02. La Ultima Visita De Grendel
03. Por Tu Santo Amor
04. Su Sangre Es Mia
05. Exorcista
06. De La Mano De La Muerte
07. En El Bosque... Esta Noche
08. Aguila De Sangre
09. Anibal

Dantesco seems to be the most famous band from Puerto Rico but I have to admit that this is the first time that I hear something about them. It's never easy anyway to become famous when you come from really exotic Metal countries unfortunately but now , the band is signed on Cruz Del Sur and they will probably have the chance to become a bit more famous? if you like their music of course?

Dantesco plays Epic Doom Metal a genre that I particularly like in general and their new album, "Pagano", is clearly into this musical category. The band uses to play music with heavy riffs which can be compared to Black Sabbath or even Cathedral but the vocals, in Spanish, are also really theatrical. The problem with this release is that "Pagano" is a bit monotonous and finally too classic and not original to clearly catch a lot of fans. The structures are really simple the melodies are not so catchy and sorry to say that but the performance of Erico La Bestia is some time, especially with his really high volcas, just ridiculous. Dantesco is not particularly a bad band but they're classic as hell and only some few fans of Epic Doom will find a small interest in this release.

On the other hand the production of the release is really good and the cover is a good representation of the spirit of the album. The musicians are not bad but of course Epic Doom Metal is not technical Prog too and because the songs are not really complex it's hard to miss something anyway. At least the album is well interpreted even if I still can't stand the high pitched vocals of the singer which, mixed to Spanish (a language that I like for Metal in general) lyrics sound really cheap?

Unfortunately for Dantesco the album is too simple to really be attractive. Too bad some passages, especially the acoustic ones with Spanish sonorities are not bad at all but all in all there is nothing special in this album, this is just average Epic Doom which is simply not magic. Some people will maybe find some kind of interest in "Pagano" but the majority of the listeners will simply forget the release, not because it's terrible (we never forget such releases) but because it's simply flat and finally average?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 18.06.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 39 users
21.06.2008 - 07:29
SW @ wtf w/HELL
Account deleted
Didn't know these guys had a new album... really liked De La Mano De La Muerte, though...

Hits total: 5469 | This month: 5