Metal Storm logo
Lacuna Coil: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

17.05.2006 - 06:39
dagnytaggart
Account deleted
I thought we needed a new Lacuna Coil topic since the old one was pretty popular. Even though we're starting over, I'll make this a fairly tradition first post and introduce the band anyway.
Italy's Lacuna Coil are one of the most popular female fronted metal acts around. Although they're a pretty good band, much of their popularity can be attributed to the fact that their lead singer, Cristina Scabbia, is hot. (see footnote) This has drawn a great deal of criticism from some, who claim that LC is "all tits and no talent."
In the minds of many fans, Lacuna Coil have gone through 3 stages of development. There was the "wow, this is a great band" stage of their first 2 albums and EPs. In a Reverie and Unleashed Memories featured great vocals, intelligent, sensitive lyrics, and overall solid music. During this era, they toured with bands like Moonspell and The Gathering, and their popularity was limited mostly to a European audience.
Then came Comalies, the second "ok, that's commercial but I guess it's still pretty good" stage. Although some of the older fans didn't like the new LC sound, Comalies brought them world-wide popularity and a second stage gig at Ozzfest. It really was a pretty good album; admittedly, there's a little bit of nu-metal in there, but it makes it a little catchier and accessible. My only caveat is that the lyrics also took a nu-metal turn and lost the poeticism of their earlier work. As is always the case when a formerly unknown band becomes popular, there was the outcry that they "sold out." However, a much more common attitude was that yeah, they're getting popular, but I would rather hear them on the radio than any of the nu-metal crap they're supplanting.
Then there's the "wtf is this" stage, aka Karmacode. There's some good stuff on there - In Visible Light and Enjoy the Silence are 2 worthy tracks, IMO - but Karmacode was clearly created to get at the valuable Hot Topic crowd. Undoubtedly Lacuna Coil will gain some fans for this effort, but among many older and, dare I say it, more metal fans, it has inspired outright hatred. LC is scheduled to play the Ozzfest mainstage this year.

-------
17.05.2006 - 06:47
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
well ive only heard the single my truth but i get your point thou i must admit i did like it at first it does seem to be a commercial effort to get some new fans (Hot topic fans could be a nice description), but well as i said days before the album came out i was really sure something like this would come up, after all christina is going out with one of the guys from Korn .... sad sad... and they all seem to address them to be one of their favorite bands so it would obviously show up in their new cd. The style i hope wont change much but from all ive heard about it i just havent had the hearth to listen the cd throughly i wish you were wrong but i guess i saw it coming,..
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
17.05.2006 - 08:20
meTalcoholic
She started off as an RnB singer and honestly that's where she belongs. The pop songs with a little overdrive guitar here and there is now that I'm looking for.

I agree full on with Icarus. He said all there is to be said.
----

-ZEdarkangel (a.k.a. ZD/ZeeDee)

666, Number of the Beaaaaaast!!!!!!
17.05.2006 - 08:36
Lost One
Account deleted
I actually wanted to sample this new album, but after reading this..
I think I'd better skip on it.
17.05.2006 - 17:28
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Well this is my favourite female fronted band and just love Cristina's voice, although i feel the music is pretty simplistic its still good. Before Karmacode was release i was really looking forward to getting it ... but after reading reveiws and what the general opinion one the last Lacuna Coil thread seemed like it wasnt worth it. So that was a MASSIVE downer for me, but i love their other stuff, and is regulary played specially in the morning before i go to college ... makes me feel happy lol.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
22.05.2006 - 08:50
Thorein
Account deleted
@ Metalcoholic

It seems you forgot about their previous releases..
That is what I dispise about some fans sometimes: they seem to forget all the past efforts and accomplishments, as soon as an album is released with a (big) touch of Nu metal. I myself am not a huge fan of Karmacode, but that doesn't stop me from being a fan of Lacuna Coil.
And really, the pop scent in the albums, isn't because Christina's voice sounds 'R&B'... When a voice sounds appealling to a great deal of people, even out of the metal circuit, does that make it r&b? Pop perhaps, but really...and the popularity of Nu metal lies mainly in the use of baselines and guitarwork.
22.05.2006 - 18:16
meTalcoholic
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 08:50

