Treasure Trove:
06. Equilibrium In Legoland
07. Nach Dem Winter 2002
08. Blut Im Auge 2002
+ Studio Report
+ Backstage
+ Online Material
+ Photogallery

Folk metal came in with such force as the new popular thing and is now drifting slowly out as legions of monotonous bands have sucked the genre dry of all originality, but these Bavarians are here to breathe new life into this genre with their second album "Sagas". Equilibrium already burst onto the folk metal scene with incredible energy three years ago with the impressive but somewhat one-track minded "Turis Fratyr" and now return with a more mature, more diverse and truly masterful epic opus to take the world by storm.

Equilibrium previously brought us a fun, bouncy, folk metal experience to prance about to without thinking much about it. This time Equilibrium bring us more of the same multi-layered instrument jiggery-pokery but with a real magical spirit that holds the album together with a majestic ribbon. There is so much going on this album, so many different instruments that all band together to create beautiful melodies and the mental imagery of roaming free in some enchanted woodland. Indeed the woodwind instruments play a large part on "Sagas", as Ulrich Herkenhoff of the Lord Of The Rings soundtrack features playing the pan flute. The album is not one of single direction; instead the album branches out and covers more areas breathing new life into the music like the roots of a tree reaching out underground for nourishment. Not only does the album have a fair number of the compulsory high-speed, galloping double bass drum tracks with an infectious bounce and feel-good nature about them such as "Blut Im Auge" and the insanely catchy "Heimwärts" - but this time Equilibrium also pay careful attention to the slower songs by means of adding an exquisite earthly ambience and the finer details of the album. "Wurzelbert" kicks the album into full swing and sends a message across showing more solidarity to the band and the song writing in particular, "Unbesiegt" also is not a relatively fast song, although still upbeat, and with such a charm on the side of the woodwind starting off the song makes for one of the many great highlights of "Sagas".

Such wizardry is rare; "Sagas" brings a genuine breath of fresh air into folk metal and can easily pass as being one of the greatest albums of the genre to date. If anything can be said against it, it is not an easy pill to swallow as its duration is over a staggering eighty minutes. When you consider the quality at hand this is hardly a problem however. Musical ups and downs, fast songs, slower - mid-paced songs, and not to mention the last track of the album, a sublime near-eighteen minute instrumental masterpiece all cement "Sagas" as an instant classic. Last track "Mana" takes the listener on a mystical adventure through the woodland glades, complete with real sounds of nature, it is an epic and emotional journey in itself that will leave you speechless in its magnificent awe afterwards. It is not often an album so magical, so musically picturesque and complete with such a natural, green, organic spirit rears its head, but "Sagas" is one of these real gems that just need to be heard to be believed.

Written on 02.07.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
VPeter
Rating:
Equilibrium are one of the most promising young folk metal bands out there - at least for most people. I myself wasn't that impressed with Turis Fratyr, it was enjoyable but it sounded a bit to much like Menhir and many other more underground German Folk/Pagan bands mixed with Finntroll. But now they are back and have gathered everything they can, to bring one epic masterpiece who will surely convince all critics!

Read more ››
published 04.11.2008 | Comments (18)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 53   Visited by: 441 users
06.09.2008 - 22:57
Rating: 9
Janne
Hugin
Written by annodomini on 06.09.2008 at 11:28

And i wish it will be longer if it will be possible. After the Mana ends i wont more, and i always listen album from the beggining till the end. The best album this year , no doubt.

I also want more after Mana. it shouldn't be the last song. It would be better if it was in the middle of the album. that's my favourite song. but the albus is long enough for me.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
10.09.2008 - 20:05
VPeter
Overrated as hell, seriously it's not that good. It's good but it still has a lot of flaws, the screams sound even worse on this release and it becomes monotonous fast. Even though they have a lot of money and talent put in this album it just floats around... it never takes a solid substance. Unbesiegt is still an awesome funny song though.
17.09.2008 - 00:48
Enissa
This is the First Time I Listen to Viking Metal, So Im a bit New to it
But i Do love Folk Metal, So I like This Release
I Dont Like The Death Grunts, They are so aweful to me
But The music & Melodies are too good so I Dont care anymore
And about the songs: I like all the Instrumental ones Especially Mana, Simply one of the best Folk Metal albums Ive ever heard
I would give it a 10 if not the grunts, som rating is 8.5
18.09.2008 - 00:27
SK921
Account deleted
This album is fucking amazing. Blut Im Auge is probably my favorite track on the album.
11.12.2008 - 21:21
Janne
Hugin
After a month of break I started to listen to it again and I just can't get bored of it. Now I like the second part (from Heiderauche) of the album better. These songs are less speedy but now I enjoy them maybe because of my mood. And Mana is simply the best song of the year!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
19.12.2008 - 07:07
Rating: 8
Morphis
Good album great entrance and the last songs are also very good will be putting it more times on my cd player for sure.
08.09.2009 - 19:15
Rating: 10
MeloDeathViking
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.07.2008 at 22:44

