Metal Storm logo
Bands that you prefer their newer stuff

17.07.2008 - 07:21
selken
Irreligious
it's almost an unwritten law (and a Metalstormer law) that in order to be a true metalhead you have to like only old stuff from bands, and loathe their new stuff, but we know there are few bands that you maybe prefer their newer stuff. who knows, better production, more mature lyrics, more skilled musicianships, anything.

These are my bands

Exodus: I prefer their last 3 albums over their old stuff, of course their old stuff is OK, but I find the new ones more technical, with better riffs and more agressive. Sometimes touching the borders of melody.

Kreator: I'm a fan of old-school and melodic extreme, but in this case, I prefer their lastest 2 albums, I like a lot the melodic yet agressive riffs.

Behemoth: starting from the normal, almost generic black metal, these dudes later developed a brutal sound for the atmospheric black metal.

Hypocrisy: their latest album Virus is my fav of them all, it has better riffs IMO and more catching songs

so, post ! xD
----
17.07.2008 - 09:12
routa
Account deleted
Argh, I really can't agree on any of those bands you mentioned hahah. Guess I'm a poser.

Somehow, seems pretty puzzling question overall...
Bal-Sagoth comes to mind. Chtonic Chronicles is easily their most enjoyable one for me.
17.07.2008 - 10:00
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
hmmm, well

death: love all their albums, but i really think theyre most recent stuff is best...

i agree with behemoth prefer the currently brutal sound

Immortal: prefer they're new evolved sound

Amon Amarth: one of my fav bands, but i think theyre latest album is their greatest! so powerful in all respects!

thats all for now
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
17.07.2008 - 15:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
NON OF BANDS NON I never listend and LIKE newer staff Im so old school fan, tahy even I love old Testament for example and can not listen new once, same whitv all thrash bands death bands and moust bands, but theres bands what I like all albums like Opeth, ToN and such
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.07.2008 - 16:02
selken
Irreligious
Written by Bad English on 17.07.2008 at 15:03

NON OF BANDS NON I never listend and LIKE newer staff Im so old school fan, tahy even I love old Testament for example and can not listen new once, same whitv all thrash bands death bands and moust bands, but theres bands what I like all albums like Opeth, ToN and such

you are tr00 xD
----
17.07.2008 - 16:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Immortal, Satyricon & Emperor's later stuff easily pisses all over their early output.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.07.2008 - 16:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.07.2008 at 16:22

Immortal, Satyricon & Emperor's later stuff easily pisses all over their early output.

In that case Darthrone be firts, because somehwo I like nowdays last 2 albums more how mid 90ties work, same whit Mayhem
----

apos;'
[image]
17.07.2008 - 17:25
Conservationist

I can't agree on some of these, since the older stuff from Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal, and Emperor seems more imaginative to me, but:

Immolation
Profanatica
Deeds of Flesh
Marduk

I like their newer stuff much better than the old.

And Behemoth is detestable except for that first album
17.07.2008 - 22:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Anathema was the first name that come to my mind since I don't stand their debut and EPs...
They are very boring IMO. The later ones have more "spirit" on them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.07.2008 - 22:33
Gordon Freeman

Enslaved.

I prefer their more recent progish albums as opposed to the older viking ones. They're all good though.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
17.07.2008 - 22:57
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
In Flames for me. I know it's odd to say that. But the sound is more mature, there's more melodic riffing (which I really love), and the lyrics have so much feelings. Anders is a great lyricist, and his lyrics really stirs up a lot of emotions in me and inspires me a lot.
Dark Tranquillity is also like that, but not as much as In Flames. Dark Tranquillity has almost the same sound from The Gallery to The Mind's I, then changed on Projector, Haven and Damage Done (but really great stuff still), but then back to the "original" sound on Character and Fiction.
Still, both In Flames and Dark Tranquillity never disappoints, at least not me. No bad material ever released from these two bands (except the very first record from Dark Tranquillity, Skydancer, which I see as a "demo" and therefor don't have in my collection). Not a single song from these two bands are bad, not even the remixes of some of the In Flames songs.
17.07.2008 - 23:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
wow this damn question made me think a lot lol. probably pantera, never listened to their 80s stuff but from what i understand it's some of the cheesiest glam-metal(granted, great riffs and solo's by you know who)

other than that... probably no other band lol. yeah, i'm an old dinosaur aged 18
18.07.2008 - 00:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Bolt Thrower got better as they got 'older' and refined their sound.
Nachtymystium
Neurosis - "Through Silver and Blood" on is vastly better than their prior albums.
Death
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.07.2008 - 02:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 18.07.2008 at 00:50

Bolt Thrower got better as they got 'older' and refined their sound.
Nachtymystium
Neurosis - "Through Silver and Blood" on is vastly better than their prior albums.
Death

Neurosis - Its almoust non gettible one demo greek thrash band from Xanthi
When I and some greek metalheads discussed about greek metal in 80ties oe guy sad he owns demo, and he also sad its werry rear in Greece
----

apos;'
[image]
18.07.2008 - 02:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't know how extensive a band's discography has to be to apply, but I agree with most of the bands that have been mentioned. Here's some more:

