02. Crimson Winds
03. A Bolt Of Blazing Gold
04. In Tears Bereaved
05. Skywards
06. Through Ebony Archways
07. Shadow Duet
08. My Faeryland Forgotten
09. Alone

When Dark Tranquillity released "Skydancer", there pretty much wasn't anyone sounding quite like this at the time. Carcass were releasing "Heartwork", Carnage had done "Dark Recollections" in 1990, Dismember were an active project already, but surely this took the idea of inserting melody into Death Metal to a new level, even if Dark Tranquillity would only be glorified by it with "The Gallery". Then, Anders Fridén, was the lead vocalist, and Michael Stanne was on rhythmic guitar, and it's interesting to think they'd go on to become two of the main figures of the genre they helped create but in different bands, nowadays exploring different directions, sonically.

"Skydancer" is really "Proto-Melo Death", you listen to it and you realize why it set the basis for it all, but at the same time, I think the identity of the genre has evolved, and even Dark Tranquillity's music is now more multi-dimensional and better produced. Anyhow, this album is very creative in the way it distils all its influences into one singular style. If it's true that the aforementioned Carcass and Dismember are in some way omnipresent, the pounding and catchy sound of Iron Maiden and the like is very noticeable, and the incredible doses of melody and fast paced riffs make "Skydancer" already a varied and intense listening experience.

What impresses me and puts me off a bit, simultaneously, is the band's eagerness to show their talent. This album is too complex for its own good, and it's no wonder that one may think it gets boring here and there. When the opener "Nightfall By The Shore Of Time" kicks in, it's a real slap in the face, with Fridén screaming and the guitars coming in immediately, but soon other songs come up and in them Dark Tranquillity tries sometimes to play faster and make even more tempo-changes, and the harmony is lost. Thankfully, Dark Tranquillity would trim all the excess for their following album and in terms of song writing "The Gallery" is far better executed.

Despite that, Skydancer has other merits, and it's great to discover details that would be reinvented in the future. Take "A Bolt Of Blazing Gold"; it's over seven minutes due to several acoustic passages that evolve brilliantly into the band's blend of melody and catchiness. There are female vocals halfway through, in tracks 3 and 6 (done by Anna-Kaisa Avehall, schoolmate of some of the band members). "Alone" is the kind of slower closing that really elevates the album's range to a different level, and it's no surprise that it's one of my favourites.

I'm very fond of the more spacey and economic (if still highly versatile) Dark Tranquillity of recent releases, like "Character" and "Fiction", the band has found a balance between all the elements they spent the beginning of their career trying to combine together. Skydancer is impressive from a technical point of view, and I think there are some palpable melancholic undertones, which is what has always made me commit emotionally with Dark Tranquillity's songs and even Stanne's lyrics, but the band would go on to top everything they do here. Skydancer reveals Dark Tranquillity at its rawest and possibly most aggressive, and as groundbreaking as it was, it is not without its flaws.

Written by Passenger | 07.07.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 171 users
07.07.2008 - 15:14
Rating: 8
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Quite good, there are some good songs... but the best Dark Tranquillity works are later IMO (The Gallery, Damage Done and Character)
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
22.04.2009 - 16:25
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
''A Bolt Of Blazing Gold'' is an exellent song. Pretty good for a debut album, one of the best.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.05.2009 - 23:44
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
"Nightfall .... " RULES. the rest of the songs are average... nice review!!!!!!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
10.05.2009 - 12:32
ms68

Written by Deadmeat on 09.05.2009 at 23:44

"Nightfall .... " RULES. the rest of the songs are average... nice review!!!!!!!!!

how you can say rest of songs are average? for example Crimson Winds is one of the best songs that dark tranquillity ever made.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
10.05.2009 - 12:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ms68 on 10.05.2009 at 12:32

Written by Deadmeat on 09.05.2009 at 23:44

how you can say rest of songs are average? for example Crimson Winds is one of the best songs that dark tranquillity ever made.

don't shoot!!! it's all matter of taste man. to be honest i like it a lot. i just wanted to say that nightfall is IMO better than the other. also shadow duet and fairyland forgoten are nice songs. but generally the vibe of that album makes don't want to hear a lot. with another production i may liked it a lot more...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.08.2009 - 15:02
Solstafir!

A good start for a great band...the potential was always there...
17.09.2009 - 21:09
GamlaSonn

A bolt of blazing gold is really soothing

"This album is too complex for its own good" i agree with this. So so album overall
15.02.2011 - 21:52
Rating: 10
JimInFlames

Oh come on! In tears bereaved is an epic song, along with shadow duet and crimson winds!
----
Archaic pearls of sleep and death,
The voice of December losing its breath.
And the floweryard of white and gray is haunted,
Is haunted.
16.04.2018 - 11:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its complex album and they were young, most creative period in people life, also lyrically this is bnrilliant,later only chosen songs even Auction is most weird poetical lyric ever. Great brilliant album.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8048 | This month: 6