07. Dr. Seuss Is Dead
08. Dope Fiend
09. Toubabo Koomi
10. God Machine
11. The Mortician's Flame
12. What Color Is Death?
13. The Bones Of Baby Dolls
14. Cassie Eats Cockroaches

"She smiles like a child with flowers in her hair. With blood on her hands, into the sun she stares. She feels it die, I heard her cry."

Welcome in the world of Acid Bath. A sick and violent world, where serial killers roam the streets and drugs are an absolute necessity to escape the vile state of mind so often called "reality". This five-headed monster is violent, depressed, pissed-off, drunk, on acid, raging, insane, dead and rotting, and all at the same time. "When The Kite String Pops" is their message to the world.

"I have fallen deep in love with the sky. Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife."

Combining themes such as death, drugs, doom and humor with the thoughts of a serial-killer/pedophile/suicidal maniac, their lyrics turned out twisted, dark but also with a surprising touch to them. Sometimes they are even funny, in an absurd sense. Soon after listen to this album a few times you'll find yourself singing "we smoke the bones of baby dolls" over and over again.

"She screams bloody murder as they chop off her fingers...
So this is how it feels to die."

Such lyrics demand equally vile music. And damn, they have done it like none other. Their Sabbath worship is soaked in Southern Rock and perversion, becoming one of the first so-called "Sludge Metal" bands: ultra-heavy doom with a lot of groove and extreme vocals. Where Eyehategod were a lot more extreme, Acid Bath made up for this with pure catchiness and groove. Once you are used to the sound, you will want to hear it over and over again.

"Hearts will stop and brain cells pop.
Apocalyptic high."

Dax Riggs is one hell of a vocalist, and absolutely perfect for this band and genre. His screeches are penetrating, while his clean vocals are sad yet twisted. Together with the stomping riffs and distortion he can be straight-out brutal. Who does not love the first massive punch in the gut from "The Blue": "Across your face!"? On the two (sort of) ballads"Scream Of The Butterfly" and "The Bones Of Baby Dolls" he really shines, with his beautiful, emotive wails. Singing his morbid stories about murder and suicide, he evokes a special sort of dark ecstacy, a dangerous form of energy in which the subject first reaches a deep low, before rising up with a fucked up, "fuck the world we're going to take drugs and get drunk and whoever is dead last is a pussy!"-attitude. Everybody that is familiar with the stomping, repetitive violence of an inescapable depression feels exactly like that every once in a while, and this album is a perfect way to give that a jumpstart.

"We're all gonna die tomorrow.
The freaks are screaming burn it down.
She can't feel the weather.
I can't touch the ground."

A bit of criticism is also in its place. For one, the album is pretty long and in my opinion they should have left two or three tracks out. That being said, there are no real fillers on "When The Kite String Pops". Some songs are obviously better than others, but every song has its own replay value. I really would not be the one who has to decide which songs to remove, anyway. Acid Bath sucks you into their filthy little world and does not let go. Give it a few tries and you will find it is as addictive as heroin, as maddening as a bad drop of acid, and cool as fuck!

"The kite string pops..."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 06.07.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 37   Visited by: 264 users
12.02.2012 - 00:41
Markku
Account deleted
Totally sick, yet so beautiful.
10.06.2012 - 23:12
Rating: 10
Da?bog

Soo gooood review for soo gooood album...the moment i heard scream of the butterfly i couldn't stop listenin to it...
----
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees whit your own reason and your own common sense...
03.11.2012 - 22:36
TrollandDie

This is like if anything that can be snorted, smoked or injected was put in a blender and shoved down your throat; where your brain turned the chemical concoction into music.

Unbelievably good.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
18.11.2013 - 19:02
Jiri

Jiri's favorite album of all time.
02.05.2014 - 11:57
Uldreth

And the best acoustic song ever award goes to... The Bones Of Baby Dolls.

Why did I never fully listen to this album before?
24.07.2014 - 22:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by jupitreas on 07.07.2008 at 01:53

I find that PTA is a far better album. Production of this album is also quite lacklustre.

I prefer this one miles to their second record. Especially the production, this one is just so raw and heavy unlike the second one which feels a bit polished to me.
25.07.2014 - 00:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by 3rdWorld on 24.07.2014 at 22:54

Written by jupitreas on 07.07.2008 at 01:53

I find that PTA is a far better album. Production of this album is also quite lacklustre.

I prefer this one miles to their second record. Especially the production, this one is just so raw and heavy unlike the second one which feels a bit polished to me.

Strongly agree with you. The production here is perfect. Right in your face and crunchy with the rawer and violent moments. It also gives a very nice sund to the acoustic songs.
I love the second album too but the production is THIN. I mean... Really thin in comparison to this album. It feels quite dry.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 13241 | This month: 24