on 1 or even in the list itself.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.06.2008 - 15:14
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.06.2008 at 14:42

Guess what... this list is the opinion of one guy.

that's right, so why are we discussing this? i mean it's not even a bad list. thread should be locked tbh.
----

22.06.2008 - 15:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 22.06.2008 at 15:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.06.2008 at 14:42

Guess what... this list is the opinion of one guy.

that's right, so why are we discussing this? i mean it's not even a bad list. thread should be locked tbh.

Naah, keep it open I want to see people cry about the fact that their favourite bands should be higher etc.

But like you said this list isn't bad at all. IMO it is one of the best lists around. But then again there is unfortunately no objective of measuring the best metal bands or even the moist influential ones. I think it is a good thing that that is not possible or else list will be very boring and we wouldn't have anything to bitch about
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.06.2008 - 15:56
Stalker
Lone wanderer
The list it self isnt that bad, there are most of major bands included, ok, also some non metal, but heh... The thing is, if you read the explanations of bands like for instance, Iron Maiden ' Oh my good did they look funny in those pants.. almost as good as Spinal Tap (?!?)...' ... then it becomes scary...
----
22.06.2008 - 21:23
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
What the fuck is Rush, Spinal Tap and Aerosmith doing on that list...
22.06.2008 - 21:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
peace, bro...it was just a suggestion

but anyway - Iron Maiden got me to the metal and i believe thousands other people can say the same...i think there arent too much same metal bands
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.06.2008 - 06:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
of note the thread suggests it's a poll. it's not. it's one guy's opinion. i can guarantee you NOONE posting on this thread could make a top 25 metal bands that the rest of us would agree with.

frankly, continue overreacting...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!