@ Metalcoholic

It seems you forgot about their previous releases..
That is what I dispise about some fans sometimes: they seem to forget all the past efforts and accomplishments, as soon as an album is released with a (big) touch of Nu metal. I myself am not a huge fan of Karmacode, but that doesn't stop me from being a fan of Lacuna Coil.
And really, the pop scent in the albums, isn't because Christina's voice sounds 'R&B'... When a voice sounds appealling to a great deal of people, even out of the metal circuit, does that make it r&b? Pop perhaps, but really...and the popularity of Nu metal lies mainly in the use of baselines and guitarwork.

haha. I haven't even listened to Karmacode! I am basing my opinion of them on mainly Comalies and Half-Life EP. I just do not enjoy her singing style at all. However, I respect people who do.
----

-ZEdarkangel (a.k.a. ZD/ZeeDee)

666, Number of the Beaaaaaast!!!!!!
22.05.2006 - 19:12
Avenant
Profane Seraph
I havn't heard the new album because right now I'm listening to different genres... but I did hear one track on the radio (my university's radio station played it, they play non-commercial music sometimes, for south african standards,that is) and I dunno whether I liked it or not... I'll have to give it a better listen ,but I doubt it would match up with the older stuff somehow...oh well...have to hear it properly before I say any more
23.05.2006 - 01:25
dagnytaggart
Account deleted
Like I said, they're a good band, and even though I don't like the album as a whole I still like some parts of it. And I must say, even though their music has become very homogenized to gain some mass market appeal, I would still rather listen to the worst song off Karmacode that almost anything that's played on mainstream radio. Also, as someone who loves female fronted bands, it's nice to see the one that got me into them and one of my first real metal bands make it big. With them and Evanescence both having such popular appeal, maybe that will open up the American market for better bands that don't have a wide following here yet, like Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation and Epica, just to name a few. I think it's a good sign that as LC and Evanescene release popular albums here, bands like Epica and The Gathering are touring here.
23.05.2006 - 03:58
Paradise_Lost
Account deleted
Good band when I first discovered them. One of my favourite female-fronted bands actually but as mentioned, they went downhill for me.

Karmacode just doesn't get me like their early works did. In my opinion, Enjoy The Silence is the only noteworthy song on that album.

I still remember the first two songs I heard from Lacuna Coil, 'Falling Again' and 'No Need To Explain'. I still love Falling Again.

Hopefully, Lacuna Coil go back to their roots again but expand on it!
23.05.2006 - 04:45
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.05.2006 at 01:25
With them and Evanescence both having such popular appeal, maybe that will open up the American market for better bands that don't have a wide following here yet, like Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation and Epica, just to name a few.

Why is that a good thing? I am saddened every time good bands "break in to" the American market. It means that they're completely selling out their sound or exploiting their image (which means it's no longer about the music). The American media is very different than the world market when it comes to music and although it means big bucks for the musicians it's usually the end of their creativity. Just look at the latest Within Temptation album. Very accessible.. now all the sudden I see their name all over. Our country will "discover" these "new" bands, use them up and spit them out. (ok so that was the harsh way of putting it... )

I really enjoy LC's In A Reverie but just can't sit through the later releases. Cristina has a nice untrained-normal-girl voice and their early work showcased her natural abilities. I will always love the songs Senzafine and Honeymoon Suite
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
23.05.2006 - 08:15
dagnytaggart
Account deleted
Senzafine isn't on In a Reverie, so you must like at least some of their later music.
I don't think it's fair to say that the American market just radically changes all of these bands out of nowhere. The easiest road to success is to make music that's easy to listen to, that doesn't require much thought, and that's true anywhere, not just here in the states. And really, there's nothing wrong with making "accessible" music; the problem with Lacuna Coil is not that their music is "too accessible," it's that it's too bland, homogenized. I think the example you used, Within Temptation's The Silent Force, is a good example of a band that stuck to their trademark sound, didn't really dumb anything down, but made still made an album that people around the world, from different genres of music, can appreciate. I think Comalies had the potential to do that for Lacuna Coil, although when it didn't provide the massive breakthough they were hoping for they decided to change tactics. My problem with Karmacode is that they don't sound like themselves anymore; they borrowed so much from other popular bands, hoping to obtain the same popularity, that they lost a lot of their individuality.
I think LC and Evanescence's popularity is good because even though they are admittedly (at least on their respective popular albums) subpar compared to other female fronted bands, they are still a lot better than many of the other bands on the radio. They're homogenized versions of their older selves as well as bands that are popular in Europe now, but even so I think they're head and shoulders above the rest, and the reason they're becoming popular is that their variations of the metal themes are different, and people are beginning to appreciate that. I think that's the reason that Children of Bodom and Dream Theater and (don't laugh) Cradle of Filth are also getting popular here - because people are ready for something more extreme and more individual than The Pussycat Dolls and Coldplay.
23.05.2006 - 08:16
dagnytaggart
Account deleted
O yeah, and they'll also tour here. I forgot about that while attempting to make some kind of point.
23.05.2006 - 10:38
TTF
The first LC album I heard was Unleashed Memories, and it will always remain my favourite of theirs. So no, Karmacode didn't exactly meet my expectations (and I doubt any album of theirs will ever have as great an impact on me as Unleashed Memories did)... but you know what? I still have all the respect in the world for these guys & gal for NOT changing who they are. We can' t expect them to put out the same album every time. To me, their latest release does still sound like them, regardless of what musical aspects they experimented with. (And I agree with the comment about nu-metal relying heavily on basslines and guitar work.) I also second the thought that a single voice isn't what makes something more 'R&B' or more 'pop'. What DOES make it more appealing to a wider audience, however, is a strong melodic hook. Lacuna Coil have clearly done their homework in that department this time around, and hey, good on them for that. I don't think there's a whole lot they could do to lose me as a fan, personally. Even if they DO put out stuff I'm not thrilled with, I'll always have their past material to look back upon and enjoy.

