Metal Storm logo
Recommendations For Darker Acoustic Songs/Passages

14.07.2008 - 03:14
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
I am particularly fond of metal / rock bands that can add dark, brooding acoustic passages to their songs, or write an entire song that is simply acoustic, but with a metal "spirit" in a sense, that is darker in nature. However, I've found it to be quite difficult to find songs that succeed in a way that captures my attention - let alone that not so many bands do it at all.

To give you a better idea of what I am talking about, two of the bands that I feel have written some great dark acoustic passages are Aeternus, on their album "And So The Night Became (1998)," and a non-metal band I can think of is Poets To Their Beloved, on their album "Embrace The Fool" that came out last year.

If you have heard the beginning passages to many of the songs on Aeternus's album, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about- songs like "Ild Dans," "Warrior of the Crescent Moon," and "When the Crow's Shadow Falls" are not only filled with introspective and reflective acoustic guitarwork, but also turn to much heavier guitarwork as the song develops.

I bring up Poets To Their Beloved because while they aren't metal at all, many of the reasons I enjoy them are the same as why I enjoy metal music, and they also utilize dark, brooding acoustic guitar passages throughout their album. I've highlighted the band's myspace pages if you haven't heard them before in the second paragraph. Thanks for any suggestions, I hope there are at least a few
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
14.07.2008 - 11:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know I gonna come beck here more man when I will see 1 keybords besides 2 keybords and be waked up, but Ulver accustic album are good, also german band Carved in Stone , also german band Halgedom there are one album pure BM, next folk/acustic, one more band what comes in my mind are Dead Raven Choir but its even more avangard music from Crakov
Next think its Empyrium and I think I shood not comment it
Also fannish band Of the Wand and the Moon, werry good IMO Nervel ordered album. Finish band nest,
Also Skyforger has one accustic folk album
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.07.2008 - 17:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well i suppose you know about Iced Earth(if not then check these tracks out NOW), so this is mostly for the people visiting the thread: there's an extremely dark and awesome power-up in their song Slave to the Dark, right in the beginning, also in their tracks from Night of the Stormrider(Reaching the End, Angel's Holocaust, Travel in Stygian). also from their album Burnt Offerings, the intro from Burning Oasis, Dante's Inferno(you might want to try the whole song, it's like epic to the 100th power) and Brainwashed are both kick-ass and DARK. also from Horror Show: Damien intro(dark, groovy and epic), Dragon's Child and Dracula.

and of course not at all dark and brooding but one of my favorite acoustic songs is Elvenking- Skywards, it's so complex and mind-boggling yet somehow simple.
14.07.2008 - 17:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 14.07.2008 at 17:07

well i suppose you know about Iced Earth(if not then check these tracks out NOW), so this is mostly for the people visiting the thread: there's an extremely dark and awesome power-up in their song Slave to the Dark, right in the beginning, also in their tracks from Night of the Stormrider(Reaching the End, Angel's Holocaust, Travel in Stygian). also from their album Burnt Offerings, the intro from Burning Oasis, Dante's Inferno(you might want to try the whole song, it's like epic to the 100th power) and Brainwashed are both kick-ass and DARK. also from Horror Show: Damien intro(dark, groovy and epic), Dragon's Child and Dracula.

and of course not at all dark and brooding but one of my favorite acoustic songs is Elvenking- Skywards, it's so complex and mind-boggling yet somehow simple.

I dont think he menat such band, he ment band who play full lenght and all time accustic songs , and from IE that would be Eagles Vry or something
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2008 - 17:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 14.07.2008 at 17:08

Written by Valentin B on 14.07.2008 at 17:07

I dont think he menat such band, he ment band who play full lenght and all time accustic songs , and from IE that would be Eagles Vry or something

When the Eagle Cries is bland as fuck, and it's not even DARK as opposed to the songs i mentioned, especially Damien, the spoken interlude is fucking CREEPY.

and if you weren't paying attention it's dark acoustic songs/passages he wants, stuff like Reaching the End, not When the Eagle Cries which is completely opposed to Reaching.
14.07.2008 - 19:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I hope that this will work for you since I found this songs some of the most beautiful and distrubing songs ever created. Specially the lyrics that are as or maybe more brutal than most of the lyrics from death or black metal.

Acid Bath, a Sludge Doom metal band from USA... One of my favorites bands and one of the most underrated as well, IMO of course. [They're here on MS btw...]

