06. Ominous Bloodvomit
07. Like Fire
08. Bastard Son Of God
09. Breeding Death
10. Outnumbering The Day
11. Brave New Hell
12. Furnace Funeral
13. Eaten

No need to present Bloodbath anymore and no need to say that this band doesn't tour and play everywhere each new year... Actually, they've just played one time together at Wacken 2005 and luckily some smart people have decided to record this unique show. The result of this recording is a sumptuous digipack released by the British label Peaceville records, and if you were expecting something great, I can tell you that you'll not be disappointed.

The great thing of this package is that it features not only a live recording of the show but also a professional DVD of the concert. As you can understand you'll be more in front of a DVD instead of a simple Live album and that's great for sure. I will not talk a lot about the live and I will simply say that the sound is perfect but the DVD is just excellent. The show is perfectly filmed: we can see all the guys like the crowd of Wacken, this is perfectly done even if sometime there is maybe some effects which are a bit boring (slow images etc?). The guys are also perfect - extremely charismatic and full of blood on their bodies. This is a bit gore but fun and it fits perfectly to the general ambiance of the concert. As you can see the track-list features songs from the two first albums and the great thing here is that they even sound better and heavier than on CD. With guys like Åkerfeldt, Swanö, Axenrot and of course the two Katatonia leaders, this is not so surprising to have a magical final result. If you like Death Metal and like to listen to Bloodbath, you'll be happy to know that the songs are great live and that this DVD (plus the live album of course) are not a mistake in the discography of this really good Death Metal combo.

The sound of this live recording is simply awesome. The drums are perfectly recorded, same with the guitars and the voice of Mikael is perfectly mixed. We can even hear the crazy crowd of Wacken, that's just magic. The only problem for me here is that the DVD version, which is also really good as you already know, has some kind of sepia filter during the whole show. It can look old and classy on a side but personally I'm not a fan of such kind of images, I like simple and pure things, not transformed ones. But it's probably the only little (really little) problem of the whole package. The digipack version of this fantastic show is perfect and undeniably "The Wacken Carnage" is a must for all the fans Bloodbath and Death Metal in general.

What can I add? Seriously nothing, "The Wacken Carnage" is just a successful release which doesn't lack anything. The fans of Bloodbath, especially the ones who were at Wacken in 2005, can be happy because they will not be disappointed by this product. "The Wacken Carnage" is a great live album which will finish in the list of the few legendary Metal lives ever done. Let's hope that we will have the chance to see the mighty Death Metal band from Sweden on stage one day, this DVD is too frustrating, we want to see them live again!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 06.07.2008

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 284 users
07.07.2008 - 00:41
Rating: 9
ylside

Great live performance.. I just loved the Left Hant Path tribute at the end
08.07.2008 - 03:58
sq_xeper

yes indeed, its very well produced, sounds awesome and the best parts are the jokes between songs from mr. Akerfeldt, he knows how to be in touch with the audience...the future for this band seems very good, they've proved this over the studio records and now with this live masacre
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
08.07.2008 - 14:46
ylside

Except when he said that Bloodbath is a death metal elite...
20.07.2008 - 22:24
BlindedByBlood
Account deleted
Fucking Great Band.Michael rules! m/
17.08.2008 - 19:35
konstans
Account deleted
Jeff excellent review agree with you 100% specially the DVD highly recommended for anybody who likes death metal
07.05.2009 - 22:22
Rating: 10
-Soulreaper-

Indeed this is a great live album and DVD. Personally one of my favorites to watch in my collection. Mikaels humor is top notch, as always when you see him live, "higher, higher, Dani Filth". Just hilarious. I was at Wacken in 05 and was one of the lucky few who got to witness Bloodbath live. The only thing that sucked was that Ensiferum was playing at the same(which you can hear in between a couple songs on the Wacken Carnage), and I had wanted to see them but saw Bloodbath instead because I figured that most likely I wouldnt have another chance to see them. Which was good, because I've seen Ensiferum twice since then.
06.06.2009 - 22:02
mayh90

"I can't f*cking hear you! Louder!"
Amazing release. And superb cover. Akerfeldt is different than the other bands' leaders on stage. I've been at Opeth's latest gig in Poland. He lauded awsome audience and told that after gig he'd go to the hotel and jerk off. At the end he was laughting at Axe, who had reportedly drank too much on the previous night .
I love that guy .
----
Lemme Try Your Bass.
08.06.2009 - 18:22
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Fuck... it's a shame they didn't play: Bathe In Blood!!! SHAME!!!!!!! but this one is a great live dvd!!1
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.11.2009 - 15:26
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Death metal Live albuns rules
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.12.2009 - 23:35
Rating: 8
INÆRIS

"Apparently we forgot to do our laundry" Wonderful album, wonderful band
----
Still Life, Still Death

Hits total: 9108 | This month: 32