Metal Storm logo
Finntroll

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 06:10
Currently listening to the album Nattfödd; and aren't these guys great?

Finntroll are a Finnish band with vocals in Swedish; they combine metal and traditional Finnish humppa (polka). Their lyrics are generally about trolls and trollish activities--such as beer-drinking and casual violence, like massacring Christians.

The band has gone through quite a few trials, among them, the guitarist Somnium either falling or jumping off of a bridge and meeting his death, and the original vocalist Katla's early retirement due to a tumor in his throat which rendered him unable to sing. Recently, Wilska, the vocalist who followed in Katla's footsteps, has been fired from the band, and a Mathias Lillmåns hired in his place.

Anyway, let further Finntroll discussion begin!
14.10.2007 - 12:57
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
A nine-minute video interview with Mathias Lillmåns (a.k.a. Vreth) conducted by The Dude Von Doom can be viewed at this location.
14.10.2007 - 23:35
Susan
Smeghead
Thanks for posting that!

Man oh man oh man! Finntroll put on a great show in my city last week during their N. American tour. I'm still pumped I was near the front and most of the guys had great energy to give the crowd who were more than happy to give it right back. We were all packed in so tightly yet still made room to dance and bounce to the music. I had a blast but I must admit I was expecting a bit more from the band. I've never seen a Viking Metal band live and was expecting more of a "show" than just a band coming out with some good energy. Another drawback: their keyboardist has ZERO stage presence; the dude just stands there. Still, the rest of the band (especially the vocalist) made up for it and I am so glad I went! The new and old songs fit together well in the set and made for a memorable evening of metal music!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
19.10.2007 - 13:11
Fuath

yeh i think seeing them live would be awesome, this was probably mentioned before; but i think that a mosh pit would be rather funny, everyone head banging, then next minute theyr all dancing round like lunatics, but yes, one of my most favourite bands by far, have very nice use of percussion and riffs to create a very folky feel to their music
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

20.10.2007 - 03:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Susan on 14.10.2007 at 23:35

Thanks for posting that!

Man oh man oh man! Finntroll put on a great show in my city last week during their N. American tour. I'm still pumped I was near the front and most of the guys had great energy to give the crowd who were more than happy to give it right back. We were all packed in so tightly yet still made room to dance and bounce to the music. I had a blast but I must admit I was expecting a bit more from the band. I've never seen a Viking Metal band live and was expecting more of a "show" than just a band coming out with some good energy. Another drawback: their keyboardist has ZERO stage presence; the dude just stands there. Still, the rest of the band (especially the vocalist) made up for it and I am so glad I went! The new and old songs fit together well in the set and made for a memorable evening of metal music!

Who was opening? because I know a band from my hometown was opening for them on a 1 or 2 dates not long ago.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.11.2007 - 18:05
Finicella
Account deleted
One of my worst experiences was seeing them live. It was totally crowded and everyone danced without taking care. It was just crazy.
I wouldn't want to see them live again, but I like them though.
05.01.2008 - 18:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 27.11.2007 at 18:05

One of my worst experiences was seeing them live. It was totally crowded and everyone danced without taking care. It was just crazy.

For me.. That sound perfect.
It can't be fun if all the guys just see the show... staring the stage.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.01.2008 - 18:34
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I like Finntroll, but they're not my favorite folk metal band. Alot of their songs really get me going, and they know how to make troll music . But i personally have more interest for bands like Thyrfing, Moonsorrow and Ensiferum. Nonetheless, Finntroll rocks !:metal:
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
08.01.2008 - 07:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.01.2008 at 18:19

Written by Guest on 27.11.2007 at 18:05

For me.. That sound perfect.
It can't be fun if all the guys just see the show... staring the stage.

Agreed, one of the great parts of going to a concert is the crowd atmosphere. If the crowd isnt getting into it, then it doesnt always show the band in a good light.
----
- George Carlin
09.01.2008 - 19:44
Iceland_Norway

I like Finntroll, I knew them listening the album Nattfodd and Them I bought the Last one and Acoustic album to listen to what they played as acoustic version.

I prefer Myrkgrav, Metsatoll, Myrkvar, Oort, Korpiklaani and Tyr.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
25.03.2008 - 15:32
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
they genuinely kick so much ass
25.03.2008 - 18:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Such a shame that I can't stand the album with the new vocalist...
The only good song is "En Mäktig Här" but.. that's anyway a fucking awesome song...

The three first albums were much better IMO...
even Middnatens Widunder is better.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.03.2008 - 20:04
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Mr. Doctor: yeah I don't care for the new vocalist either
25.03.2008 - 20:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Jejje same here...

And I loved Katla's vocal.. maybe that's why my favorite songs are from the first and second album.
One question....

Anyone have something to say about "Visor Om Slutet"?
I don't see comments about it... I don't thing that the fans see that album as "the black sheep" but no one talk about it xD...
It's like a silence moment I gues... It's quite good, great atmosphere anyway.
"Försvinn du Som Lyser" ... that's the perfect song for a beer.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.03.2008 - 15:31
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Visor Om Slutet is an okay album. It has a few good songs on it. I've heard that "Försvinn du Som Lyser" was redone into a heavier song on the Trollhammaren EP , I must hear it.
26.03.2008 - 16:14
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Guest on 26.03.2008 at 15:31

Visor Om Slutet is an okay album. It has a few good songs on it. I've heard that "Försvinn du Som Lyser" was redone into a heavier song on the Trollhammaren EP , I must hear it.