Acid Bath - New Death Sensation
Acid Bath - Dead Girl
Acid Bath - Scream Of The Butterfly
Acid Bath - Bones of Baby Dolls

Opeth's clean songs are also a good choise...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.07.2008 - 21:24
Gordon Freeman
I'm going to have to go an mention a band with 90% of their work containing dark acoustic passages.

Agalloch

Check out their album The Mantle for pretty much wall to wall dark acoustics.

Reccomended songs:
The Hawthorne Passage
In the Shadow of our Pale Companion
...and the Great Cold Death of the Earth
A Desolation Song
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
14.07.2008 - 22:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 14.07.2008 at 21:24

I'm going to have to go an mention a band with 90% of their work containing dark acoustic passages.

Agalloch

Reccomended songs:
The Hawthorne Passage
A Desolation Song

Werry good man somehow I think Aggaloch are mix between Opeth, Negura Bunget and Novembre
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2008 - 22:24
Gordon Freeman
Written by Bad English on 14.07.2008 at 22:09

Werry good man somehow I think Aggaloch are mix between Opeth, Negura Bunget and Novembre

Yeah, that sounds about right. Especially now. Every album becomes less dark folk and more dark rock/metal?.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

14.07.2008 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 14.07.2008 at 22:24

Written by Bad English on 14.07.2008 at 22:09

Yeah, that sounds about right. Especially now. Every album becomes less dark folk and more dark rock/metal?.

Disdagree because ewery album are special and good I like them all
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2008 - 22:34
Gordon Freeman
Written by Bad English on 14.07.2008 at 22:28

Disdagree because ewery album are special and good I like them all

I never said I didn't like the new stuff. I am a huge fan of all Agalloch's work. In fact Pale Folklore is my least favorite full length by the band.

No, I just said that their folk influence is really begining to wane and the music is gravitating more towards dark rock. Several instances in Ashes Against the Grain show this. (Limbs, Not Unlike the Waves...very post-rockish.)
----

17.07.2008 - 07:12
selken
Irreligious
Maybe Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane is what you are looking for

its melodic black/death xD
----
17.07.2008 - 15:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by selken on 17.07.2008 at 07:12

Its not accusting, in that case even notyhing else metters can be accustic
----

apos;'
[image]
17.07.2008 - 16:00
selken
Irreligious
Written by Bad English on 17.07.2008 at 15:19

Written by selken on 17.07.2008 at 07:12

Its not accusting, in that case even notyhing else metters can be accustic

it wasn't about passages... or the entire song??
----
18.07.2008 - 15:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
why is it that whenever people say about a band "ooh.. great atmospheric black metal!"... it turns out it's 60% mindless blastbeats with a hoover turned on maximum in the background just like most other black metal?
20.07.2008 - 02:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I would recommend the song "Madness Caught Another Victim" by Evergrey. In fact any of their "softer" songs are still dark and haunting.
----
(space for rent)
21.07.2008 - 07:59
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Sorry for the slow response time. I hadn't had a chance to be on the site for more than 5 minutes at a time in the past week!!

Written by Gordon Freeman on 14.07.2008 at 21:24

Agalloch

Reccomended songs:
The Hawthorne Passage
A Desolation Song

Yes good recommendation I know their stuff well, though haven't relistened to "The Mantle" since I've got into this acoustic obsession/interest. I'll give some more listens to it in the coming week.

Written by Dane Train on 20.07.2008 at 02:19

I would recommend the song "Madness Caught Another Victim" by Evergrey. In fact any of their "softer" songs are still dark and haunting.

Yes I agree with the dark and haunting aspect, though it's a bit different than I'm looking for. I really like Evergrey's faster songs and anything off of "In Search Of Truth", but never could get into anything else from them as it just couldn't measure up to me. But good atmosphere in that song for sure

Regarding Opeth, they have some amazing stuff - before 2000 - that's acoustic and such, but of course I know those songs already Anything after 2000 I really just don't like much, and each time I see them live I find them less interesting than before. Some acoustic stuff like is found on the song "Credence" would be something I'm looking for though.

I will check out Acid Bath next time I have a chance. I don't know their music at all, but that's not normally a type of music I care for. However, I'm always open for new bands, and I will give it a serious listen soon
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
21.07.2008 - 09:26
Eternal Flames
I highly recommend Ikuinen Kaamos. They are similar to Agalloch, so if you enjoy Agalloch's work you'll definitely enjoy Ikuinen Kaamos.

Ne Obliviscaris is also another band that have a few acoustic passages. Have a listen to their song "Tapestry Of The Starless Abstract" to get an idea. They only have a demo so far though.

