01. Metamorphosis
02. Threnody
03. Immum Coeli (Everlasting World)
04. Catharsis
05. Resurrection Machine
06. The Evangelistic Pain
07. Omega
08. Erased

Although Hate's Morphosis is far from being an embarrassing release, it is nevertheless a case of the band being "the little engine that couldn't". As much as their enthusiasm at expanding their musical palette should be commended, the result just isn't powerful enough to challenge the big dogs of cold, mechanical extreme music - Zyklon and Red Harvest, or even recent Satyricon...

Morphosis follows the lead of the Polish outfit's previous release Anaclasis: A Haunting Gospel Of Malice & Hatred by embedding their straight-forwardly brutal death metal approach with samples and a consciously mechanical and soulless sound. The idea, besides mixing things up a little bit, is obviously to concoct a mixture that is meant to frighten the hell out of the listener. The band falls short on both these aims. Although the music on Morphosis is indeed not your run of the mill death metal, passages that do nothing more than pummel away at (impressive) speed still dominate this release and the production is simply not adequate enough at summoning the kind of nightmarish industrial hell that they could. The ubiquitous lack of a low end in production is probably most to blame for this. Morphosis sounds very thin, with an audible but unimpressive bass, squeaky guitar textures and overly clipped drums. A harsher, more powerful aural atmosphere (think Zyklon or Hate's neighbors Behemoth) would do wonders for this album and should be something the band invests in next time around. Song-structure wise, the tracks on this album are actually often fairly impressive - particularly the last three songs on Morphosis are a pleasure to listen to. If the previous songs were less focused on hyper speed blasting and the whole album was given better production, my impression of it would benefit exponentially.

As it is, right now Hate sounds like a small engine attempting to overtake the beastly machinery that powers other bands in this special race. Give the Polish deathmongers some more horsepower and we'll see how well they do next time.

Written on 07.07.2008 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 155 users
07.07.2008 - 06:13
Herzebeth

Adam The First Sinner?

----
07.07.2008 - 06:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I've never cared much for this band. I probably won't even bother to check this one out.
08.07.2008 - 09:18
destroyah
supercharger
Saw 'em live a week ago. They weren't too impressive - rather average, even.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
08.07.2008 - 17:30
Tod_Engel

Saw them live too. I'd say they're quite interesting musically, but Hate's blackened death metal style isn't anything outrageously new or innovative. Nonetheless, I suggest you to check them out.
11.07.2008 - 23:56
Rating: 10
koldyr

dispite the review above i should tell following: this is a really greate release of polish band. fast (260 bpm), heavy and fresh. i really enjoy this album right after Behemoth (Apostacy) or Cryptopsy (Unspoken King). Production is rather good. Maybe drums a little bit "plastic" (triggers all the way) but it's ok, for such fast tempos it's suitable. Music is original enough, just a little bit from Vader and Satiricon. Impressive release. My rate: 8.5
----
How would be wonderful if life would be in sources
13.07.2008 - 23:22
Goat-Christ

I really enjoyed "Anaclasis: A Haunting Gospel Of Malice & Hatred" but this record isn't even close to good. It's very boring and uninspired. The production is too brittle for the sound they're going for.
16.07.2008 - 12:12
Monkey666

Great album !
24.07.2008 - 22:44
Candlemass
Defaeco
Great album.
One of my favorite of 2008.
my rate 8.6
26.07.2008 - 13:48
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
another descent band from Polish death metal movement... Vader its the best one, of course... ''Hate'' remains in the same level of Yattering and Decapitated.. good, but not that good.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.03.2009 - 11:26
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
I saw them live a few months ago, just before Kronos, they were really impressive I have to admit, however I wasn't interested much of that in that band. They have some good songs, the two last albums are great
28.10.2009 - 14:27
Rating: 8
Tatras

Written by Uirapuru on 26.07.2008 at 13:48

another descent band from Polish death metal movement... Vader its the best one, of course... ''Hate'' remains in the same level of Yattering and Decapitated.. good, but not that good.

How the hell Vader could be more interesting and better than Decapitated?? don't make me laught... Decapitated is secound best after Behemoth band from Poland... Vader was interesting last time on Litany, or EP "The Art of war"... ;]
30.10.2009 - 09:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Tatras on 28.10.2009 at 14:27

Written by Uirapuru on 26.07.2008 at 13:48

How the hell Vader could be more interesting and better than Decapitated?? don't make me laught... Decapitated is secound best after Behemoth band from Poland... Vader was interesting last time on Litany, or EP "The Art of war"... ;]

Of course.. you're absolutly right. What was I thinking!?
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 7309 | This month: 7