Yes it is, and its done pretty well. Both versions are pretty good. And the whole album isnt bad, it has some memorable moments.
----
26.03.2008 - 19:15
GT
Coffee!!
Yeah 'Visor Om Slutet' isn't especially bad and 'Forsvinn Du Som Lyser' is great...in the heavier version in particular
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.03.2008 - 22:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Mmm I don't know.. I heard the heavier version.
It's good.. but the first version is way better IMO.
I can feel the need of drinking in the first version!!! xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.03.2008 - 03:49
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Wow, I heard the heavy version earlier today, not bad
27.03.2008 - 04:10
Fhuesc

Visor Om Slutet... probably one of the worst albums i ever heard in my life, you can check my album votes and you'll see that i'm being serious. It's so so so boring, i know that the band was having hard times around those days, even the name of the album says that, but come on, it's like elevator music combine with parking music.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
27.03.2008 - 05:06
totaliteraliter

Written by Fhuesc on 27.03.2008 at 04:10

Visor Om Slutet... probably one of the worst albums i ever heard in my life, you can check my album votes and you'll see that i'm being serious. It's so so so boring, i know that the band was having hard times around those days, even the name of the album says that, but come on, it's like elevator music combine with parking music.

Work on your attention span, it's easily among their best albums. It doesn't have the instant gratification of their more upbeat records, it's layered, atmospheric, fun, pure...
27.03.2008 - 05:08
Fhuesc

Written by totaliteraliter on 27.03.2008 at 05:06

Work on your attention span, it's easily among their best albums. It doesn't have the instant gratification of their more upbeat records, it's layered, atmospheric, fun, pure...

Just like elevator music
----
Until victory, always!
27.03.2008 - 05:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fhuesc on 27.03.2008 at 05:08

Written by totaliteraliter on 27.03.2008 at 05:06

Just like elevator music

Its a different atmosphere. Atmosphere is like mood, 1 type of atmosphere does not mean the same as another type of atmosphere. That would be like saying doom metal is elevator music.
----
- George Carlin
27.03.2008 - 06:18
Fhuesc

Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2008 at 05:44

Its a different atmosphere. Atmosphere is like mood, 1 type of atmosphere does not mean the same as another type of atmosphere. That would be like saying doom metal is elevator music.

I know it's a different type of atmosphere, the elevator music it's better.... just kidding. My problem with VOS is that is slow has a 99 year old granny driving a car.
----
Until victory, always!
27.03.2008 - 06:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fhuesc on 27.03.2008 at 06:18

I know it's a different type of atmosphere, the elevator music it's better.... just kidding. My problem with VOS is that is slow has a 99 year old granny driving a car.

Well, I cant blame them for experimenting a little bit. As you'll notice its not even considered a full LP, just an acoustic type EP, and from what I understand they didn't have a vocalist at the time either.
----
- George Carlin
27.03.2008 - 06:36
Fhuesc

Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2008 at 06:28

Well, I cant blame them for experimenting a little bit. As you'll notice its not even considered a full LP, just an acoustic type EP, and from what I understand they didn't have a vocalist at the time either.

Like i said before, i know all the problems that the band had at that time, but the album/EP it's awful, even without vocals, i think they could have done better
----
Until victory, always!
27.03.2008 - 06:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fhuesc on 27.03.2008 at 06:36

Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2008 at 06:28

Like i said before, i know all the problems that the band had at that time, but the album/EP it's awful, even without vocals, i think they could have done better

Really? I thought they did well keeping the Finntroll sound but showing they can do it without growls heavy guitars and speedy drums.
----
- George Carlin
27.03.2008 - 06:44
Fhuesc

Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2008 at 06:39

Really? I thought they did well keeping the Finntroll sound but showing they can do it without growls heavy guitars and speedy drums.

In other words, a non metal album, to slow for my taste
----
Until victory, always!
27.03.2008 - 10:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fhuesc on 27.03.2008 at 06:44

Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2008 at 06:39

Well... This it's not the best example.. But it'as like Opeth's Damnation.
Some people loved it [like me] and others heted because it was too boring [or soft]... I can understand both opinions... because it's a matter of tastes and the linking of different atmospheres.

For me it's like Sun O))).... I just can't feel a shit for those guys...But I respect them anyway because I have seen a lot of metalheads that loved their music.

Visor of Slutet is just a normal Finntroll album IMO... I can't think of another kind of music if they stop with the fast drumming, guitars and growls...
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.03.2008 - 17:41
totaliteraliter

Ok, short attention span and close-minded. No wonder this album went over your head.
27.03.2008 - 22:49
Fhuesc

Written by totaliteraliter on 27.03.2008 at 17:41

Ok, short attention span and close-minded. No wonder this album went over your head.

Dude you gave Dark Tranquillity - Fiction a 2, Ensiferum - Victory Songs another 2, and finally Opeth - Blackwater Park other 2. Even if you didn't liked those albums, they didn't deserved a 2. So i think that the one with attention problems and a closed minded attitude is you.
----
Until victory, always!