Metal Storm logo
Cryptopsy

Original post

Posted by LethargyMan, 23.06.2006 - 05:18
I'm suprised this hasn't been made yet...

Founded in 1988, Cryptopsy grew to become one of today's biggest leaders in today's technical death metal scene. Their singer, Lord Worm, is certainly one of the most notable aspects of the band, whose voice sounds almost strained, yet still powerful. Cryptopsy's music is very fast and aggressive, made stronger by their liberal use of time-changes and the intense drumming of Flo Mounier, who gives all of their songs a very prevalent percussive feel. This lineup released two albums, Blasphemy Made Flesh and their groundbreaking album None so Vile.

After 1996, Lord Worm left the band for his own ambitions as a teacher, and was replaced by Mike DiSalvo. His vocal style was very different from that of his predecessor, taking on a more -core style. His first album as singer was Whisper Supremacy. While many people were turned off by this dramatic change, DiSalvo was indeed a very aggressive vocalist. After the release of the band's fourth album, And then You'll Beg... DiSalvo quit in 2001 to pursue a family life.

After a brief stint with Martain Lacroix as vocals (who can be heard on the album None so Live), Lord Worm finally returned as lead singer on Cryptopsy's latest album, Once was Not. The band is now touring Europe to promote the album.

The first Cryptopsy album I heard was And then You'll Beg, and I loved it, so I suppose I like DiSalvo a bit more than some other Cryptopsy fans... of course, I now prefer Lord Worm.

Any other fans?
05.12.2007 - 05:03
Eternal Flames

Written by Dangerboner on 08.11.2007 at 07:56

I read on MA that the lead singer of 3 Mile Scream will be the new vocalist for Cryptopsy.

WHAT THE FUCK

Looks like you're right. They announced Matt from 3 Mile Scream as their new vocalist and they've added a keyboardist/samplist to their lineup as well.

It'll be interesting to see in which direction their upcoming material goes. Personally, I don't find Matt's hardcore-like vocals very appealing.
05.12.2007 - 12:39
Philaenas
Account deleted
I just keep listening to "None So Vile" and "Blasphemy Made Flesh", both friggin' masterpieces! We'll see what the future brings with this screamo singing dude.
14.03.2008 - 14:24
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I hope that the new songs by Cryptopsy are just a joke. Seriously, those songs are complete failures. They suck in every way
14.03.2008 - 16:03
Baz Anderson

I can't wait to hear this new Cryptopsy... it shall be interesting. from what I have heard, it is BAD - so I am not exactly expecting album of the year material. hahaha
14.03.2008 - 17:12
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Baz Anderson on 14.03.2008 at 16:03

I can't wait to hear this new Cryptopsy... it shall be interesting. from what I have heard, it is BAD - so I am not exactly expecting album of the year material. hahaha

You heard those two new songs that leaked? (Bemoan The Martyr and Resurgence Of An Empire)?
14.03.2008 - 17:13
Baz Anderson

Written by Unconsecrated on 14.03.2008 at 17:12

You heard those two new songs that leaked? (Bemoan The Martyr and Resurgence Of An Empire)?

nope, I haven't I am afraid
14.03.2008 - 17:16
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Baz Anderson on 14.03.2008 at 17:13

Written by Unconsecrated on 14.03.2008 at 17:12

nope, I haven't I am afraid

Seriously, when you hear those songs your enthusiasm will quickly disappear because they're horrible.
14.03.2008 - 17:18
Baz Anderson

I think I will wait until I can hear the whole album properly as apposed to judging it on two songs. I just hope they let Flo do his thing. hahaha
15.03.2008 - 00:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I haven't heard the new tracks yet, but I remember right before Once Was Not came out and everyone started freaking out about how bad that one promo track was with the clean vocals (can't remember the name atm). But, it turned out to be my favorite Cryptopsy album so I'm still going to give them a chance.

I'm going to wait until they make it official on their MySpace or somewhere before I check out their new songs. I was reading a metal-archives board and some people were doubting that those songs were actually real.
15.03.2008 - 01:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to somewhere I could hear those songs?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.03.2008 - 01:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 15.03.2008 at 01:06

Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to somewhere I could hear those songs?

Here you go http://www.zshare.net/audio/87690147be130e/ for Bemoan The Martyr

and

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8769288b130406/
for Resurgence of an Empire
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2008 - 01:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2008 at 01:24

and

I really hope thats a hoax, because those are absolute crap, the start of 'Resurgence of an Empire' sounded ok but then went downhill, that 'Bemoan the Martyr' cannot be Cryptopsy...please for the love of god no!
----
- George Carlin
15.03.2008 - 02:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 15.03.2008 at 01:58

and

I really hope thats a hoax, because those are absolute crap, the start of 'Resurgence of an Empire' sounded ok but then went downhill, that 'Bemoan the Martyr' cannot be Cryptopsy...please for the love of god no!