Corrosion of Conformity
- I prefer their current era to their hardcore days, but most of their shit is good.
Corpus Christii
The Crown - I don't care much for their stuff when they were called Crown of Thorns, and Hell is Here is fairly weak. I love all their albums after that, with exception to Crowned in Terror, but that album doesn't really count
Krisiun (AssassiNation)
Mayhem (Ordo Ad Chao)
Ministry (Rio Grande Blood)
Nevermore
Savatage (The Wake of Magellan)
Septic Flesh/Septicflesh
Sigh (Hangman's Hymn)
Soulfly - Dark Ages is the best thing with Max since Nailbomb.
Vital Remains
18.07.2008 - 02:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Bad English on 17.07.2008 at 16:34

In that case Darthrone be firts, because somehwo I like nowdays last 2 albums more how mid 90ties work, same whit Mayhem

O shit, I forgot to say Darkthrone... Yes. Their Black 'n' Roll is outstanding IMO. I just want to buy FOAD but I don't have the money...
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.07.2008 - 21:05
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Dangerboner on 18.07.2008 at 02:26
Nevermore

I really agree there. Their early material was nothing special, but when I heard This Godless Endever I was blown away. It was far better than the early material. Same goes for Enemies of Reality.

Another band that just keeps getting better with each album is Three. The End is Begun and Wake Pig are much better than the early albums.
----
(space for rent)
21.07.2008 - 20:41
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Celtic Frost for me. I slightly prefer Into The Pandemonium and Monotheist over Morbid Tales, Emperor's Return and To Mega Therion.
21.07.2008 - 22:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
hmmm...i said a bit earlier that i don't prefer any of the new stuff of the bands, but.... never been a big fan, but for me Death would fit in here, i didn't notice pretty much anything else apart from The Sound of Perseverance, and Kreator, the mindless thrashing of "Coma of Souls" is too mindless to me, i like the song Impossible Brutality from their last album.
22.07.2008 - 21:04
Conservationist

Written by Guest on 22.07.2008 at 03:22

Another prime example is Impaled Nazarene, Pro Patria Finlandia & Manifest are easily the best albums they have done so far and look how many albums they had done before that...?

Have you heard Ugra-Karma?
24.07.2008 - 18:06
VPeter

Darkthrone (love the Motorhead like oldschool sound)
Ildjarn (my god the black metal years suck ass!)
Samael

Will add more later.
24.07.2008 - 23:16
Charly546

Black Sabbath.

As much as I enjoy the nearly-regular spins of their early material (stuff with a certain guy, whose name begins with an O), I'm more fond of Dio-era Sabbath and much, much much more fond of Tony Martin's era.

"Tyr" and "Eternal Idol" pretty much receive a spin every day. I don't understand why many people disregard Martin's era, there's some really great power metal there. And "Headless Cross" is great too, but it falls a bit short when compared to the 2 afromentioned behemoths (the last few songs there drag the whole album down, only a notch though, but still).
29.07.2008 - 11:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I would say Death, Dark Tranquillity (although I quite liked some of the early albums) and Nevermore.

That's all I can think of for now.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.07.2008 - 07:40
Fhuesc

Dark Tranquillity's Fiction to me is their best work
To-Mera newest album is also better than the old one
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
30.07.2008 - 09:17
Hamird
Lieutenant
I prefer "The new Mayhem" that the "The True Mayhem" ... In fact I don't enjoy Euronymous' music and Dead's vocals. I like Blasphemer's era, especially last two albums, Chimera and Ordo ad Chao.
30.07.2008 - 12:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Fhuesc on 30.07.2008 at 07:40

Dark Tranquillity's Fiction to me is their best work
To-Mera newest album is also better than the old one

To-Mera man dont juge band who has 2/3 albums, juge band who live slong in metal world like Napalm Death ot Blind Guardian or Cannibal Corpse or Ovewrkill
----

apos;'
[image]
31.07.2008 - 12:41
Graveheart

Believe me or not, but actually I could mention most of my favorite bands in this thread. Helloween, Anathema, the Gathering, Tiamat, Therion, Katatonia to start with. But usually I tend to prefer the middle discography which gives me hard time deciding whether the new albums are better or the old ones. Such bands are Iced Earth, Opeth, Dream Theater, Evergrey and Tristania to name a few. As for not prefering the new albums, the only one I can think of right now is My Dying Bride. Their two newest are my least favorite albums they've done.
10.08.2008 - 06:34
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
In Flames. I just cant' like their first albums.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.08.2008 - 09:17
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.08.2008 at 16:29

Even as a Nevermore fanatic who sleeps with all his Nevermore albums like a child with a teddy bear (not really), they definitely made a notable improvement on their sound starting with "Dreaming Neon Black" and they've maintained that improvement ever since.

I'm listening to the older stuff more now, though, because I've memorized every note of everything they've released from "DNB" on.

I also like nevermores new stuf
22.08.2008 - 10:10
Duy Hung
Account deleted
The Gathering for me, not that i don't like their Doom metal period but honestly the production in those first 2 albums were quite bad compared to later ones, plus the vocals have since improved a lot with the appearance of Anneke.