Lastly, The Fall Of Every Season. The acoustic work particularly on "From Below" is amazing.
21.07.2008 - 12:03
Torelli
You're ar not only looking for aucustic songs with metal feeling, but also (dark) aucustic passages in metal songs?

In that case, I think Winds Of Torment is a band for you, espcially their song "the glitter in the eyes". I would descripe their sound as a melodic death/trash band hybrid with a thouch of Opeth in it. For a listen, you have myspace and thier old webpage, were they have a couple of songs for download.

Old webpage

http://www.myspace.com/windsoftorment
21.07.2008 - 14:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 21.07.2008 at 07:59

I will check out Acid Bath next time I have a chance. I don't know their music at all, but that's not normally a type of music I care for. However, I'm always open for new bands, and I will give it a serious listen soon

Do it, their music is very intense, even the acustic songs are somehow bone-crushing.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.07.2008 - 20:41
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I recomend three songs by Into Eternity. The First one is a two parter from their album "Buried In Oblivion." The first part is the title track (Buried in oblivion) and the second part is called "Black sea of agony." Another good song is from that same album called "Morose Seclusion." The entire song is acoustic, but it's also amazing. The last example I'd like to give is "Surounded by Night" From "The Scattering of Ashes." It ends with a great bass outro, and it's all around great.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.07.2008 - 20:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
both Scott Kelly and Steve Von Till of Neurosis have released solo albums that are 90%+ acoustic. While they might be played on an acoustic guitar, they are still as heavy as any Neurosis track - only stripped down.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.07.2008 - 19:45
Sunioj
Necrophobic - Nifelheil

Excellent stuff, great slayer influenced material yet carries the vibe of bands like dissection.
30.07.2008 - 20:05
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.07.2008 at 14:21

Written by Jason W. on 21.07.2008 at 07:59

Do it, their music is very intense, even the acustic songs are somehow bone-crushing.

Okay, checked out the links you gave me. I was very impressed! Great lyrics, and the songs stay dark from beginning to end. I've already passed the links on to one of close friends, and she loves it as well, particularly the "Dead Girl" track. I'll be putting them on my list of things to pick up when I do my next CD purchasing / searching Thanks!
----
30.07.2008 - 20:31
Graveheart
This is very underground and I wouldn't call them metal, but try "...This Is Where My Little Saturn Sleeps" from Belgium. They're some kind of progressive psychedelic experimental folky soundscape rock and for the most part instrumental. Lots of acoustic guitar and strings, also gets pretty intense sometimes. In particular I recommend the song "Disguised in the Old". http://myspace.com/thisiswheremylittlesaturnsleeps
30.07.2008 - 20:47
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Graveheart on 30.07.2008 at 20:31

This is very underground and I wouldn't call them metal, but try "...This Is Where My Little Saturn Sleeps" from Belgium. They're some kind of progressive psychedelic experimental folky soundscape rock and for the most part instrumental. Lots of acoustic guitar and strings, also gets pretty intense sometimes. In particular I recommend the song "Disguised in the Old". http://myspace.com/thisiswheremylittlesaturnsleeps

Ahhh... it is really good And I see they will release a mini-CD this winter. I added them to my myspace friends and am looking forward to some moody snow-laden afternoons with their music this winter! Thanks

edit: actually, it's impossible to add them, or even send a message, due to their absurd security settings. seems they do not want to be befriended
----
30.07.2008 - 21:58
Gordon Freeman
Written by Jason W. on 30.07.2008 at 20:47

Written by Graveheart on 30.07.2008 at 20:31

Ahhh... it is really good And I see they will release a mini-CD this winter. I added them to my myspace friends and am looking forward to some moody snow-laden afternoons with their music this winter! Thanks

edit: actually, it's impossible to add them, or even send a message, due to their absurd security settings. seems they do not want to be befriended

Some musicians revel in obscurity.
----

30.07.2008 - 22:21
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Gordon Freeman on 30.07.2008 at 21:58

Some musicians revel in obscurity.

Yes, but they are not so obscure... if someone wanted to be obscure, no one would even know the music existed, let alone broadcast it for myspace
----
30.07.2008 - 22:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 30.07.2008 at 20:05

Okay, checked out the links you gave me. I was very impressed! Great lyrics, and the songs stay dark from beginning to end. I've already passed the links on to one of close friends, and she loves it as well, particularly the "Dead Girl" track. I'll be putting them on my list of things to pick up when I do my next CD purchasing / searching Thanks!

Always nice to help someone
I particularly love "Scream of the butterfly" more than the others... but the 4 songs are very very good in their own way.
I hope that you will also like their agressive sound.
----
Rod, let me love you.