02. Beneath This Face
03. Quickening
04. Caucus Of Mind

Disc II
01. Silence
02. The Order Of Destiny
03. Ignotum Per Ignotius

Who needs a soul anyway?

For the last 16 years or so and with every consecutive release, Esoteric get just a little bit closer to finally condemning us all to hell, and I personally respect any band with a disposition this sunny. The Maniacal Vale is not only another step in this tortured evolution - it is the band's ultimate masterpiece and an experience so overwhelming that it will completely blow the mind and shatter the senses. Yes, for all intents and purposes, this is a perfect album and one that will be remembered for a long time as a phenomenal achievement in every way.

Like all masterpieces, The Maniacal Vale easily transcends any arbitrary genre tags and classifications. Sure, the band still specializes in extremely slow tempos and unadulterated extremity; however, beneath this omnipresent maelstrom of insanity and chaos, there are currents of tranquility, beauty and elation. Thus, the record presents a gamut of emotions, made all the more appealing by the fact that one has to dig deep to gain access to them. Produced in a way that makes the performance sound as if resonating from behind a wall of hellfire, it is up to you, the listener, to take that step and cross the line. Once you take this plunge, that's it - you are sucked into the infernal spiral of this album's genius and as terrified as you might be, you begin to love it and yearn for the current to envelop you again.

Clocking in at over 1 hour and 40 minutes and consisting of pieces that are intended to bend reality, it is pointless to favor any one track over the others. Sure, "Beneath This Face" contains one of the most incredible build-ups ever, while "Silence" and "Ignotum Per Ignotius" emanate a mood of somber contemplation. Greg Chandler provides his maniacal growls and inhuman screams throughout, while the band gracefully meanders between noise, ambiance, claustrophobic doom and catatonic psychedelia. Nevertheless, The Maniacal Vale is an experience. Gaining access to this esoteric knowledge comes at a price that not everyone is willing to pay. Succumb at your own peril and discover some of the best music you are likely to hear in your life.

Written on 11.07.2008 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 40   Visited by: 422 users
13.03.2010 - 00:50
Rating: 10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Visioneerie on 12.03.2010 at 23:14

Ordered this album along with Ahab's new release. My first of extreme doom albums, I'm curious.

I'll hope you'll enjoy them. Take your time to relax and sit in a soffa/ or be in your bed and The Maniacal Vale would probnably blow your socks off.

It's one of the albums that made me look at metal and music in general in a different way.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.03.2010 - 20:25
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2010 at 00:50

Written by Visioneerie on 12.03.2010 at 23:14

Ordered this album along with Ahab's new release. My first of extreme doom albums, I'm curious.

I'll hope you'll enjoy them. Take your time to relax and sit in a soffa/ or be in your bed and The Maniacal Vale would probnably blow your socks off.

It's one of the albums that made me look at metal and music in general in a different way.

Thanks for the heads up. I've already had a taste of Ahab by listening to a few songs off their debut and I have to say, the music is immense... like fucking gigantic. I really like the style so far. As for Esoteric I don't know what I'm in for but I'm giving all the good criticism a chance and it might be well worth it.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
15.03.2010 - 21:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Visioneerie on 15.03.2010 at 20:25

Thanks for the heads up. I've already had a taste of Ahab by listening to a few songs off their debut and I have to say, the music is immense... like fucking gigantic. I really like the style so far. As for Esoteric I don't know what I'm in for but I'm giving all the good criticism a chance and it might be well worth it.

Damn man, I don't want to make you have too high expectations because sometimes high expectations make the album less good but I have to say it: While Ahab's debut is extremely huge like a tsunami [because I can really feel the ocean with that band]... Esoteric is just... Monstrous, like it's not even funny, it's just fucking intense that there was no way I could listen to both cds the first day.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.03.2010 - 21:18
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.03.2010 at 21:08

Written by Visioneerie on 15.03.2010 at 20:25

Damn man, I don't want to make you have too high expectations because sometimes high expectations make the album less good but I have to say it: While Ahab's debut is extremely huge like a tsunami [because I can really feel the ocean with that band]... Esoteric is just... Monstrous, like it's not even funny, it's just fucking intense that there was no way I could listen to both cds the first day.

I'm liking the sounds of "monstrous ...it's not even funny" haha. I'll make sure to keep a subjective mindset and keep my expectations reasonable, to let the music do the talking. Hope it comes sometime during this week.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
15.03.2010 - 22:04
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Visioneerie on 15.03.2010 at 21:18

I'm liking the sounds of "monstrous ...it's not even funny" haha. I'll make sure to keep a subjective mindset and keep my expectations reasonable, to let the music do the talking. Hope it comes sometime during this week.

i really don't think it matters how much we build it up. it's the type of album you'll either get and love or you won't (and there isn't necessarily anything wrong if you don't, i can see why people wouldn't like it) ... just make sure you clear about two hours out of your day for when you finally receive it and get a chance to listen.

and brace yourself.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.03.2010 - 03:06
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by BitterCOld on 15.03.2010 at 22:04

Written by Visioneerie on 15.03.2010 at 21:18

i really don't think it matters how much we build it up. it's the type of album you'll either get and love or you won't (and there isn't necessarily anything wrong if you don't, i can see why people wouldn't like it) ... just make sure you clear about two hours out of your day for when you finally receive it and get a chance to listen.

and brace yourself.

Will do.
Didn't receive it yet. I hope it's as disturbing as everyone claims it to be. I don't want a cheap thrill, I'm in it for the mentally debilitating torture this Maniacal Vale is supposed to be.
----
24.06.2011 - 22:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Best. Album. Ever.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.06.2011 - 22:53
Rating: 9
Daniell
_爱情_
This is one of those albums that require a lot of effort from the listener. You can't just play it and listen to it. You need to WANT to listen to it. Otherwise you will never sit through 100 minutes of this aural dementia. But once you muster your strength and listen closely, and again, and again, you will discover what's hidden deep beneath the layers of repulsive insanity - sheer brilliance and genius.
10.07.2011 - 18:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Lucas on 24.06.2011 at 22:33

Best. Album. Ever.

Heh after 3 years this album still makes me go all fanboy about it just like you.
Probably the best album I've heard so far, Acid Bath's debut is closer for me personaly but in a more technical point of view this music is just the best I've ever heard.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2014 - 06:35
Death_95

Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.07.2011 at 18:15

Written by Lucas on 24.06.2011 at 22:33

Best. Album. Ever.

Heh after 3 years this album still makes me go all fanboy about it just like you.
Probably the best album I've heard so far, Acid Bath's debut is closer for me personaly but in a more technical point of view this music is just the best I've ever heard.

I agree with both of you, the best album I've ever heard... Simply makes me wanna cry EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Hits total: 12504 | This month: 36