Metal Storm logo
Lacuna Coil: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 06:39
I thought we needed a new Lacuna Coil topic since the old one was pretty popular. Even though we're starting over, I'll make this a fairly tradition first post and introduce the band anyway.
Italy's Lacuna Coil are one of the most popular female fronted metal acts around. Although they're a pretty good band, much of their popularity can be attributed to the fact that their lead singer, Cristina Scabbia, is hot. (see footnote) This has drawn a great deal of criticism from some, who claim that LC is "all tits and no talent."
In the minds of many fans, Lacuna Coil have gone through 3 stages of development. There was the "wow, this is a great band" stage of their first 2 albums and EPs. In a Reverie and Unleashed Memories featured great vocals, intelligent, sensitive lyrics, and overall solid music. During this era, they toured with bands like Moonspell and The Gathering, and their popularity was limited mostly to a European audience.
Then came Comalies, the second "ok, that's commercial but I guess it's still pretty good" stage. Although some of the older fans didn't like the new LC sound, Comalies brought them world-wide popularity and a second stage gig at Ozzfest. It really was a pretty good album; admittedly, there's a little bit of nu-metal in there, but it makes it a little catchier and accessible. My only caveat is that the lyrics also took a nu-metal turn and lost the poeticism of their earlier work. As is always the case when a formerly unknown band becomes popular, there was the outcry that they "sold out." However, a much more common attitude was that yeah, they're getting popular, but I would rather hear them on the radio than any of the nu-metal crap they're supplanting.
Then there's the "wtf is this" stage, aka Karmacode. There's some good stuff on there - In Visible Light and Enjoy the Silence are 2 worthy tracks, IMO - but Karmacode was clearly created to get at the valuable Hot Topic crowd. Undoubtedly Lacuna Coil will gain some fans for this effort, but among many older and, dare I say it, more metal fans, it has inspired outright hatred. LC is scheduled to play the Ozzfest mainstage this year.

-------
03.06.2008 - 02:41
DorianGray

I have all albums of this band but my music taste is a bit changing I guess

nowadays its mostly Folk/viking metal and black/melodic death

but still its a good band .. got loads of good memories !
----
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
12.06.2008 - 09:29
senzafine

I think Lacuna Coil will always have a special place in my heart. I have Unleashed Memories, Comalies, and Karmacode. I really enjoy Unleashed Memories. Though I've moved on to other bands, I still enjoy giving them a listen once in a while. I like Trance Awake leading into Senzafine (technically from the Halflife EP).

I hear their working on their new album? very excited. hope they don't disappoint.
21.01.2009 - 12:19
Mariamne

I can consider myself among the many older and more metal fans, I guess. In a Reverie and Unleashed Memories will always be among my all time fave albums but I was really dissappointed on the Karmacode tour, like: wtf is this nu-metal pose? They still have some good songs but they have definetely lost the spirit...
21.01.2009 - 12:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I don't know about the music, but FUCK ME THAT WOMAN IS HOT
21.01.2009 - 19:51
annodomini

I agree with those who said that Karmacode is like KoRn and disagree with those whos said that not like Korn, but like Nu-Metal in general. They sound like korn because of that Bass sound in Karmacode. There is nothing more like Nu-Metal execpt that Kornish Bass.
----
the riddle wants to be...
22.01.2009 - 08:19
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Valentin B on 21.01.2009 at 12:32