Oh, and is Cristina really dating one of the guys from Korn now? The last I heard, it was Jim Root from Slipknot. Whatever tickles your pickle...
23.05.2006 - 10:42
Hybrid_Killer
Account deleted
In a Reveries is brilliant, Unleashed is to to a lesser degree....

Comalies was decent but all the songs tend to blur into one another after the 2nd song (Heaven's a Lie) and Karmacode drives nails (of the unpleasant, un- deathmetal kind) into my poor ears.
23.05.2006 - 12:15
dagnytaggart
Account deleted
Written by TTF on 23.05.2006 at 10:38

Oh, and is Cristina really dating one of the guys from Korn now? The last I heard, it was Jim Root from Slipknot. Whatever tickles your pickle...

Nope, she's still with Mr. Slipknot. They're kind of a sweet couple actually, cute his and her myspace pics. And yeah, I'm serious.
Anyway, it's not just that they experimented with nu-metal, because really, my biggest problem with nu-metal isn't how it sounds because there's nothing wrong with catchy music - my problem is the shitty lyrics, lack of differentiation between the bands in the genre, and the utter disposablility of the music. I think that those are the aspects that Lacuna Coil are starting to pick up. They went from
Quote:

When did I hear this wind before
change like this to a deeper roar?
I'm starting to bleed another way
I just need some time to complete myself

to
Quote:

What? Damn, you're right!
Dare is about obsession
It's something inside

There are some songs that are still very good and still focus on the lyrics and making them powerful and poetic (check out the lyrics to Within Me or In Visible Light and you'll see what I mean), but then there are some that just seem like they were trying to get the song done and didn't care or know how comical "What? Damn, you're right!" sounds.
23.05.2006 - 17:21
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Written by Guest on 23.05.2006 at 12:15

Nope, she's still with Mr. Slipknot. They're kind of a sweet couple actually, cute his and her myspace pics. And yeah, I'm serious.
Anyway, it's not just that they experimented with nu-metal, because really, my biggest problem with nu-metal isn't how it sounds because there's nothing wrong with catchy music - my problem is the shitty lyrics, lack of differentiation between the bands in the genre, and the utter disposablility of the music. I think that those are the aspects that Lacuna Coil are starting to pick up. They went from
Quote:

well i correct my mistake i might have said korn but it is a guy from slipknot still i guess you guys got the idea of my post..
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
23.05.2006 - 23:23
TTF
Written by Guest on 23.05.2006 at 12:15

Quote:

When did I hear this wind before
change like this to a deeper roar?
I'm starting to bleed another way
I just need some time to complete myself

to
Quote:

What? Damn, you're right!
Dare is about obsession
It's something inside

There are some songs that are still very good and still focus on the lyrics and making them powerful and poetic (check out the lyrics to Within Me or In Visible Light and you'll see what I mean), but then there are some that just seem like they were trying to get the song done and didn't care or know how comical "What? Damn, you're right!" sounds.

