Metal Storm logo
Bands that you prefer their newer stuff

Original post

Posted by selken, 17.07.2008 - 07:21
it's almost an unwritten law (and a Metalstormer law) that in order to be a true metalhead you have to like only old stuff from bands, and loathe their new stuff, but we know there are few bands that you maybe prefer their newer stuff. who knows, better production, more mature lyrics, more skilled musicianships, anything.

These are my bands

Exodus: I prefer their last 3 albums over their old stuff, of course their old stuff is OK, but I find the new ones more technical, with better riffs and more agressive. Sometimes touching the borders of melody.

Kreator: I'm a fan of old-school and melodic extreme, but in this case, I prefer their lastest 2 albums, I like a lot the melodic yet agressive riffs.

Behemoth: starting from the normal, almost generic black metal, these dudes later developed a brutal sound for the atmospheric black metal.

Hypocrisy: their latest album Virus is my fav of them all, it has better riffs IMO and more catching songs

so, post ! xD
11.02.2011 - 15:05
BrokenKnuckles
When Through The Eyes of the Dead changed singers the music got better. more heavy and faster.
17.02.2011 - 13:35
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
It may be weird but I try my best to like the later albums of most metal bands but without success!
17.02.2011 - 15:46
Rebel Monster
Kataklysm... 2006-

I'm a sucker for "slow" Death metal

But Serenity in Fire & Shadows and Dust is still great though
----
Bad English :p
17.02.2011 - 15:53
Malevolent-Jim
Nachtmystium
Blind Guardian (yes, fucking sue me)
Enslaved
Opeth
Immortal
Hypocrisy
Kamelot (Ghost Opera and Black Halo FTW)
Amon Amarth. Their last album just sounded more focused than the other ones. Good production also helped.
Devin Townsend - In my opinion, Addicted > Most of his other stuff..Bad maybe Ziltoid
Katatonia

There. You all probably hate my poser-ness now
17.02.2011 - 16:48
Thunderhead
Hypocrisy - Like a lot their more ambient/death releases
Emperor - Equilibrium IX and Prometheus are major kicking ass extreme symphonic.
Death - Great stuff in the past, but from Human to Sound of Perseverance they grown as anyone has growth!
Grave Digger - Although i like Heavy metal breakdown, wargames and stuff, i still find they reached it when they released Tunes of War, and since this, they only released great stuff
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
17.02.2011 - 17:09
ANGEL REAPER
I agree with people that wrote Bolt Thrower
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.02.2011 - 11:54
ForeverDarkWoods
If it wasn't for A Blaze in the Northern Sky, I'd have said Darkthrone. The newer albums are kickass punky speed metal and a step away from the mediocrity of most of the old bm stuff (where only A Blaze... and Under... stood out as really good).

Yeah, I largely think Transilvanian Hunger is a steaming pile of shit.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
20.02.2011 - 09:10
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Rotting Christ in their early days were grindcore. While I'm unfamiliar with their mid era gothic work, they're early bm was far better then this... Stuff...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a372FqKhwcE
20.02.2011 - 09:58
Kevorkian
For me, I have to say Amon Amarth and Nevermore. Don't get me wrong, I love both bands' early stuff, but the better production really won me over on the later stuff. Poorer production has its place in some albums, and can even lend atmosphere to the music without the music itself being particularly atmospheric, but I'm not looking for atmosphere when I listen to Amon Amarth and Nevermore.
09.03.2011 - 05:10
Yojimbo
Kataklysm.

I love their more melodic stuff. Songs like "Tear down the kingdom" and "Angels weeping the dark" are the perfect mix of brutality and melody. Doesn't get better than that.
13.03.2011 - 14:21
Wraith
Destruction.

The old albums are produced too akwardly for me to listen to them for extended periods of time. They have awesome music on them though.
14.03.2011 - 00:53
Doom Trooper
I agree with the OP on Kreator but disagree about Exodus. I dont think Exodus are all that different then their earlier Zetro era stuff. Yes more technical but even in the old recordings you can hear that crunching guitar tone that is even more prominent on the newer releases. Fabulous Disaster and Pleasures of The Flesh specifically come to mind while I type this. That sound progressed more and more with each album until it became what is today. Shovel Headed Kill Machine is one of my favorite Exodus albums though.. I for one actually love Rob Dukes vocals.

One band that comes to mind for me is Six Feet Under. I think the lyrics on the early albums are extremely juvenile. I actually enjoy Commandment and Death Rituals quite a bit. Not the best band in the world but they are good fun to listen to.

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 09.02.2011 at 00:17

Mastodon for me. Whilst I really enjoy Remission and Leviathan, I think that Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye are near perfect.