I don't know about the music, but FUCK ME THAT WOMAN IS HOT

I wholeheartedly second that opinion
----
Coldgrits
05.03.2009 - 15:40
Vunts

They have a new song on their Myspace and shortly put: I like it. It doesn't feel similar to Karmacode in terms of bass at least
27.04.2009 - 09:46
Jason W.
Razorbliss
The new CD is on its way to me now, so hopefully I'll have it in my hands in the next few days! All the tracks I heard on the band's myspace sounded high quality - and yes, thankfully NOT like Karmacode. I'm pleased the band has returned to at least producing music that has vitality and enthusiasm; the previous album seemed wrought with production issues and indecision. I think the new "American" style production was what the band needed to bring back a focus. It's nothing like their first two albums, but I'm always willing to embrace the new sound if it's worth it as it seems so
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
27.04.2009 - 14:16
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Never listened to their first two ones, but I found Karma Code and Comalies did not impress me a lot, so when i heard shallow life, I found that I quite like it.
----
loves 小巫
08.05.2009 - 14:16
Porcelain Doll

I loved their early EPs, and I wouldn't have found them if it wasn't for hearing Comalies first, through a mate of mine. Admittedly, Karmacode is my least favourite release from them. Their cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence was the highlight of the entire album for me.

Well, I haven't heard Shallow Life yet. What do people think, is it worth a listen?
08.05.2009 - 14:19
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Porcelain Doll on 08.05.2009 at 14:16

I loved their early EPs, and I wouldn't have found them if it wasn't for hearing Comalies first, through a mate of mine. Admittedly, Karmacode is my least favourite release from them. Their cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence was the highlight of the entire album for me.

Well, I haven't heard Shallow Life yet. What do people think, is it worth a listen?

I think it's worth a listen, although it's not their best work, but I've heard of many others that this album is awful and by far their worst
09.05.2009 - 04:16
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Diabolos on 08.05.2009 at 14:19

Written by Porcelain Doll on 08.05.2009 at 14:16

I think it's worth a listen, although it's not their best work, but I've heard of many others that this album is awful and by far their worst

I think Shallow Life is surely worth the listen, but is it a classic album? I don't think so either. It has really good tracks, and really forgettable tracks. If you like the video track, "Spellbound," you'll like about half the songs or so, which is about where I am. I'll stick with their older 3 full-lengths for regular listening though!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
20.05.2009 - 13:32
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, listening to Shallow Life right now... Gosh, I'm so ambivalent about this album. On one hand I think songs are much more catchier than on Karmacode, Scabbia is getting better and better on vocals and several tracks are good. But on the other hand, there is nothing that would amaze me, take my breath away as In A Reverie for example did and still does when I listen to it.

I guess Shallow Life will be one of those easy listenings from time to time.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.05.2009 - 14:13
IronAngel

Shallow Life is definetely an "easy listening" album. That doesn't mean it's bad, however. Au contraire, I found it quite fresh and interesting. My personal favorite is Unleashed Memories, and the Lacuna Coil on Shallow Life isn't really the same band. But then, I didn't like the direction they went with Comalies and Karmacode: they got progressively worse, IMO.

Shallow Life is quite accurately described as "pop metal": the production is very similar to mainstream US music, the songwriting is simple and the vocal rythm and melodies do bring to mind certain chart hits. I like this. It's new, it's quite unique in its way, and it works. It doesn't send shivers up my spine, nor does it keep me enspelled in my chair for the duration of the album, but it's catchy and entertaining.

I do recommend the album, but with a warning that it doesn't conform to the typical norms of metal. It's not epic, but it's a decent release.
23.05.2009 - 19:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
Still haven't listened their new album, I hope it will be a nice surprise for me, who usually don't like them.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
24.05.2009 - 01:23
Ag Fox
Angel No More
If you don't like them before, I don't think you'll find shallow life too refreshing.
----
loves 小巫
07.06.2009 - 11:17
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
With no doubt, a commercial band by the easy music and by the image (of Cristina mostly). I usually don't sympathize commercial bands, but talking specifically for this band i like having some listenings from them sometimes, especially from their best album i think, Comalies
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
12.06.2009 - 11:43
Elodie Artour
Slania
I personally find "Shallow Life" too boring and mainstream for my taste. I do listen to Pop music and such stuff but hey...this is Lacuna Coil! Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything from their great, unique previous style. LC sound totally like some kind of American alternative newbies. I'm sure they can do much better even if they've really gone in this direction. However, I'm not quite sure what to expect from their next album, though. "Karmacode" is pretty nice, having its catchy melodies and so on but "Shallow Life" is simply lame. In addition, there are no true ballads on it. (Which is a pity because I like this kind of songs very much. ) I had big hopes and expectations for Lacuna's new stuff and I got disappointed. Such a shame...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
16.06.2009 - 08:18
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Elodie Artour on 12.06.2009 at 11:43

