3 users:
Band: Lake Of Blood
Album: Heed The Primal Calling
Release date: July 2008

01. Nameless I Arise
02. Heed The Primal Calling
03. The Darkest Path
04. Lake Of Blood

Lake Of Blood is an American band, signed to Milkweed Records, playing archetypical but nevertheless enjoying Black Metal. A quick search reveals that they are not featured on Metal-Archives (omfg n00b lolz?), which, it must be said, makes information about them rather hard to find. Thankfully there are still official label websites though, which tells us that this four-track EP is about "the story of man's return to a primal state of existence, free from the spoils of civilization" (hence the title).

With such a concept, Black metal is in my opinion the way to play, especially of the slightly raw, punkish brand, with Drudkh-esque passages thrown in. Track three "The Darkest Path" is my favorite song from this EP, its melodic guitars and Carpathian Forest-like punkish attitude mix very good. Every track has its own interesting riff, melody or vocal part though, and since it is quite short (roughly twenty minutes), my index-finger is constantly flirting with the repeat-button.

Vocalist "Haagr" sounds like a mix between the vocalist of Drudkh and the Ash Pool vocalist(s), though they are perhaps a bit too obscure and underground to use them as a reference. Take it from me that Haagr sounds raw and "epic", but can also blurt out a maniacal, desperate scream. That may sound like a description of Burzum's mid-era music and vocal type, and frankly, that is not far from the truth.

The conclusion of this review will be the same conclusion that a lot of bands deserve these days: good stuff, if you're knee-deep into the genre you will dig this. I don't want to attach any philosophical chatter about the lack of originality these days, as it simply should not matter with good music. Because that's what this is, good music.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 22.07.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 77 users
22.07.2008 - 11:53
FOOCK Nam

Well I enjoy more in their split 2008, in their song Eternal In My Domain, it has traditional black element as double bass drum. This EP is good but I find a little bit cheesy as mixed raw with "epic", e.g the song The Darkest Path, IMO that song starts a little bit cheesy by drum, raw guitar but luckily it cover with the guitar at the end. I think this EP is enjoyable, 7.0 for me. But to compare with Ethernal or Envenom Ascension, AX, Bound By Entrails, its not equally.
24.07.2008 - 11:20
pdepmcp

...they are on metal-archives now, added the day after this review: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540258516
14.11.2016 - 23:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like the intro part about this review, well band is there now lol and I agree raw , punkish sound it has
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6141 | This month: 4