Metal Storm logo
Yahoo's Latest Blasphemous Poll: The Top 25 Heavy Metal Bands Ever

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 21.06.2008 - 01:10
im sure you guys have all seen the blasphemy that was yahoo's top and bottom 25 hair metal bands of all time, now yahoo has come out with a new list sure to piss off everyone on this site. BEHOLDETH.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands

Discuss.
27.06.2008 - 16:32
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
I like that he included Aerosmith-- and I agree with what he said about them. They have some awesome guitar tunes that definitely influenced later riffs and solo's and stuff. I swear I remember hearing metallica once said Aerosmith was their biggest influence...(?)
27.06.2008 - 23:53
Remus

Icewings is right - by mainstream standards the list is conceived quite well actually. I agree with most of it.

The funniest thing about it though is the comments posted by all those yahooers: "hey you forgot marlyn manson" or "c'mon where's slipknot?". Man those crack me up!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.07.2008 - 00:07
Gordon Freeman

The article may have been misinformed...but it seemed well meaning. It seemed to me that the author believed what he was writing and that's the most important thing in any editorial.

The comments under the article were the most annoying thing about the article in my mind. Whenever some one says "Where is 'X-Band', 'Y-Band', or 'Z-Band..." in response to a list of bands in an opinion piece it makes me want to punch babies...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
03.07.2008 - 07:39
Haightredy

It was quite abvious Black Sabbath would be #1. But I was quite surprised that Yahoo even put Meshuggah on the list. Aside from that, some of these bands I don't even consider Metal. When I hear a Top 25 Metal Bands list, I expect it to be True Metal, writen by a true Metalhead.
03.07.2008 - 22:38
Gordon Freeman

Written by Haightredy on 03.07.2008 at 07:39

When I hear a Top 25 Metal Bands list, I expect it to be True Metal, writen by a true Metalhead.

When you see the words Yahoo! you should consider that your disclaimer that they just asked around the office to see if anyone listened to anything remotely like a heavy metal band and had that person write the article.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

04.07.2008 - 07:22
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Gordon Freeman on 03.07.2008 at 22:38

When I hear a Top 25 Metal Bands list, I expect it to be True Metal, writen by a true Metalhead.

When you see the words Yahoo! you should consider that your disclaimer that they just asked around the office to see if anyone listened to anything remotely like a heavy metal band and had that person write the article.

regardless of whoever makes the list, the point is, its supposed to be a METAL list. not people who influenced it, even though thats technically what the list is about
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
04.07.2008 - 07:44
slayer_pwns
Account deleted
i agree
hendrix is one of my fukin idols but cmon
hendrix metal???
04.07.2008 - 18:00
Gordon Freeman

Written by LeChron James on 04.07.2008 at 07:22

Written by Gordon Freeman on 03.07.2008 at 22:38

regardless of whoever makes the list, the point is, its supposed to be a METAL list. not people who influenced it, even though thats technically what the list is about

I'm just saying that if you read the Yahoo forums and articles looking for a competant discussion on metal then you are setting yourself up for dissapointment.
----

05.07.2008 - 19:08
Timelord

What I wanna know is where did this geek hear about Mercyful Fate. I mean for somebody talking about Robin Trower,Rush and Van Halen where the fuck did King Diamond come into the conversation. Venom JUST missed his list too. What a joke!!
05.07.2008 - 22:40
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 27.06.2008 at 23:53

Icewings is right - by mainstream standards the list is conceived quite well actually. I agree with most of it.

The funniest thing about it though is the comments posted by all those yahooers: "hey you forgot marlyn manson" or "c'mon where's slipknot?". Man those crack me up!

Hahaha I agree with you, those comments made me laugh. Maiden number 10 and Mercyful Fate #23 or whatever it was is complete bullshit. What a god awful list, we should find this guy and kill him
10.07.2008 - 02:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 05.07.2008 at 22:40

. What a god awful list, we should find this guy and kill him

there's a nice, well thought out adult response to a disagreement in opinions.

oh, do please list your Top 25 bands. i am eager to read your list. and can we enact lethal vengeance upon you if we disagree with your list? that is, after all, the answer to the questions "WWMVD?"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.07.2008 - 03:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Timelord: So you're a geek if you listen to Rush and Van Halen?
14.07.2008 - 22:46
Gordon Freeman

Written by Guest on 10.07.2008 at 03:49

@Timelord: So you're a geek if you listen to Rush and Van Halen?

Well...yeah.