I personally find "Shallow Life" too boring and mainstream for my taste. I do listen to Pop music and such stuff but hey...this is Lacuna Coil! Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything from their great, unique previous style. LC sound totally like some kind of American alternative newbies. I'm sure they can do much better even if they've really gone in this direction. However, I'm not quite sure what to expect from their next album, though. "Karmacode" is pretty nice, having its catchy melodies and so on but "Shallow Life" is simply lame. In addition, there are no true ballads on it. (Which is a pity because I like this kind of songs very much. ) I had big hopes and expectations for Lacuna's new stuff and I got disappointed. Such a shame...

Yes, they sound totally like American nu metal newbies! And, from the announcements before the album, that was their intention. Considering I've lived in the US my entire life and have had nu metal shoved down my throat for over a decade now, Lacuna Coil now possess all the things I dislike about American mainstream rock production. And, strangely enough, they have gained zero airplay in the local radio stations (or near zero), so I don't think it worked out so well for them. To me, American mainstream rock "production" is a soul-sucking affair, focusing only on vocal hooks, and taking out any guitar impact and infusing canned/cliche drumming. Lacuna Coil have done exactly that - though I still like the single they released.

I haven't listened to the album, though, since my last post, and probably never will again.
----
28.06.2009 - 18:00
Elodie Artour
Slania
I'm gonna buy it simply because there are a few nice songs on it. (As for example, their first single "Spellbound".) Moreover, "Shallow Life" is a Lacuna Coil album after all and I'm a huge fan of this band.

Zero airplay?! Gosh, that sounds bad. Now it's not just the change of direction. I'm pretty sure they're gonna lose some fans in the nearly future just because of that release which is simply not fair. However, LC somehow deserve this...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
01.07.2009 - 10:30
Ernis
狼獾
I bought "Shallow Life"....well I wouldn't say it's disastrous....there indeed are some catchy tracks on it....but I agree it is different from the poetical and passionate first albums.....then again....you cannot expect a band to stay in stagnation....Of the new songs I like "Survive" and "Not Enough"....the second track's also fine....
22.09.2009 - 05:16
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well Shallow Life is pretty nice, as some of you have said, it's an easy listen, nothing outstanding, but better than Karmacode. much better.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
23.09.2009 - 22:02
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 22.09.2009 at 05:16

Well Shallow Life is pretty nice, as some of you have said, it's an easy listen, nothing outstanding, but better than Karmacode. much better.

+1 on that. I have no special opinion about this album, I liked it much more than Karamcode, the songs are cathy, the album is variable, easy to listen, Cristina's voice is perfect as always.

+ LOL @ I Like It video
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
06.11.2009 - 23:39
SatyriconChick

I love Lacuna Coil, particularly their older releases. My favorite has to be Comalies. When I first heard Shallow Life, I was pretty shocked. I can't say I hate the album, but it's very different and difficult to swallow. Still, they blew me away when I saw them live in September.
05.07.2010 - 13:32
Ziom

I don't understand one thing - why don't they fire Andrea Ferro? He's atrocious and ruins the entire band. They'd be better without him.
26.07.2010 - 07:29
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I've heard a few songs. Swamped, Closer, Our Truth, To Live is to Hide and their cover of Enjoy The Silence, all of which I enjoy.

Then I heard their new song "I Like It" and I really didn't. Hated it so much I wrote a negative review for it on Encyclopedia Metallium.