Metal Storm logo
Bands that you prefer their newer stuff

Original post

Posted by selken, 17.07.2008 - 07:21
it's almost an unwritten law (and a Metalstormer law) that in order to be a true metalhead you have to like only old stuff from bands, and loathe their new stuff, but we know there are few bands that you maybe prefer their newer stuff. who knows, better production, more mature lyrics, more skilled musicianships, anything.

These are my bands

Exodus: I prefer their last 3 albums over their old stuff, of course their old stuff is OK, but I find the new ones more technical, with better riffs and more agressive. Sometimes touching the borders of melody.

Kreator: I'm a fan of old-school and melodic extreme, but in this case, I prefer their lastest 2 albums, I like a lot the melodic yet agressive riffs.

Behemoth: starting from the normal, almost generic black metal, these dudes later developed a brutal sound for the atmospheric black metal.

Hypocrisy: their latest album Virus is my fav of them all, it has better riffs IMO and more catching songs

so, post ! xD
06.07.2020 - 10:07
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Behemoth is a band where I strongly prefer the newer stuffs. I was never into Behemoth before The Satanist came out, for me this is a masterpiece of an album, and I am very much pleased with their sound now. I should probably check out some of their earlier stuffs properly as well.
13.09.2020 - 23:53
sgtrobo

Atonement, Majesty and Decay, Harnessing Ruin, and Unholy Cult are all better than Immolation's first three (yeah I said it)

Wings of War, Electric Age, and Ironbound are as good as Overkill's late-80s/Horrorscope era

Possessed and F&Js 2019 releases are on par with anything they ever released
14.09.2020 - 14:33
vspot

Rammstein. I never liked their previous albums, but their 2019 album was a hit.
----
Fav. game: FIFA Coin, Fav band: Airbag
13.10.2020 - 07:28
Lord Slothrop

Written by Fallen Ghost on 06.07.2020 at 10:07

Behemoth is a band where I strongly prefer the newer stuffs. I was never into Behemoth before The Satanist came out, for me this is a masterpiece of an album, and I am very much pleased with their sound now. I should probably check out some of their earlier stuffs properly as well.

I feel the same way. I've dabbled with their earlier stuff and like most of what I've heard, but I prefer their last two albums.
15.10.2020 - 16:43
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Milena on 15.04.2012 at 11:43

Unpopular opinion, but Sonata Arctica. Hope that will remain intact with the new album.

This didn't age well.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
17.10.2020 - 00:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by RaduP on 15.10.2020 at 16:43

Written by Milena on 15.04.2012 at 11:43

Unpopular opinion, but Sonata Arctica. Hope that will remain intact with the new album.

This didn't age well.

Let's see: it aged really poorly for 2012, kind of okay for 2014, like fine wine for 2016 and I'm not gonna comment on 2019. That rounds out at two fuckups per decade! That's like the Queen ratio. I can live with that.

Thanks for reminding me I'm fucking old, babyface. It was one of the first times a band I love disappointed me in real time, it felt like a stab through the heart every time it happened. Now it's like, okay, whatever, you'll get it right next time, I still love you, do you still sell old merch?
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.10.2020 - 01:17
nikarg

Written by Lord Slothrop on 13.10.2020 at 07:28

Written by Fallen Ghost on 06.07.2020 at 10:07

I feel the same way. I've dabbled with their earlier stuff and like most of what I've heard, but I prefer their last two albums.

Same here, I love their last two albums.
20.10.2020 - 21:53
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I think the last Fugazi album is their best.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
27.06.2021 - 12:13
Leperor

Hey.
I'm new to thrash metal. Instead of going through entire discography of artists (my work does not allow me much time), I'd like a top 20 songs list of bands, if possible
27.06.2021 - 17:56
Zap
I'd pick the latter half of Enslaved's discography over the first half, so I guess they count. I think the addition of progressive elements and spacey psychedelic stuff, among other things, added a lot of variation to their music as well as better production giving them the opportunity to explore those elements and create some masterworks.
03.08.2021 - 12:48
Brutal Water

Cattle Decapitation. Their last three albums blow the first half of their discography out of the water.
----
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
03.08.2021 - 15:30
nikarg

Written by Leperor on 27.06.2021 at 12:13

Hey.
I'm new to thrash metal. Instead of going through entire discography of artists (my work does not allow me much time), I'd like a top 20 songs list of bands, if possible

Here you go
03.08.2021 - 23:26
Redel

Written by nikarg on 03.08.2021 at 15:30

Written by Leperor on 27.06.2021 at 12:13

Hey.

Here you go

He though did ask for songs, right (was that intended?)
04.08.2021 - 00:49
nikarg

Written by Redel on 03.08.2021 at 23:26

He though did ask for songs, right (was that intended?)

Partly intended, I was not sure what he asked for, a list of bands or a list of songs.. in any case, I thought this is a good way to check out some of the greatest thrash records (and since he is a new user, I presumed he didn't know how to use this "search" feature).

Btw, we are off-topic. Leperor, if my previous reply did not satisfy you, please ask a more specific question over here. This topic is for something else.
04.08.2021 - 04:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Brutal Water on 03.08.2021 at 12:48

Cattle Decapitation. Their last three albums blow the first half of their discography out of the water.

Hard agree. They've really tapped in to their creative juices these past few years, making their back catalog look even more amateurish than it already did.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.09.2021 - 23:18
Vinther1991

Anthrax: Never cared for their first 5 albums honestly. Sounded too silly and cheap. 'Sound Of White Noise' was a brilliant album, and the only of their old albums I like, helped greatly but the great John Bush. But I guess Joey Belladonna wasn't really the big problem with their old albums, as I find 'For All Kings' to be an absolute masterpiece of an album, extremely catchy, sophisticated, charming, melodic and warm. 'Worship Music' was also decent.

Accept: While 'Balls to the Walls' was a classic album in its own right, I think they reached another level with Tornillo on vocals. Especially "Blood of the Nations" is a masterpiece, but "Stalingrad" and "Blind Rage" are great albums as well.

Diamond Head: This one is a bit bizar, and a bit of cheating, as I think their first album and their newest album (The Coffin Train that is, not that unnecessary rerecording of LTTN) are head and shoulders above the material they released in the 38 years in-between, of which very little is note-worthy. I go back and forth between 'Lightning to the Nations' and 'The Coffin Train' as my favorite of their albums.

Kreator: Not a fan of their early work at all, but a lot of their newer material is really good. Especially Phantom Antichrist.

Sepultura: Don't care for their thrash metal origins, which sounded as derivative as a lot of other thrash bands of that era. Blasphemously I love "Roots". Aside from that, their latest album is great and the only other album of theirs i care about.
12.01.2022 - 15:06
Vikcen
Metálico
Two solid examples:
Exodus doing very well from Tempo Of The Damned =)
Kreator doing very well from Violent Revolution =)
12.01.2022 - 18:34
HeavysAudio

Ceremony but I'm torn they are like 2 separate bands.
05.05.2022 - 16:14
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
I mostly agree with the elitist stereotype of "only the band's oldest albums are good". I either prefer the rawer, earlier styles of a band, or I like both early and later styles of a band.
The only band that comes to mind at the moment where I prefer their newest release is Asphyx: I like Necroceros more than Last One on Earth.
06.05.2022 - 09:59
gavdann

Written by RaduP on 20.10.2020 at 21:53

I think the last Fugazi album is their best.

Interesting. I was a big fan of 13 Songs and Repeater back in the day but I've not listened to them for years. I'll check it out.