...not that there is anything wrong with that but...just saying...
----

15.07.2008 - 08:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well, as always some shit is wrong in there but Sabbath on no. 1 is good, and Maiden should have been at least no. 3, but whatever

also, Aerosmith, Hendrix and Alice in Chains at least(maybe GnR and Ac/Dc) aren't really 'heavy' enough to be on the list..
16.07.2008 - 00:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Alice in Chains is definitely metal, and much heavier than Iron Maiden.
17.07.2008 - 04:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
The comments underneath the poll are pretty ironic and funny "This guy is such a f*cking poser! Wheres the Slipknot and Cradle Of Filth?!" as if either of those bands have had a big impact on metal.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.07.2008 - 08:40
HELL-ME
Account deleted
Well... I think tha he tried to mention the influencing bands... I think he's totally right about Pantera and judas priest And even kiss... The rest of the list is a total fucking mess... But Aero Smith is a metal band???
This guy is a very good god-damn Bulshitter !!!
31.07.2008 - 21:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
That was probably the best mainstream "heavy metal" poll I have ever seen... not entirely accurate but fairly close, and the comments were indeed hilarious.
31.07.2008 - 23:58
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Aerosmith? Alice in chains? Jimmy Hendrix? Deep Purple?
Damn, as a guy in teh site wrote, Yahoo needs a real metalhead to write those things.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
10.08.2008 - 08:51
Evican
Ann O'War
The only good thing about that list is Meshuggah. However, how did Meshuggah make it on that list instead of say Opeth?

Ludicrous, but what more can you expect from Yahoo?
10.08.2008 - 09:28
Oracle
Orcinus
That list wasnt that great. i mean they had a few bands like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Mercyful Fate etc but i wouldnt call half those bands in that list metal.
11.08.2008 - 07:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
everyone bitching about someone else's list - here's an idea. Post your own list of "25 performing outfits who have made Heavy Metal what it is." let's see if YOUR list holds to the same level of scrutiny as his.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.08.2008 - 14:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.08.2008 at 14:15

Written by BitterCOld on 11.08.2008 at 07:33

everyone bitching about someone else's list - here's an idea. Post your own list of "25 performing outfits who have made Heavy Metal what it is." let's see if YOUR list holds to the same level of scrutiny as his.

Most of us already did, it's on our profiles under "Favorite bands".

Since when did any of the following Nevermore, Mercenary, Rammstein, Ozzy Osbourne, Django Reinhardt, The Beatles, Black Label Society, Devin Townsend, Dog Fashion Disco, Edguy, Frank Zappa, Machinae Supremacy, Moonspell, Opeth, Rob Zombie, Witchery, The Monolith Deathcult

make metal what it is?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2008 - 15:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.08.2008 at 14:30

Also, there's a reason metalstorm awards are held by vote instead of having a learned representative of the site say "Here it is! The end all list of great metal bands!".

Seeing a lot of the results I would prefer it that way instead but we're already moving towards that sort of Metalstorm Awards since we nominate what WE deem the ten best of a genre

Written by Guest on 11.08.2008 at 14:30

Yahoo should have held a vote and then let that guy write about the bands the majority chose.

I disagree because then what we'll get to see is a CURRENTLY most popular sort of list instead of a most influential list since a lot of people would vote Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and those sorts of bands (just read the comments) plus a lot of youngsters seem to dismiss the OLD heavy metal bands as pure (hard) rock nowadays whereas they were seen as heavy metal back in the day, so making them still heavy metal. Youngsters (that is MOST people under 25) are somehow the
close-minded and revisionist people around when it comes to what is a heavy metal band and what isn't.

I disagree
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2008 - 20:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 11.08.2008 at 14:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2008 at 14:16

Written by Guest on 11.08.2008 at 14:15

Written by BitterCOld on 11.08.2008 at 07:33

Most of us already did, it's on our profiles under "Favorite bands".

Since when did any of the following Nevermore, Mercenary, Rammstein, Ozzy Osbourne, Django Reinhardt, The Beatles, Black Label Society, Devin Townsend, Dog Fashion Disco, Edguy, Frank Zappa, Machinae Supremacy, Moonspell, Opeth, Rob Zombie, Witchery, The Monolith Deathcult

make metal what it is?

Hahaha, I geuss that answers the "How does my list hold up under scrutiny" question.

Come on you know what I'm saying. Nobody's single opinion can be a reliable source for the top bands of all time.

DUDE! YOU SUCK! WUT ABOUT SLIPKNOT!?! DREAM THEATER!? DJANGO ISN'T METAL! I SAY WE FIND THIS GUY AND KILL HIM!!!11!1!!One11!uno!!!Raz!!111!$(

/end sarcasm.

The Yahoo! thread was just one guy's list. And his own goal was to list "25 performing outfits who have helped make Heavy Metal what it is"... I don't see "top" on there anywhere.