Okay, I'm definitely with you 100% on that one. The first time I heard "Fragile", my immediate response was "WHAT is he saying?" and when I looked at the lyrics, that was indeed what he was saying. So for sure, I know what you mean on the deeper, more poetic lyrics. I agree, "Within Me" and "In Visible Light" are gems in that department, whereas a number of the other songs don't quite live up to those standards.

The his and hers Myspace pics were too funny. "This is what I look like when I get mad"
08.06.2006 - 18:39
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
To me there is only one phase in Lacuna Coil's career, and that is the "hmm, another female fronted, commercial band" phase. In the beginning they aped the "beauty and the beast" sound, then as tastes changed, they aped the nu-metallic "Evanescence" sound. Still, they were always just adapting to whatever was popular at the time. Their lyrics are just as trite now as they used to be (I mean come on, those early albums are like the sort of stuff a depressed high school kid would write).

With all this said, I dont actually hate this band or anything. I am merely setting the record straight, defining the band for what it is and as it wants to be defined. It must also be said that the band themselves dont try to pretend to be anything else than a commercial metal band and considering how popular they are becoming, they are obviously successful at that.
08.06.2006 - 19:31
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.05.2006 at 01:25

Also, as someone who loves female fronted bands, it's nice to see the one that got me into them and one of my first real metal bands make it big. With them and Evanescence both having such popular appeal, maybe that will open up the American market for better bands that don't have a wide following here yet, like Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation and Epica, just to name a few. I think it's a good sign that as LC and Evanescene release popular albums here, bands like Epica and The Gathering are touring here.

Not a wide following? Especially Nightwish and Within Temptation have a VERY big fanbase. Actually, I would definitly call these bands mainstream. They even play their videos on mtv. Nightwish and Within Temptation are already passed the stage of "being unknown". Most people know them.

I guess Lacuna Coil is mainly taking advantage of the popularity of Evanescence. They exist longer, but in the past they were only known in the metal scene. Now with the whole Evanescene thingie people also start to try other female fronted bands, and I guess Lacuna Coil is very similar to Evanescence. I see Lacuna Coil as a commercial band that will meant next to nothing for the metal scene or the general music scene, but hey, the songs are catchy and listenable, so it isn't that bad.

"Comalies" is the only album that had a few good moments. Such as "Unspoken" and "Heaven is a Lie" had this typical Evanescence-catchiness in them, but in a positive way. They were nice songs to hear while shuffling your playlist or listening to the radio. However, I would never select those songs. Lacuna Coil is just too mediocre for that.
08.06.2006 - 20:03
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
@Blackgir - she meant that these bands would become popular in USA, they are obviously quite popular in Europe already...
08.06.2006 - 20:16
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 08.06.2006 at 18:39

To me there is only one phase in Lacuna Coil's career, and that is the "hmm, another female fronted, commercial band" phase. In the beginning they aped the "beauty and the beast" sound, then as tastes changed, they aped the nu-metallic "Evanescence" sound. Still, they were always just adapting to whatever was popular at the time. Their lyrics are just as trite now as they used to be (I mean come on, those early albums are like the sort of stuff a depressed high school kid would write).

With all this said, I dont actually hate this band or anything. I am merely setting the record straight, defining the band for what it is and as it wants to be defined. It must also be said that the band themselves dont try to pretend to be anything else than a commercial metal band and considering how popular they are becoming, they are obviously successful at that.

I have nothing to add to that, except that Lacuna Coil is the typical band in whih every album (meyba except the last) has a few awesome, truly enjoyable songs and about 70% are fillers.
08.06.2006 - 21:46
Revenant
Account deleted
I don't like the guitar or male vocals but otherwise it's not bad
08.06.2006 - 22:31
Ziom
Hmmm... wasn't Christina dating Lacunas guitarist once? She left him for Jim Root from Slipknot and they are still together in a band?

As for Karmacode... well imho their previous release was nu-metallish and was a sign of a new direction they chose. Karmacode is good, it's catchy, athough I really feel that they should get rid of the male vocalist. He simply doesn't fit imho and was ruining good moments in their previous songs. Maybe except for older releases, when all of this had sense. But with their nu style... not.
09.06.2006 - 19:47
Daru Jericho
Prior to Karmacode they were a good band. For me, they created all these different atmospheres and soundscapes that aren't really conventional gothic metal. The nu-metal sound in Karmacode desercarated this sadly.