This album is beautiful. It is one of those albums that is truly inspiring. I get excited just thinking about listening the song Mana just one more time...

I know what you mean. I've had days where I listen to this song 3 or four times in a row. I still find suprises in the song even after all those listens.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
25.09.2009 - 12:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Tell me what you want, Sagas are weaker than Turis Fratyr
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.10.2009 - 02:07
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 25.09.2009 at 12:37

Tell me what you want, Sagas are weaker than Turis Fratyr

I like each as much as the other but Sagas is 20mins longer so if i had to chose 1 it would be sagas for me!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.10.2009 - 22:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
20 minutes longer, but it is because of Mana...which is btw song i find somehow boring and waaay too and unnecessarily long...
----

14.10.2009 - 09:09
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 12.10.2009 at 22:48

20 minutes longer, but it is because of Mana...which is btw song i find somehow boring and waaay too and unnecessarily long...

wtf?? that's the most epic song I've ever heard!! oh some1 pls agree me!!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
14.10.2009 - 14:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Someone will definitely agree you, but not me

btw. for me the most epic song is Nightfall by Blind Guardian, as i write in topic about "most epic songs"
----

14.10.2009 - 15:59
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 14.10.2009 at 14:09

Someone will definitely agree you, but not me

btw. for me the most epic song is Nightfall by Blind Guardian, as i write in topic about "most epic songs"

i bet 99% of those who will visit this topic agree me and you are the 1% who do not. but you are unique so be happy!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
14.10.2009 - 17:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I will wait till those 99% of visitors will say that loudly before being or not being happy...
----

14.10.2009 - 17:41
Rating: 8
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Mana is not bad, but there are better songs on that album and there are thousands of more epic songs
14.10.2009 - 17:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Whoa...so now you need 197 other people to prove your statement, Janne
----

14.10.2009 - 23:17
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 14.10.2009 at 17:47

Whoa...so now you need 197 other people to prove your statement, Janne

I'll collect them. just wait!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.12.2009 - 18:41
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Excellent! Man I love this album

I liked Turis Fratyr a lot, but this one is 10 times better at least! Amazing folk metal!
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
24.10.2010 - 15:18
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Janne on 14.10.2009 at 09:09

Totally in agreement! Mana is absolutely astonishing, I would go as far as saying its the single greatest instrumental by any band, period.
18.03.2011 - 23:03
FrozenJoy
Written by Timmeh on 24.10.2010 at 15:18

Written by Janne on 14.10.2009 at 09:09

Totally in agreement! Mana is absolutely astonishing, I would go as far as saying its the single greatest instrumental by any band, period.

WHAAAAAT?!?! Mana... Boring? I totally agree with you guys! It´s simply brilliant... Complex, melodic, long, epic, majestic... And I would go as far as saying it's the single greatest song EVER...
This album is probably one of my favourite 5 albums ever... It's just too good, and I find every song completely flawless... Maybe I'm exaggerating, but... 10/10
23.09.2011 - 20:26
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Just discovered the magic of the folk metal! Equilibrium is one of the best bands I've ever heard, with catch songs and a more complex melody, not like too many noise bands I know, but their songs are kinda... Epic! Great review!
And I am listening to mana right now, it's one of the best instrumental songs I have heard.
11.03.2012 - 10:23
Wes
Perfect album, one you will always come back to. A true classic.
12.03.2013 - 02:40
svartberger
"There is so much going on this album, so many different instruments that all band together to create beautiful melodies and the mental imagery of roaming free in some enchanted woodland." the review says it all

Hits total: 15755 | This month: 11