I hope not either, but those links are from a very very reliable source, who usually gets the stuff delivered. So let's pray that this is his only mistake ever.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2008 - 02:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2008 at 02:03

Written by Doc G. on 15.03.2008 at 01:58

and

I hope not either, but those links are from a very very reliable source, who usually gets the stuff delivered. So let's pray that this is his only mistake ever.

Yeah, but if it is true, I think we can all guess what Biggest Disappointment 2008 category will go to.
----
- George Carlin
15.03.2008 - 02:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I had to turn it off within 47 seconds. I just hope those songs don't make it to the final album. I blindly bought every Cryptopsy album because I knew they would be quality, but I think I'm going to download the new one before I buy it....if I buy it.

I hate that singing faggot so much...
15.03.2008 - 02:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Bemoan The Martyr might be tolerable if it wasn't Cryptopsy, when I buy a Cryptopsy album thats not what I want to hear.
----
- George Carlin
15.03.2008 - 06:42
Eternal Flames

Bemoan The Martyr sounded horrible. Very boring and uninspiring. Found it really hard to believe that it was Cryptopsy, if it actually even is.

Resurgence of an Empire was a bit better, but still nothing amazing. I really don't like the vocals, especially the higher pitched screams.
15.03.2008 - 13:03
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Mike Disalvo era Cryptopsy is really fuckin' bad. I like Lord Worm era obviously but have never been a big fan of Cryptopsy in general. I like Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile being good 90's era Death Metal. Once Was Not I didnt find to good, quite pathetic really.
15.03.2008 - 16:00
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Anyway what was their idea by choosing a vocalist that was in a metalcore band?
15.03.2008 - 18:17
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Oh this is bad, if these songs are actually going to be put in their new record we can say farewell to Cryptopsy brutal death metal era as long as this curse (the new vocalist) is present in the band. Bemoan the Martyr is an embarrassment, Resurgance is a little better, but nothing to look forward to.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
15.03.2008 - 21:03
Baz Anderson

oh wow, these tracks are... interesting.
I don't believe a band could turn around from being as brutal of a death metal as Cryptopsy were to this... could they?
haha, I hope not!!!
15.03.2008 - 23:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm just hoping they're demos that weren't good enough to make the final album, because those songs are way too generic to be Cryptopsy. Have I mentioned how much I hate that singing faggot?
16.03.2008 - 04:27
Stigmatized
Those songs sound like they were written and performed by an entirely different band.
16.03.2008 - 05:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
LMAO if you check their last.fm page and their guest book on their official site you'll see pages and pages of people bitching about the new songs. There's currently 8 or 9 pages of straight bitching. I hope the singing faggot reads them.

And yes, I know it's not entirely the singing faggot's fault that he sucks because he's just doing what they're telling him to do, but I can still hate him, right?
16.03.2008 - 15:17
Baz Anderson

hahaha, I thought I would stick my boot in a bit and give them a little message on their guestbook

really, even when a band does change slightly towards an unfavourable sound I can still say "ok, well I won't bitch out it, I'll just not put so much of an effort into listening to the new stuff" - but seriously.. with this I am actually bloody pissed off and I want them to know what a stupid thing they have done.. I have no sympathy for them reading all these comments on the internet at all
16.03.2008 - 15:55
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I don't think it's a hoax. That sure does sound like Flo drumming. Wonder what the hell he's doing with those people.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
16.03.2008 - 18:56
ß
Problem?
Those 2 songs were complete shit.. Especially the vocals wtf were they thinking?.If thats what the rest of the cd is going to sound like say goodbye to old Cryptopsy
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
16.03.2008 - 19:24
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I had so much honor to be a fan of Cryptopsy in the past ... they raised the bar of intensity and brutality, they were a fucking force to be reckoned with. I'm really disapointed in what they've done, there is no respect owed to them for this shit, only hate, they're no longer representative of Quebec, they will make history in metal, in a very bad way. They should just change their name.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
16.03.2008 - 20:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Dangerboner on 16.03.2008 at 05:16

LMAO if you check their last.fm page and their guest book on their official site you'll see pages and pages of people bitching about the new songs. There's currently 8 or 9 pages of straight bitching. I hope the singing faggot reads them.

And yes, I know it's not entirely the singing faggot's fault that he sucks because he's just doing what they're telling him to do, but I can still hate him, right?

Perhaps the whole band will read them...then possibly reconsider this new sound they have?
----
- George Carlin
17.03.2008 - 01:15
Deadsoulman

Ouch... I was wondering what you guys were bitching about, thinking you might be a bit hard on Cryptopsy and you're just whining for the sake of whining... Then I heard those two songs. If pyroleprechaun wants to open a hateclub for that singing guy, I'm in. I'm usually quite happy when a band change their sound and I've never really been a fan of Cryptopsy in the first place. But this is just going way beyond the frontiers of bad. This shit sounds like a teenage hardcore garage band with a good drummer. And that whining at the beginning of Bemoan The Martyr... I seriously hope they're not going to release this thing.