05. As Desertshadows
06. In His Lovely Kingdom
07. Black Daimon
08. Toward(s) The Thornfields
09. (Birth Of Evil) Virgin Sin
10. Green Cave Float
11. A Blaze In The Northern Sky
12. Fenriz Drum Solo

I you're a fan of Darkthrone and cannot find their first demos then maybe "Frostland Tapes" will be a good replacement for you. Actually, this nice digipack is a compilation of the four demos of the Norwegian cult band including the first instrumental version of Goatlord plus a short live show recorded in Denmark in 1990. It's of course not so new and not perfectly recorded but this part of Metal history must be discovered in my opinion and I think that the fans of the band will find something interesting for them here.

Back in 1988-1991, Darkthrone was not the most technical band on Earth. Of course, if you just compare them to the Metal monsters of these years it's obvious that the first demos of the Norwegian band sound really amateurish but obviously something good and promising was already perceptible in the music of the band. The anger and the really dark atmosphere of this crossover between dark Thrash and Death Metal was undeniably and logically the premise of the Black Metal that we all know today. I cannot say that these demos are perfect but we already have some little jewels like "Snowfall" and despite the crappy sound of the recordings, this is a good triple CD, a good way to discover Darkthrone during its Jurassic period.

Of course the problem with a release like this one is that it contains demos and demos recorded at the end of the 80's simply have, in general, terrible sound. No surprises here, 90% of the time the recording of the songs is simply terrible but the sound of Darkthrone has never been the best anyway and with time I think that you'll be able to listen to this demo without a lot of problem. Even if it's not really well recorded it's still ok and anyway the whole box (which also features a written interview of Fenriz and Nocturno) is really nice. Of course it's always better to buy the original demos of a band (good luck here?) but if you like Darkthrone I'm sure that you'll like this release. It's worth the price!

"Frostland Tapes" is a good way to discover the beginning of Darkthrone; the songs are a bit simplistic, right, but there is, of course, something nice behind all these compositions. If you're looking for old stuff have a look on this box, it can be a good buy in my opinion and finally you'll be able to know all that you want to know about your favorite band. "Frostland Tapes" is a must for the fans of Darkthrone.

Written by Jeff | 06.07.2008

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 157 users
07.07.2008 - 04:40
ponderer

Well written review man. Btw, where's my Metalstorm t-shirt in 2XL?
07.07.2008 - 05:10
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
you have succeeded in piquing my curiosity. very well written review. props.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.07.2008 - 09:26
Galar
Wicked Mung
why do you spam every thread/post LeChron James?
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
04.02.2013 - 22:34
Rating: 9
squidrick420

I am lucky to have found a copy in a used cd section one day. I wouldn't call the low-fi recording terrible, because honestly, i think it sounds awesome and adds an ambient effect that would be lost if recorded on high end equipment. When it comes to the demo's themselves it is interesting to hear how the band transitions into the Darkthrone we all know and love.

Hits total: 7231 | This month: 19