I would agree. All of their albums are awesome but Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye might very well be two of my favorite albums of all time.
21.03.2011 - 01:40
Yasmine
I'm going to say it.....to start......for me, Behemoth and Agent Steel.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
21.03.2011 - 20:53
afd252
I really love We Came as Romans- and they're doing a great new contest! If you want to win the official Rock Yourself to Sleep stage backdrop from the Winter 2011 tour signed by We Came As Romans, For Today, The Word Alive, Woe, Is Me & Texas In July? To win the backdrop AND a music and merch prize back, click here: http://www.facebook.com/RockYourselfToSleepTour?sk=app_95936962634
22.03.2011 - 06:16
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by afd252 on 21.03.2011 at 20:53

I really love We Came as Romans- and they're doing a great new contest! If you want to win the official Rock Yourself to Sleep stage backdrop from the Winter 2011 tour signed by We Came As Romans, For Today, The Word Alive, Woe, Is Me & Texas In July? To win the backdrop AND a music and merch prize back, click here: http://www.facebook.com/RockYourselfToSleepTour?sk=app_95936962634

Ha, you posted the same message of MA Really shitty bands, all of them.

Back on topic, I'm gonna agree with the guy who said Destruction- I enjoy their old works of course, but the new ones are just... Better Also gonna add D.R.I- I love their early hardcore albums, but their crossover albums, particularly thrash zone, are superior.
26.03.2011 - 02:31
enemy yv
Type O Negative's final two albums mean so much more to me than their older ones. Not really METAL metal but still a great band.
Love all Cannibal Corpse but they are just get better and better IMO
26.03.2011 - 22:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Metallica. Load, Reload, St. Anger and Death Magnetic are alljust vastly superior to anything the released before that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2011 - 22:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Marcel I don't think the server can handle that much sarcasm in one post.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2011 - 22:48
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2011 at 22:25

Metallica. Load, Reload, St. Anger and Death Magnetic are alljust vastly superior to anything the released before that.

For some reason I don't know, I think this comment is not serious.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.03.2011 - 22:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 26.03.2011 at 22:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2011 at 22:25

For some reason I don't know, I think this comment is not serious.

Turn your sarcasm detector up one more notch and all will return to normal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2011 - 22:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Ffs I am as serious as can be after ten 8% beers and two plus bottle of red wine (13.5%) hahahahahaahahaha

but to be sure I am now playing the first three Metkkica albums and not that crapfest called And Justice.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2011 - 23:18
Void_Eater
Account deleted
You mad, AJFA is one of their best. Behind Kill'em all and RTL, but ahead of everything else. MoP is really overrated...
26.03.2011 - 23:44
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 26.03.2011 at 23:18

AJFA is one of their best. Behind Kill'em all and RTL, but ahead of everything else. MoP is really overrated...

I agree on AJFA being better than MOP. Because, if I think about it...

I find all the albums Metallica released in the 80s boring. But, while undoubtedly boring here and there for me, listening to Kill'Em All, RTL or AJFA from beginning to end would not be an ordeal. However, MOP is so inconsistent an extremely dull, listening to it from beginning to end would be excrutiating.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.03.2011 - 23:46
Yasmine
Written by RavenKing on 26.03.2011 at 23:44

Written by Guest on 26.03.2011 at 23:18

AJFA is one of their best. Behind Kill'em all and RTL, but ahead of everything else. MoP is really overrated...

I agree on AJFA being better than MOP. Because, if I think about it...

I find all the albums Metallica released in the 80s boring. But, while undoubtedly boring here and there for me, listening to Kill'Em All, RTL or AJFA from beginning to end would not be an ordeal. However, MOP is so inconsistent an extremely dull, listening to it from beginning to end would be excrutiating.

I do find even metallica's 80s albums are predictable from start to finish which makes them extremely boring.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
26.03.2011 - 23:50
Void_Eater
Account deleted
For every good song on MoP, there's a snoozer. Battery, Damage Inc, the title track, and Dissposble heros are enjoyable, even if the latter is to long for its own good, but the rest is dull. Leper Messiah has that awful plodding riff, TTTSNB has the same problem, only even more so, Sanitarium sounds forced in comparison to their other early ballads, and Orion, well let me try to describe it... Although all of Metallica's instrumentals are dull.
26.03.2011 - 23:55
Yasmine
Which sucks I love a good instrumental being a big fan of classical, but honestly I think Shortest Straw was the only song I ever went......"Oh cool riff, not bad".
----
01.04.2011 - 04:40
enemy yv
AJFA was my favorite for the longest time but listening to it recently I just cant get into it. It is trying to be too epic which is why they wanted a change and made the black album. "Harvester" is still the best song ever though. If it weren't for that album though metal music would not be the same today. Even Mikael Akerfeldt said in some video on youtube that if not for that slow midsection of "to live is to die" Opeth might not exist.

Load is definitely in my top 3.
01.04.2011 - 04:46
Yasmine
No wonder I dislike Opeth so much.
----
06.05.2011 - 18:47
Ghostdancer
I have been racking my brain and all I can come up with is Behemoth.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
11.05.2011 - 10:08
Beer Fairy
I prefer new Satyricon and Darkthrone, because i'n not into black metal, and their new stuff are more acceptable for me