Also, has Christina moved to the US to hang out with the Slipknot dude or does she still live in Italy?
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.06.2006 - 20:02
Vunts
I never realized this about Karmacode before reading a certain review, but the music could easily be passed off as Korn songs. Most of them at least. The song i really like from the album however is the last track. I believe it was a cover version of a Depeche Mode song, but it just sounds damn awesome.
Christina's vocals had improved on Karmacode, but they were too often literally backed up by the male's (Andrea was the name i think).

My Wings is one of my favourite songs that they have created. Also Falling, Falling Again and Stars belong to the category of the most beautiful songs i've heard. It consists of about 10 or 20 songs, but that's besides the point.

I think that the album Comalies, is my favourite as a whole. The least songs that i dislike.

As for their image: Christina is pretty, no doubt about that. And she may date whoever she wants. It's not like everyone that makes nu-metal is an idiot. The Slipknot dude may as well be a very intellectual person. I have no knowledge of the person, but i'm just saying this to shut up all the fools that complain about it "amagaad she is dating a slipshit member die pls". And about the mainstreaminess...well, who could have honestly said in the beginning that they won't go down that path? I think it was written all over them. A pretty lead singer and accessible music. Not that i think less of them though. I don't care how "low" they'll go to get what they want. The old material doesn't suffer because of it.
21.07.2006 - 03:01
The Bass
I Love Metal, I love Metal Chicks, I Love Cristina Scabbia!
22.07.2006 - 10:44
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by jupitreas on 08.06.2006 at 18:39

Strange, I find the lyrics on "In A Reverie" very personal, despite their simplicity. But, if all these lyrics are are "depressed high school kid" trash, then let it be known that I'm proud of my "depressed high school kid" roots. The lyrics on their newer CD Karmacode are the most useless lyrics of the band's career, but the lyrics on In A Reverie are perfectly somber with a mild touch of inspiration throughout. Sure the lyrics are simple in their structure, but some of the most interesting things I've heard people say are said in 1 sentence, not in a pretentious paragraph.

I also find their initial CD (as well as their 2nd as it's rather similar) to not sound like many female fronted bands. If they are so typical, could someone direct me to the masses of bands that L.C. copied? Because as far as I'm concerned, in 1999, there were many more generic death metal bands out there than there were bands that Lacuna Coil was ripping off. L.C. is definitely a band produced to be easily heard, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's something I think some bands out there would benefit from, not lose from. Not everyone demands difficult music, or if they do, do not want it all the time.

Written by AntaeusM on 08.06.2006 at 19:31

Not a wide following? Especially Nightwish and Within Temptation have a VERY big fanbase. Actually, I would definitly call these bands mainstream. They even play their videos on mtv. Nightwish and Within Temptation are already passed the stage of "being unknown". Most people know them.

I guess Lacuna Coil is mainly taking advantage of the popularity of Evanescence. They exist longer, but in the past they were only known in the metal scene. Now with the whole Evanescene thingie people also start to try other female fronted bands, and I guess Lacuna Coil is very similar to Evanescence. I see Lacuna Coil as a commercial band that will meant next to nothing for the metal scene or the general music scene, but hey, the songs are catchy and listenable, so it isn't that bad.

"Comalies" is the only album that had a few good moments. Such as "Unspoken" and "Heaven is a Lie" had this typical Evanescence-catchiness in them, but in a positive way. They were nice songs to hear while shuffling your playlist or listening to the radio. However, I would never select those songs. Lacuna Coil is just too mediocre for that.

I have to disagree that Lacuna Coil meant nothing to the metal scene. They were a perfect bridge for me back in 1999 to experiment with listening to even more non-male singer bands, but they are decidedly metal, not hard rock. They also never featured the extreme male vocals that Theatre of Tragedy or Tristania had used, which for me gave L.C. a different place in my catalog of metal.

I strongly feel that "Karmacode" is a terrible album, but I continue to listen to In A Reverie regularly, and don't see a reason why I won't always come back to it. Lacuna Coil is not a mediocre band in my book, and despite their newest release never will be when it comes to their first 2 discs. I recognize that my interests in metal are often at odds with many metalheads, but I'll stand by Lacuna Coil's earlier work until I can't stand anymore.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
22.07.2006 - 15:31
nick35
Account deleted
ive heard a the new album and it was pretty cool. christiana scabbia has a very powerful voice
23.07.2006 - 04:10
Hyvaarin
Written by The Bass on 21.07.2006 at 03:01

I Love Metal, I love Metal Chicks, I Love Cristina Scabbia!

That's exactly the attitude that has let Lacuna Coil succeed.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."