This thread is just full of mindless whining from people looking to criticize dude's list when each and every one of us would probably shred the list of the posters above and below us as well. It's a matter of opinion.
----

11.08.2008 - 23:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Quote:
Written by Guest on 11.08.2008 at 22:24

DUDE! YOU SUCK! WUT ABOUT SLIPKNOT!?! DREAM THEATER!? DJANGO ISN'T METAL! I SAY WE FIND THIS GUY AND KILL HIM!!!11!1!!One11!uno!!!Raz!!111!$(

/end sarcasm.

The Yahoo! thread was just one guy's list. And his own goal was to list "25 performing outfits who have helped make Heavy Metal what it is"... I don't see "top" on there anywhere.

This thread is just full of mindless whining from people looking to criticize dude's list when each and every one of us would probably shred the list of the posters above and below us as well. It's a matter of opinion.

I see "Top" in the name of this thread....and you know what that guy calls his list? "The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands". Key word "Best", wich means about the same as "Top". And you know what this thread is for? Well, judging by the word "Blasphemous" in the title, I'd say this thread is for ripping on this guy's terrible list, so everybody here is completely in line except you.

Our personal favorites aren't the topic here, they're just support for how we judge Yahoo's blasphemy.

and i pulled the quote from the bottom of his opening - right before he lists the bands.

you are welcome to spout off all you like about his list. i'll be content to point out that many of the people overreacting here are simply no better than the "ZOMG YOU FORGOT SLIPKNOT!" or "ZOMG YOU LEFT OFF PRIEST!" folks on the Yahoo! forum.

after seeing metalheads get their panties in a wad each and every time some more mainstream mass-media outlet attempts to cover the subject (this yahoo entry, VH-1's "heavy", etc) i've decided i'm going to take the children to task.

if you want to whine and bitch about someone else's list, i see nothing wrong with being asked to provide your own to see if you can do better.

"everybody here is completely in line except you."

welcome to the herd. bah!
----

12.08.2008 - 05:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.08.2008 at 22:24

....so everybody here is completely in line except you.

Not true... I am with BitterCOld on this one.

And your statement just proves the herd metality of metallers and the revisionist thinking which is rampant amongst the ones under 25. Those so-called metallers have no idea about the history of metal they prove once again. Yes, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Kiss etc. all are members of the heavy metal family, no matter what you kids say nowadays. You CAN'T change history.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2008 - 20:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 12.08.2008 at 11:37

Give us kids a break. We can't help how old we are, just how old we act.

Why? As you pointed out - we cannot influence how old you are, but we can influence how old you act.

I think my goals coincide with Marcel's in this - increased quality of discussion and sharing of ideas. When the younger generation storm onto this forum thinking they know it all it's particularly annoying. Doubly so when they are either wrong or horribly revisionist. Even further maddening when they dispute people who actually lived through and were metal fans during said history.

The trashing of this list, to me, is that childish mentality in action.

For starters, it's Yahoo!, so what did they expect?

Second, the entire approach was bent on assaulting the list. Not a "check out this list", but "ZOMG BLASPHEMY! CASTIGATE! CASTIGATE!" - I still stand by my assessment that many of the people on this thread reacted no better than the kiddies on the Yahoo! thread - the "SLIPKNOT!" crowd that many of the posters here go out of their way to insult - which I find utterly hilarious.

While I agree with some of his placements, I disagree with others. Hell, he mentioned Mercyful Fate, FFS... that alone means you should cut the guy a little slack.

And I also still stand by my statement - if you are going to rip another guy's "25" list, post your own. Prove you can do better.
----

27.07.2009 - 00:32
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I think as a list of influenctial artists to the development of metal this guy has done a pretty resonable job. Yes he may have mentioned a few of the bands that forged the extreme scene as it is today but he mentions bands that have had a big impact from the 70s onwards, these are the basis of metal and the ones who forged it. I also think the guy may have added a few of his personnal favorites to the list, but then again, how many people possess the objectivity not to. The problem with to many people is they want to see their favorites everywhere and instantly attack anyone who doesn't mention them.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
27.07.2009 - 02:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Norm on 26.07.2009 at 23:28

That list is a joke.

He might as well posted a blog that said:

FUCK DEATH
FUCK MEGADETH
FUCK ATHEIST
FUCK OPETH
FUCK CANDLEMASS
FUCK BLIND GUARDIAN
FUCK AT THE GATES
FUCK IN FLAMES
FUCK DARK TRANQUILLITY
FUCK MANOWAR
FUCK CARCASS
FUCK MORBID ANGEL
FUCK OVERKILL
FUCK POSSESSED
FUCK OBITUARY
FUCK SEPULTURA
FUCK VENOM
FUCK VADER

My fucking your list relly is worse than the Yahoo guy's since he at least had influential bands on it whereas most of yours are just followers.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996